Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2018 03:33:23(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
My loks generate brake squeal noise only when braking from high speed at sharp deceleration like emergency stop. How to change CV so that it generates brake squeal when braking slowly from moderate speed?
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2018 06:28:59(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
My loks generate brake squeal noise only when braking from high speed at sharp deceleration like emergency stop. How to change CV so that it generates brake squeal when braking slowly from moderate speed?

The speed and deceleration are not important.
The braking sound plays as long as the speed is cut to 0 and as the train approaches a slow speed threshold.
If it is not playing as long as you would like, you just need to increase the braking delay so the locomotive takes longer to stop.
I am not sure if there is a CV to adjust the speed threshold for when it starts playing.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2018 07:17:26(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello QQQ1970,

I have a Diesel Locomotive which squeals like crazy over a long stopping distance.

Johnvr Brake Squealing Diesel

I shall let you know which parameters are set when I find my book with the instructions written down !
Something like setting a moderately fast speed, then turn the speed to zero, and set a high CV for the braking threshold.

RegardsBigGrin
John
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2018 08:07:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
How to change CV so that it generates brake squeal when braking slowly from moderate speed?
There is a threshold setting for the squealing brakes sound. Play with it.
By intuition I guess you have to reduce the threshold for your purpose (but sometimes decoder CVs work the other way around and not as you expect it).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline QQQ1970  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2018 10:48:19(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Most of my loks don't squeal unless stopping abruptly from high speed. I am not looking for long squeal but a squeal when ormal braking from moderate speed. Can someone point me to which CV I should set? Pics would help. I have CS3.
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2018 23:00:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
This is an issue I've had with my locomotives as well. If the settings are in there, they appear non-intuitive.
Ideally the brake squeal would be a function, but its not.
For computer control, you want braking and acceleration delays set to zero, so the computer can control the locomotive precisely - needed to get a locomotive to stop a fixed distance from a detection point, after the computer software has computed a speed profile for the locomotive.
I've yet to get a loco to squeal like the prototypes do when entering stations, which is for a good length of time from the slow speeds they have as they reach the platform to when they actually come to a stop.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline applor  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2018 01:37:54(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
This is an issue I've had with my locomotives as well. If the settings are in there, they appear non-intuitive.
Ideally the brake squeal would be a function, but its not.
For computer control, you want braking and acceleration delays set to zero, so the computer can control the locomotive precisely - needed to get a locomotive to stop a fixed distance from a detection point, after the computer software has computed a speed profile for the locomotive.
I've yet to get a loco to squeal like the prototypes do when entering stations, which is for a good length of time from the slow speeds they have as they reach the platform to when they actually come to a stop.

Well that is where you are going wrong. If you set acceleration and braking delay to 0, then the loco will start/stop immediately and you get no time for the squeeling brakes.

If you rely on computer control to accelerate or brake then you will get no squeeling brakes because the sounds is only played when throttle is set to 0.

What you need to do is set your locomotive acceleration and braking delay to a uniform standard across your locomotives so that you get accurate stopping distances and this in turn allows squeeling brakes because computer control will set throttle to 0 to stop the locomotive and you will hear the brakes squeel as it slowly brakes and not have the locomotive stop abruptly.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Tower  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2018 14:16:05(UTC)
Tower

Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello QQQ1970,

I have a Diesel Locomotive which squeals like crazy over a long stopping distance.

I shall let you know which parameters are set when I find my book with the instructions written down !
Something like setting a moderately fast speed, then turn the speed to zero, and set a high CV for the braking threshold.

RegardsBigGrin
John

Hi John, Slightly off topic, I collect Marklin F7's, I do not recognise your model in the video at all, did you customise the paint scheme or is it a model I do not know off?

Regards

Leon
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2018 20:01:11(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

Well that is where you are going wrong. If you set acceleration and braking delay to 0, then the loco will start/stop immediately and you get no time for the squeeling brakes.

Interesting; I'll try out the settings when my next locomotive arrives and I do my delivery functions check before storing it away.

I'm curious for those that use the likes of TrainContoller or WinDigipet to build profiles of the locomotives and then control them and have them stop in stations using S88 detection, how well does that work if you have decoder set ABV settings that have the decoder doing some of the speeding up and slowing down? And are you getting squealing brakes when the trains pulls into the station?

My gut instinct (which could well be wrong) would have me think the software will slow the train down and not set the speed to 0 until right at the point it wants the train to stop. Is there a way to tell the controllers you don't want that behavior but have it be aware of the ABV setting and have it set the speed to 0 at the time in needs to in order to have the loco self slow and squeal?
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline PMPeter  
#10 Posted : 30 March 2018 22:25:31(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   

I'm curious for those that use the likes of TrainContoller or WinDigipet to build profiles of the locomotives and then control them and have them stop in stations using S88 detection, how well does that work if you have decoder set ABV settings that have the decoder doing some of the speeding up and slowing down? And are you getting squealing brakes when the trains pulls into the station?

My gut instinct (which could well be wrong) would have me think the software will slow the train down and not set the speed to 0 until right at the point it wants the train to stop. Is there a way to tell the controllers you don't want that behavior but have it be aware of the ABV setting and have it set the speed to 0 at the time in needs to in order to have the loco self slow and squeal?

I use Rocrail and it has a function called BBT (Block Brake Timer) which is a self-adjusting timer, for each locomotive that has BBT selected, that sets the number of speed steps and length of each step to get the locomotive to stop when the IN sensor is triggered. It appears to override the ABV settings and the brake squeal only comes on in the last BBT step when the speed is set to 0. Obviously the longer the 0 speed step is activated the longer the squeal. However, since it is a self-adjusting timer the 0 speed step becomes shorter over time as Rocrail calculates the adjustments required to stop as close to the IN sensor consistently. Therefore, the brake squeal seems to become shorter and shorter.

Peter
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 30 March 2018 22:46:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thank you Peter. I suspect the same would be occurring with TrainController or WinDigipet, with respect to stopping when the IN sensor triggers to halt the train. This does seem to speak for wanting to have a way to activate the brake squeal via a function command regardless of speed (that way the software could activate the squeal from the instant that IN is triggered right up to the point the STOP section is triggered (if it exists) and/or the command speed 0 is selected. But we don't have that option, if the brake squeal is only generated while ABV is on and the speed selected is 0 while the locomotive is still in motion (on its ABV deceleration sequence execution). This seems counter to precise control of where the loco is placed by the software (where the software needs direct and exact control of the locomotive speed), compared to handing off the slow to stop sequence to the in-loco controller, which also generates the squeal. :(

I suppose one option is to get a digital recording of the squeal sound, load that on a digital effects player that is DCC addressable with a speaker, that gets mounted under the station(s), and that the controlling software then plays the sound from the separate device as part of the events that fire when any loco hits an IN section and is going to stop.

Does anyone else have a different way to solve this problem? I suppose one option is to upgrade the decoders to ones that allow different behavior (and maybe even wheel squeak in curves), but that is a very expensive proposition and a lot of work to then get the right sounds put in on the decoders and replace perfectly good decoders with new ones.

I just dug around in the forums of TrainController and WinDigipet, and found an old post on the WDP forum from 2015 where someone asked this very question related to Märklin mfx decoders and the apparent wisdom was (from https://www.windigipet.d.../index.php?topic=73037.0 ):

1) If the decoder was built by ESU (even a Märklin ESU built decoder) - then one can fire the squeal sound via a function assignment.

2) If the decoder is a Märklin made one (which I suspect all new locos have) - the your out of luck and the only option is to play back the brake squeal via an audio channel of the computer to a speaker under the station/on the layout. :(

This is all based on the starting requirement that the ABV values are zeroed so that the software is the direct controller of the locomotive speed to achieve precise stopping and speed profiles.

Dammit Märklin.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#12 Posted : 31 March 2018 01:03:17(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I'll do some experimenting with iTrain - perhaps there is an event that can be triggered just before a particular locomotive comes to a halt that will tell my CS3's speaker to make the brake noise. I haven't thought about playing through the CS3, but it seems like a good idea and I'll see if I can get it to work. I do like hearing it - others who see the layout do as well. But otherwise, I cannot figure out a way to make the locos produce this sound without having to compromise the block control that iTrain is trying to do. I've fiddled with it ad nauseam and have concluded that it's far safer to let iTrain control how fast a locomotive slows down, otherwise I have trains overrunning the blocks. I suspect this is true of Rocorail, etc.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline DaleSchultz  
#13 Posted : 31 March 2018 02:19:40(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   

Does anyone else have a different way to solve this problem?

I can play a .wav file of brake squeal from the computer speakers under the station.

I also made a file of flange squeal that pans from left to right and another from right to left, so I can play the appropriate one based on the direction of the train.

The human ear struggles to locate the source of the sound and the movement of the train easily tricks the mind into believing the sound is coming from the moving object.

Way cheaper than adding sounds to loco decoders, as one does not need sound decoders, and the sound file can be played for any train.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 31 March 2018 09:40:26(UTC)
Goofy

Is it possible to change brake threshold with the MS2 and mfx+?
Or does it works only by use DCC protocol?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 31 March 2018 20:05:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible to change brake threshold with the MS2 and mfx+?
Of course not. The MS2 does not support mfx+ and cannot make advanced changes using mfx.

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Or does it works only by use DCC protocol?
Yes, DCC can be used - provided the loco supports DCC and mfx was disabled in the MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#16 Posted : 01 April 2018 12:34:11(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I did some investigation with iTrain and it could work if they make some small changes in the next version. Right now they don’t include the option for playing a user-defined sound such as brake squeal. As Dale suggests, I think playing through a speaker such as on the CS3 would be safest as regards efficient block control and I think he’s right, one isn’t going to be able to tell that the sound is coming from the speaker and not the loco itself.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Johnvr  
#17 Posted : 01 April 2018 20:03:31(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Tower Go to Quoted Post
Hello QQQ1970,

RegardsBigGrin
John

Hi John, Slightly off topic, I collect Marklin F7's, I do not recognise your model in the video at all, did you customise the paint scheme or is it a model I do not know off?

Regards

Leon

Leon,

This was an old Marklin loco (I think New Hampshire version) which was in a bad paint condition, so that was my attempt to paint it myself.

Regards
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline QQQ1970  
#18 Posted : 14 April 2018 12:59:43(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Hello QQQ1970,

RegardsBigGrin
John

Lower CV64 value and the lok will start brake squeal later.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#19 Posted : 16 April 2018 17:18:54(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all -

Could anyone point me to a wav or mpg file of brake squeal noise that is more or less the same as what Marklin uses for steam locos? I know the sound varies a little from loco to loco. I have found a number of files of good brake noises, but there's always a lot of background noise and so I have been looking for something that is pure squeal - hopefully you know what I mean.

Thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Thewolf  
#20 Posted : 16 April 2018 23:00:05(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Hi all -

Could anyone point me to a wav or mpg file of brake squeal noise that is more or less the same as what Marklin uses for steam locos? I know the sound varies a little from loco to loco. I have found a number of files of good brake noises, but there's always a lot of background noise and so I have been looking for something that is pure squeal - hopefully you know what I mean.

Thank you, John

Hi John

I suppose that you think using this sound file with Itrain ?

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Danlake  
#21 Posted : 16 April 2018 23:11:03(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all -

Thank you, John

Not sure how legal it is, but if it’s only for private use I believe it’s ok. Else moderators can feel free to delete below how to do...

Here is what you can do to get high quality sound clips (not only brake squeal, but also horns and whistles, stations announcement, engine running etc:

1. Download Lokprogrammer software from Esu and install on PC
2. Download freeware sound editing program Audacity
3. Find an Esu sound project that contains brake squeal sounds
4. Open the special Esu format file with Lokprogrammer
5. You can now see each individual sound file and listen to them
6. Open Audacity and configure it to record sound from your computer
7. Play the Esu sound clip containing the brake squeal and at same time record it with Audacity
8. Convert the recorded sound clip to mono and adjust gain if needed
9. If needed you can also edit the sound clip (check turtorials on YouTube)
10. Export the file as WAV format

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#22 Posted : 16 April 2018 23:12:14(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi all -

Thank you, John

Hi John

Thewolf

Yes - you got it! If nothing turns up, I can record it myself, but a good wav file would be nicer. I'd also like to get sounds of wheels screeching around curves. I'm not sure yet how I'll use it or whether it will work as I want to. After a long time of preparation, I'm going to start on building my layout tonight and see how it goes.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 16 April 2018 23:15:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi all -

Thank you, John

Not sure how legal it is, but if it’s only for private use I believe it’s ok. Else moderators can feel free to delete below how to do...

Here is what you can do to get high quality sound clips (not only brake squeal, but also horns and whistles, stations announcement, engine running etc:

1. Download Lokprogrammer software from Esu and install on PC
2. Download freeware sound editing program Audacity
3. Find an Esu sound project that contains brake squeal sounds
4. Open the special Esu format file with Lokprogrammer
5. You can now see each individual sound file and listen to them
6. Open Audacity and configure it to record sound from your computer
7. Play the Esu sound clip containing the brake squeal and at same time record it with Audacity
8. Convert the recorded sound clip to mono and adjust gain if needed
9. If needed you can also edit the sound clip (check turtorials on YouTube)
10. Export the file as WAV format

Brgds Lasse

You will only be able to do any of htis with an old ESU file. Since Lokprogrammer software version 2.7.1 the decoder files are encrypted and you cannot get at the sound files.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Thewolf  
#24 Posted : 16 April 2018 23:16:59(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi all -

Thank you, John

Hi John

Thewolf

Yes - you got it! If nothing turns up, I can record it myself, but a good wav file would be nicer. I'd also like to get sounds of wheels screeching around curves. I'm not sure yet how I'll use it or whether it will work as I want to. After a long time of preparation, I'm going to start on building my layout tonight and see how it goes.

Cheers, John

I haven't downloaded version 4.1 yet but the "actions" function in the blocks, you should be able to do that. I don't know any more for the moment, my layout and Itrain will be the first dismantled and the second in stand by because of move

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Minok  
#25 Posted : 16 April 2018 23:21:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

You will only be able to do any of htis with an old ESU file. Since Lokprogrammer software version 2.7.1 the decoder files are encrypted and you cannot get at the sound files.

So in the software you cannot play back the sound files? All you need is to get the Lokprogrammer software to play them back from inside the software (as you have the separate program that is recording audio to capture it again).
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Danlake  
#26 Posted : 17 April 2018 03:40:46(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Esu Lokprogrammer is on version 4.7.0 from 13 March 2018, according to the website I can access.

I was able to do as explained a few weeks ago. And yes you just play the files and then record it with Audacity.

I would be surprised if Esu removes the functionality to listen to the individual sound files when you are doing your sound project in Lokprogrammer? But as Kiwialan said maybe it will be gone with next version...

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Danlake  
#27 Posted : 17 April 2018 05:51:42(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all -

Thank you, John

Hi John,

Enclosed brake sounds from BR-50. Took me about 30 minutes to edit those (not perfect, but I am still learning how to edit sound clips).

By changing the speed of the sound clip you can slow down the sound, so it sounds like it's driving slowly.

I also use stationary sounds with Traincontroller in connection with add on program +4D sound.

BR50 brake (fast).wav (218kb) downloaded 35 time(s). BR50 brake (slow).wav (286kb) downloaded 26 time(s). BR50 brake long (fast).wav (651kb) downloaded 19 time(s). BR50 brake long (slow).wav (813kb) downloaded 20 time(s). BR50 curve squal (fast).wav (1,154kb) downloaded 15 time(s). BR50 curve squal (slow).wav (1,358kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Best Regards
Lasse Pedersen
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#28 Posted : 17 April 2018 13:09:24(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Wow, what a nice and helpful thing to do - thank you so much! I downloaded them and this is exactly what I have been looking for!

Now that you showed me how to grab the Lokprogrammer sounds, I'll go ahead and try downloading a set of sounds for one of the electric loco (perhaps there won't be much difference).

With this new version of iTrain, it appears as if I can assign sounds to various blocks and/or for various conditions, and the sounds should play through the CS3 hopefully - Dale pointed out that it shouldn't make much if any difference whether it comes from the loco itself or the CS3, so I'll try this out and see how it works.

Again, Lasse, thank you so much for sending these files; this is a great help.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack