Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FV1974  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2018 22:21:18(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I have bought the 29474 kit which comes with the MS2. I have disconnected my transfo and delta box and connected the brown and red cable from my track to the MS2 box using plugs. However, the MS2 does not automatically recognise the train that is included in the box. Nor does it pick up my other trains. Even after manually entering them. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I am also wondering where to connect the yellow cables which power my points and switch boxes. There is no yellow connection on the MS2 box. Should I connect it to the brown one?

I read about MS2 not working with capacitators but to my knowledge I haven't got any. I am using my 25 year old M track for the first time and my old trains.

Any advice welcomed!

Regards

Frederic
Offline Jabez  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2018 22:40:03(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
You may well have a capacitor on the M connection track with the red and brown leads for connection to the old transformer. Some of them had radio frequency suppressors (capacitors). Have a look under the track and if there is a suppressor, use a plain M track section as the connection track and it will probably fix things.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline FV1974  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2018 23:30:40(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Thanks Jabez. Have changed my connection track and it is working now. At least I have found my new train on the MS2 and it is working.

Do you know more about how to add other trains? I have got a 3021 V200 from the 80's, a 3347, and a 3040.
They all used to work on my Delta system.

Also, how do I connect the yellow cable that goes to my points to the MS2?

Thanks
Frederic
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2018 01:14:15(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
If you still have your old blue transformer/controller just connect your yellow points/turnout cable to its yellow terminal, and the two blues, via a switch or button panel of course, to the brown. That way you can power your points/turnouts etc from the old analog transformer and only use the digital power from the MS2/trackbox for the track and locos.
I'm afraid I don't know anything about how you register Delta locos on the MS2 but I'm sure someone will come along who does.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2018 08:06:21(UTC)
Goofy

Never mixed power connection with the dc and ac!
If you have delta decoder you must manually locomotive by write theirs code number and accept it.
Just follow manual of the MS2.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2018 11:06:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Use your transformer for the old Delta set-up to power the accessories, as Jabez has suggested. I do this on my layout.

The red and brown from the MS2 box goes to the track connections for power to the trains but everything else, turnouts, signals and uncouplers are powered from the yellow and black of the transformer.

Make sure you don't use the power from the power supply that feed the MS2 for anything other than the MS2.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline FV1974  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2018 12:07:34(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
If you have delta decoder you must manually locomotive by write theirs code number and accept it.

Thanks. How do I found their codes?
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2018 12:15:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: FV1974 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. How do I found their codes?

If you have never changed the addresses for these delta locos you can just pick the catalogue number from the "add from database" option.

Goofy suggests adding them manually, which is OK too. By codes he means the digital addresses. If you were previously using these locos with the delta controller then the addresses corresponding to those four Delta positions are 24, 60, 72 and 78. The delta handheld controller additionally used address 80.
Ray
Offline FV1974  
#9 Posted : 15 April 2018 17:08:08(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   

I have managed to manually add my locos since I couldn't find them in the catalog.

The only remaining issue I have is that my points work but the lights in my points are not coming on. I have connected the yellows to the yellow port on my old controller (32 VA) and the cable from my switch/button panel to the black port ('L')
Any idea how I can get the lights to work?
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2018 19:11:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I have managed to manually add my locos since I couldn't find them in the catalog.

The only remaining issue I have is that my points work but the lights in my points are not coming on. I have connected the yellows to the yellow port on my old controller (32 VA) and the cable from my switch/button panel to the black port ('L')
Any idea how I can get the lights to work?

The lights need the return path to work. At the moment the "live" to the bulbs is from the yellow but the return is going through the metal track to the brown of the MS2. To have the lights working in this type of operation you need to have a common ground, so you need to connect the black port to the brown of the MS2.

This is how I have mine connected and it should not be a problem.

To recap:

MS2 connection box red connected to track centre contacts
MS2 connection box brown connected to track rails.

Old transformer yellow connected to turnouts yellow wire
Old transformer black connected to switch panel side connection

MS2 connection box brown also connected to old transformer black terminal.

Edited by user 16 April 2018 00:04:03(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Crazy Harry  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2018 21:21:25(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
To have the lights working in this type of operation you need to have a common ground, so you need to connect the black port to the brown of the MS2...

To recap:...

MS2 connection box red also connected to old transformer black terminal.

Caution, there is a slight error in the quoted text above, in the recap it should read: "The MS2 connection box BROWN (not red) also connected to old transformer black terminal." Ray had it right in the first paragraph and typed it wrong in the recap. Brown and black are the return wires that should be connected together to give a common ground.

The solenoids of the points are powered by the yellow wire and grounded through the switch panel. The lights in the points are powered by the yellow wire and grounded via the M track's roadbed.

Harold.

Please note that Ray's original post is now corrected, see highlighted text in post #10.

Edited by user 16 April 2018 05:31:28(UTC)  | Reason: added clarification and noted correction

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 16 April 2018 00:05:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
To have the lights working in this type of operation you need to have a common ground, so you need to connect the black port to the brown of the MS2...

To recap:...

MS2 connection box red also connected to old transformer black terminal.

Caution, there is a slight error in the quoted text above, in the recap it should read: "The MS2 connection box BROWN (not red) also connected to old transformer black terminal." Ray had it right in the first paragraph and typed it wrong in the recap. Brown and black are the return wires that should be connected together to give a common ground.

The solenoids of the points are powered by the yellow wire and grounded through the switch panel. The lights in the points are powered by the yellow wire and grounded via the M track's roadbed.

Harold.

Thanks Harold. What a blunder on my part! I've corrected it now and highlighted the corrected word.

Sorry if I've caused any confusion.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline FV1974  
#13 Posted : 17 April 2018 08:41:24(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Thank you so much for your help!
All working now!
I am planning to add some house and street lights at some point. Would I again connect these to the yellow on my transformer or would you advice creating a new circuit for those?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by FV1974
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 17 April 2018 10:17:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thank you so much for your help!
All working now!
I am planning to add some house and street lights at some point. Would I again connect these to the yellow on my transformer or would you advice creating a new circuit for those?

I have my house and street lights on a separate circuit from a different transformer. It's not necessary but keeps the wiring simpler.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF