Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JD3  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2018 21:46:25(UTC)
JD3

United States   
I have a Class 50 Z-scale steam loco from the Marklin US starter set - 81865. I would like to utilize the DH05C-3 decoder for this conversion since another member of this forum stated that he had done that.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of conversion (or a web link on how to perform such an upgrade??

My other locomotives are all Marklin electric class and I am planning to use the Velmo "drop-in" decoders for those (on order right now) - but the Class 50 is such a nice locomotive I would love to have it converted as well.

I plan to use all these with a Marklin Mobile Station 2 that I already have.

I appreciate anyone's help who has relevant experience or advice.

Many Thanks... John

Edited by user 02 June 2018 01:40:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Wal  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2018 13:23:03(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
John,

I use the Velmo drop in decoders with great success. I also use the MS2. I don't have any steam locos because I don't want to go down the soldering path. Things are small enough as it is, so sorry I can't help there.

I removed all the capacitors on the feeder tracks as recommended by Claudius. He also has other power recommendations on his web site.

Cheers,

Wal
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wal
Offline JD3  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2018 23:34:01(UTC)
JD3

United States   
Hi -

Further research makes me think for the Class 50 DCC conversion that I could use the Digitrax DZ126T decoder, cheaper, and easier to get here in the US.

I would like to find an example where anyone has converted this locomotive online.

John

Offline AmalfiCoast  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2018 02:14:36(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
I run z-scale as well as HO. What are some advantages to converting z-scale to digital? Is sound a possibility?

Thanks,
David
Offline JD3  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2018 05:34:44(UTC)
JD3

United States   
Sound is a possibility, I know the Velmo decoders fit Marklin Z locomotives and supported sound.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JD3
Offline Wal  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2018 13:30:17(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
David,

Some other advantages of Digital in Z,

Generally smoother running at VERY low speeds.
Able to run 2 or more locos on the same section of track independently and at different speeds.
Can turn lights on or off, including carriage lighting.
Multi heading of a consist (I've had 3 ludmillas pulling over 20 ore wagons) up 2% curved grades

Cheers,

Wal
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wal
Offline JD3  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2018 23:06:41(UTC)
JD3

United States   
Hi All -

Back on my original topic - does anyone have any experience with a Digital conversion of the Marklin 8154 locomotive?

That's the stand-alone Marklin Z model number of the Class 50 locomotive I am hoping to convert.

Also, does anyone have any links to examples of conversion of a Marklin Z steam locomotive to Digital using a wired decoder?

I searched on YouTube but didn't find anything for Z, just larger scales. Before I "hack into" my loco I would like to see how someone else did it.

Many thanks,

John
Offline Crazy Harry  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2018 23:51:53(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Not the locomotive you want to convert, but here are some difficult (in my opinion) examples.

Conversion of a BR74 Tank Engine: Digitalization of Maerklin Miniclub 8895

Conversion of a Krokodil: Digitalization of Maerklin Miniclub 8856

The above videos may help. He uses the Doehler & Haas decoders.

Found another with a Lenz decoder, but this seems to require more surgery: Digitalization of a Miniclub Pacific. I guess its more difficult since he wants to keep the decoder in the boiler.

Harold.

Edited by user 06 June 2018 03:23:38(UTC)  | Reason: added video of Pacific conversion

Offline Carim  
#9 Posted : 06 June 2018 12:00:37(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
John,

There is a chap called Florian on Youtube who has done this conversion - search under his user name "Bahn Flo". He posts in the Stummis Modellbahnforum under the name "Sturmi84" and from that you can get his contact details - perhaps he can give you some help (but I don't know if he speaks English). Alternatively, you could always post your question on Stummis (some people do post in English) and see if you get a reply.

Carim
Offline JD3  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2022 17:24:33(UTC)
JD3

United States   
OK - 4 years later - I found a good YouTube video that discusses adding a decoder to a Marklin Z steam engine:

My train stuff is in storage right now, but early next year I plan to get it back out and try this conversion to my Class 50 steam loco.

I'll post when I get it working in 2023 !

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JD3