Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2018 13:37:16(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
When I enter a loco that has a factory installed MFX decoder, the MS2 will recognize the loco and install the loco onto the list with no problem.

BUT... if I install a Märklin MFX decoder when I convert an engine to digital this seems to be the normal sequence.

It will not automatically install (find) the loco. I have to go to the "Find" button and it will search and try and locate the engine. Then when finished it will say "No Loco Found". I will them repeat the same sequence with the same results, only after the second time one additional loco icon will "magically"appear along the bottom of the screen. If I go to that newly installed icon, there the loco will be installed and ready to control.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way I could be doing it better? Is this how others are doing it also?

Looking for feedback.

Thanks! Chuck
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2018 20:52:30(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I would not expect that to be the normal as designed sequence of things. If its primary decoder protocol is mfx, then I would expect it to behave just like a factory mfx decoder, for registration timing - because thats the whole point of it being mfx. Otherwise I'd use DCC if I 've got to do a bunch of work myself.

That said, I've never upgraded a loco, so will look forward to folks commenting that have done upgrades by installing marklin mfx decoders.

Which version of the decoder are you using (and firmware version on it)... I expect such a question may get asked.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2018 21:48:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The last upgrades that I've done with mLd3 Marklin decoders have all registered first time after I've applied the power with the converted loco on the track. It comes up with a generic name and no picture. You then have to enter the name and change the picture and the these changes will be saved on the decoder.

I did have some problems like that with ESU M4 decoders before I upgraded the MS2 sofware to V2.5. Now these register first time too.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dominator  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2018 13:07:20(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Unfortunately I am still having problems getting my 39580 to register even after upgrading the MS2's to v 2.7.Flapper Flapper [ originally put 2.5 duh ]Blink The mfx word just flashes continuously. If I got to FIND LOCO, it sits there with the interior lights flashing about 6 times then nothing. It then goes to the next protocol [ might be dcc or mm2 ] but does nothing. The loco runs very well on analogue though. Any Ideas???????

Dereck

Edited by user 03 June 2018 03:27:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2018 21:33:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately I am still having problems getting my 39580 to register even after upgrading the MS2"s to v 2.5. The mfx word just flashes continuously. If I got to FIND LOCO, it sits there with the interior lights flashing about 6 times then nothing. It then goes to the next protocol [ might be dcc or mm2 ] but does nothing. The loco runs very well on analogue though. Any Ideas???????

Dereck

2.5 or 2.7? version 2.7 is the current software level for an ms2. If you cannot find someone with a cs2 to upgrade it for you then send it to Toottoot in Christchurch. I'm sure they will do it for you.
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2018 03:25:32(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
My Error. Its 2.7 we have upgraded to.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 03 June 2018 10:18:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Unfortunately I am still having problems getting my 39580 to register even after upgrading the MS2's to v 2.7.Flapper Flapper [ originally put 2.5 duh ]Blink The mfx word just flashes continuously. If I got to FIND LOCO, it sits there with the interior lights flashing about 6 times then nothing. It then goes to the next protocol [ might be dcc or mm2 ] but does nothing. The loco runs very well on analogue though. Any Ideas???????

Dereck

Hi Dereck,

I've spent some times trying to discover what a 39580 is. I checked on the Marklin database and I tried googling the number, but no luck!

Could you enlighten us please? It might help us to try and find out what your problem is.

Thanks.
Ray
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2018 00:34:46(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
When I enter a loco that has a factory installed MFX decoder, the MS2 will recognize the loco and install the loco onto the list with no problem.

BUT... if I install a Märklin MFX decoder when I convert an engine to digital this seems to be the normal sequence.

It will not automatically install (find) the loco. I have to go to the "Find" button and it will search and try and locate the engine. Then when finished it will say "No Loco Found". I will them repeat the same sequence with the same results, only after the second time one additional loco icon will "magically"appear along the bottom of the screen. If I go to that newly installed icon, there the loco will be installed and ready to control.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way I could be doing it better? Is this how others are doing it also?

Looking for feedback.

Thanks! Chuck

Hello Chuck,

also @RayF in post #7 were asking, which type of decoder you got for what? This art # 39580 does not exist at Märklin.

But I found a mixed lot from Märklin of decoder, devices, power supply at Ebay under the number W39580.

https://picclick.de/W395...rteile-392017557687.html

This mixed lot was sold in April 2018 - have you been the buyer of these decoders? Or for which decoder you are asking for support?

regards

Wolfgang
Offline dominator  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2018 05:36:48(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Looks like I am good at getting numbers stuffed up. It's a 37580 Turquoise 491 railbus

Lasse has offered to take it home and attempt a reset on it.

Dereck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2018 11:46:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Looks like I am good at getting numbers stuffed up. It's a 37580 Turquoise 491 railbus

Dereck

Dereck, it's probably a good idea to also reset the MS2 to factory default in case it has a "hidden registration" for your loco.
Ray
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2018 19:27:31(UTC)
TEEWolf

Dereck

Indeed it is a good idea starting a search for male function of a decoder by a reset. The last step (shortly before you get mad Wink) you change the decoder. Sometimes this happens to me too. Once I even bought a new computer.

As far as I remember it were problems with Windows 2000 - horrible software. XP from MS was then a pretty good one.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 05 June 2018 06:05:05(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Dereck, it's probably a good idea to also reset the MS2 to factory default in case it has a "hidden registration" for your loco.

Hi, Ray:

But if you reset the MS2, do you not end up with the original version of the software the MS2 came with? That would result in having to have the MS2 updated by a CS.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Silvano
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 05 June 2018 07:23:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
But if you reset the MS2, do you not end up with the original version of the software the MS2 came with?
Yes, you don't.
"Factory defaults" means you get a clean slate with the latest firmware that was installed on the MS2.

The MS2 does not keep a copy of the previous or original firmware. You cannot downgrade the firmware using the "Factory defaults" function AKA "reset".
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#14 Posted : 05 June 2018 13:24:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you, Ho, very helpful to know. BigGrin
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 05 June 2018 20:21:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi, Ray:

But if you reset the MS2, do you not end up with the original version of the software the MS2 came with? That would result in having to have the MS 2 updated by a CS.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Silvano

Hi Silvano,

no, you are missing something, indeed. The reset of a MS 2 is only going back to the standard factory settings, but not back to the software version you got, when you bought the MS 2. A new software backup by a CS is not necessary again.

I just tested it with my MS 2 and CS 3+. Of course the language is changed to German. The MS 2 with the green knob (Trix) is set back to DCC, because this is the standard signal format for the DC model railroader. The red knob version (= MS 2 Märklin) stays at the mfx format. All your active set up locos were deleted, etc.. So before doing a reset you may copy all details for your set up locos onto a locomotive card to reload your personal settings quickly.

@dominator shall only reset his loco decoder, not the MS 2.

regards

TEEWolf
Offline dominator  
#16 Posted : 06 June 2018 00:41:40(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Gremlins and bugs rule again.Bored Bored Cool Cool
we had to delete all locos from my MS2 to enable the 37850 mfx loco to re-load itself back onto the MS2. see other threads for the reasons.
Dereck

Edited by user 06 June 2018 04:47:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 06 June 2018 07:24:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
The MS 2 with the green knob (Trix) is set back to DCC, because this is the standard signal format for the DC model railroader. The red knob version (= MS 2 Märklin) stays at the mfx format.
I thought I knew a bit about digital MRR, but this is completely new to me.
I thought that green-knob MS2s activate all track protocols after a factory reset while red-knob MS2s activate all track protocols after a factory reset.
All my MS2s activate DCC and MM and mfx after a factory reset, all show the Märklin logo on power up. Never noticed any difference in operation between red and green knobs.
When I mix red and green knobs then the green knob will always be the master - and that's the only aspect where I noticed the colour makes a difference.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 06 June 2018 07:54:26(UTC)
Goofy

Märklin do verified that too many protocols involved do disturb sometimes on the digital system like on the track.
When i use Lenz there is only pure DCC command.
So i make sure too by disabled other protocols in the digital decoder so only DCC allows.
It´s possible that MS2 needs to change first about protocols to choice before you entering mfx loco on the track.
And i recommended you only alone locomotive on the track by entering it first time.
This to registration faster.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 06 June 2018 08:00:30(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The MS 2 with the green knob (Trix) is set back to DCC, because this is the standard signal format for the DC model railroader. The red knob version (= MS 2 Märklin) stays at the mfx format.
I thought that green-knob MS2s activate all track protocols after a factory reset while red-knob MS2s activate all track protocols after a factory reset.
All my MS2s activate DCC and MM and mfx after a factory reset, all show the Märklin logo on power up. Never noticed any difference in operation between red and green knobs.
When I mix red and green knobs then the green knob will always be the master - and that's the only aspect where I noticed the colour makes a difference.

When i did had Trix MS2 version 2.5 and reset MS2 it does show up mfx and DCC protocol.
Those two protocol are standard even with Märklin red knob.

H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 06 June 2018 17:31:26(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps I was not detailed enough. Of course were all track formats reloaded, but the set up array is different. Green (Trix) has DCC and red (Märklin) has mfx at the first place.

But did you hear of a "bootloader update" process of a MS 2?
Offline baggio  
#21 Posted : 06 June 2018 17:34:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
TeeWolf: "But did you hear of a "bootloader update" process of a MS 2?"

I did not. Please explain. Thank you. BigGrin
Offline TEEWolf  
#22 Posted : 06 June 2018 17:52:35(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Märklin do verified that too many protocols involved do disturb sometimes on the digital system like on the track.
When i use Lenz there is only pure DCC command.
So i make sure too by disabled other protocols in the digital decoder so only DCC allows.
It´s possible that MS2 needs to change first about protocols to choice before you entering mfx loco on the track.
And i recommended you only alone locomotive on the track by entering it first time.
This to registration faster.

I don't think so. Märklin is just flexible. Felxibility is one of the very big chances and advantages of every digital process! And you know: the whole world is going digital, but not to an artificial intelligence (AI), because this AI does not exist. It is only stochastic theory - but this is another theme.

But at Märklin you can select the track format as you want by just setting or removing a small tick mark. Very easy, very convenient, very helpful. With a mfx track format you even do not have to remove any other loco from your tracks to get this mfx loco registered.

If a loco is registered faster or slower has something to do with the inside processor, not with the digital protocol. I always get this experience again at my MIST meetings, where a CS 1 is used and it need ages till it has my mfx loco registered compared to my CS 3. But this is the technical progress.

If Lenz knows only DCC inside, sorry, but then you can the controller throw away, if you want to use another track format. This is logics.
Offline TEEWolf  
#23 Posted : 09 June 2018 03:56:53(UTC)
TEEWolf

Indeed you got a MS 2 too and should be informed. But it looks like you are not the only one who does not know it.

A boot loader update has to be done either for a CS 3 or a MS 2 when the running update was irregularly disconnected or interrupted and the update was not finished.

But while for a MS 2 normally the update starts automatically, for a boot loader update you have to press the red knob while you stick the MS 2 cable into the CS interface. Afterwards you have to start the update manually.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#24 Posted : 09 June 2018 05:44:20(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you TeeWolfe. BigGrin

And now for something completely different as an intermission:

Offline RayF  
#25 Posted : 09 June 2018 10:43:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Indeed you got a MS 2 too and should be informed. But it looks like you are not the only one who does not know it.

A boot loader update has to be done either for a CS 3 or a MS 2 when the running update was irregularly disconnected or interrupted and the update was not finished.

But while for a MS 2 normally the update starts automatically, for a boot loader update you have to press the red knob while you stick the MS 2 cable into the CS interface. Afterwards you have to start the update manually.

Indeed, Silvano is not the only one. I have had an MS2 for years and I had no idea there was such a thing as a "boot loader update".

Can you point me to where this is documented please? I would like to know more about it in case I might need to do this in the future.

You mention "...while you stick the MS 2 cable into the CS interface". Is this also the case if you use the MS2 with its track box? I have only ever updated my MS2 from another MS2.
Ray
Offline TEEWolf  
#26 Posted : 12 June 2018 03:58:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

A boot loader update has to be done either for a CS 3 or a MS 2 when the running update was irregularly disconnected or interrupted and the update was not finished. 11

Indeed, Silvano is not the only one. I have had an MS2 for years and I had no idea there was such a thing as a "boot loader update".

Can you point me to where this is documented please? I would like to know more about it in case I might need to do this in the future.

You mention "...while you stick the MS 2 cable into the CS interface". Is this also the case if you use the MS2 with its track box? I have only ever updated my MS2 from another MS2.

@RayF - @baggio

it looks like others are not interested or do not want to know anything about it. No further comments in the last two days, when I was searching to find another source of the boot loader update procedure description. I did not found another site.

I cannot say anything about the updates with a CS 2. I only have a CS 3+ and can follow only their instructions. I found the description alone in the German “Help” function of the CS 3. At my CS 3 I tried the English version too, but it did not work. It seems to be another example of these Märklin specials.

The first remark about a boot loader update I found in the manual for a CS 3 at page 32 under the menu

CS 3 > System > System/Settings" - “Boot loader update”

The Märklin manual says: "Only relevant in case of an incomplete CS 3 update."
Well, correct and then? Also no hint for an incomplete MS 2 update. More about such incomplete updates you find in the text at the "Help" function.

First set the correlating tick mark. Normally it is set off. Do not restart the CS 3. You must shut down the CS 3 and then start it again.

Go into the Help function behind the “?” key.

After pressing the “?” button, an overview of the functions in the systems menu pops up. One of them is the procedure for updates and for the boot loader update too.

After describing the procedure for a CS 3 it follows the different procedure for a MS 2. Step 1 to 4 aligns to the CS 3 procedure. Then they describe that you have to press down the red knob and keep it pressed down while you stick the cable from the MS 2 into the CS 3 socket. Then the message occurs a new update is available. Then you follow the known regular procedure.

I could not find and test a procedure for an update between two MS 2.

But you find some information at the FAQs.

https://www.maerklin.de/...-about-maerklin-digital/

But nothing for incomplete updates. Even Tip # 307

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-307.pdf

does not inform at all, although it would be a good place for this information too.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#27 Posted : 12 June 2018 04:47:51(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you for doing all this work, TeeWolf, much appreciated. BigGrin

(Enjoy the World Cup.) ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Minok  
#28 Posted : 12 June 2018 19:40:35(UTC)
Minok

United States   

(having configure the CS3/3+ in German language possibly)

The first remark about a boot loader update I found in the manual for a CS 3 at page 32 under the menu

Well, correct and then? Also no hint for an incomplete MS 2 update. More about such incomplete updates you find in the text at the "Help" function.

First set the correlating tick mark. Normally it is set off. Do not restart the CS 3. You must shut down the CS 3 and then start it again.

After pressing the “?” button, an overview of the functions in the systems menu pops up. One of them is the procedure for updates and for the boot loader update too.

After describing the procedure for a CS 3 it follows the different procedure for a MS 2. Step 1 to 4 aligns to the CS 3 procedure. Then they describe that you have to press down the red knob and keep it pressed down while you stick the cable from the MS 2 into the CS 3 socket. Then the message occurs a new update is available. Then you follow the known regular procedure.

So to get to the instructions on how to do the full forced update of a MS2 using a CS3/3+ on has to:
1) Config the CS3/3+ in German
2) Restart the CS3/3+
3) Access the help menu on CS3 updates and drill down to the info on MS?

Wow thats really easy to find, whats wrong with us not all knowing this. Come on guys.
BTW you know the Vogons are coming through next week, right? The notice has been posted for some time in the filing cabinet in the basement as required.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline TEEWolf  
#29 Posted : 12 June 2018 20:24:15(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

So to get to the instructions on how to do the full forced update of a MS2 using a CS3/3+ on has to:
2) Restart the CS3/3+

Wow thats really easy to find, whats wrong with us not all knowing this. Come on guys.
BTW you know the Vogons are coming through next week, right? The notice has been posted for some time in the filing cabinet in the basement as required.

Minok this makes me really angry. Not reading my posts and try to mock me up. Read my posts, you should understand: it is only for an incomplete update of a MS 2.

Wow, thorough reading first would have helped afterwards. 1
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 15 June 2018 08:08:53(UTC)
H0

But did you hear of a "bootloader update" process of a MS 2?
It has been known for years that bricked MS2s can sometimes be reanimated by holding down the speed knob while pushing the plug into a CS2. This was written several times on this forum.

So far there wasn't a name for that process. Now we can call it "bootloader update".
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#31 Posted : 16 June 2018 08:10:12(UTC)
Goofy

Minok this makes me really angry. Not reading my posts and try to mock me up. Read my posts, you should understand: it is only for an incomplete update of a MS 2.

What about if there is bugs in the CS2/CS3 system?
This means you cannot make complete update for the MS2?
When i did had Trix MS2 there was some defaults but the upload did happens via CS2.
This was happens in the hobby shop for some years ago.
So i did waited until next correct bug fix for the CS2 and this time MS2 did worked.
The Märklin system mess up for the most often.

H0
Offline Purellum  
#32 Posted : 16 June 2018 08:35:04(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

You could try to lure him out with a carrot or get Elmer J. Fudd to help you. LOL LOL LOL

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline David Dewar  
#33 Posted : 16 June 2018 17:26:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

You could try to lure him out with a carrot or get Elmer J. Fudd to help you. LOL LOL LOL

Per.

Cool

Nice one Per. I just about remember Elmer Fudd.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#34 Posted : 17 June 2018 01:50:05(UTC)
TEEWolf

This means you cannot make complete update for the MS2?
When i did had Trix MS2 there was some defaults but the upload did happens via CS2.
This was happens in the hobby shop for some years ago.
So i did waited until next correct bug fix for the CS2 and this time MS2 did worked.
The Märklin system mess up for the most often.

Correct Goofy. It happens to me even with the CS 3+ already. I bought the CS 3 and wanted to update my MS 2. But it did not work.

I wrote an e-mail to Märklin. They answered I should wait for the next update of the CS 3. So I did and magic, it was functioning perfectly. No incomplete update happened, I really was lucky and had no further problems.
Offline TEEWolf  
#35 Posted : 17 June 2018 01:52:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Per.

Cool

Do not know who Elmer J. Fudd is, but he/she must be a funny person.
Offline dominator  
#36 Posted : 17 June 2018 08:17:13(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Heh Heh Heh. Bugs = Bugs Bunny, Elmer J Fudd, the cartoon character who tried to get the better of bugs bunny, in kids cartoons..

Old American cartoon caricatures from, well years ago..

Dereck

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Minok  
#37 Posted : 18 June 2018 20:02:13(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

2) Restart the CS3/3+

Wow, thorough reading first would have helped afterwards. 1

I'm not trying to "mock you up" (whatever that means, but given I don't know what that phrase is I'm not sure).
From your description (which I quoted verbatim, and did read twice) - that is the sequence of things I saw being required to address the particular question. That seemed a bit overly convoluted (by Märklin) to expect a normal user to have any clue how to do it. I'm not sure why your feeling "mocked up".
---
My YouTube Channel: