Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ARock16  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2018 22:45:03(UTC)
ARock16

United States   
I am new to the Forum (1st post) and have too many basic questions to know where to begin. Confused Hard to find answers to most of my simple questions. I am in Miami, FL English-only. I am amazed how helpful you are to each other, and all around the world. Truly exceptional.

So, here goes: I have Marklin HO C track with 10 turnouts (xx611/612), in a 1.2 x2.4 meter layout. When I assembled some track with 4 turnouts (, the MS2 recognized the address per dip switch settings for 2 of the 4. Then, after powering off, checking the other two to be sure the addresses were correct, power up and not even 1 of the 4 is recognized.

I know the following: 1) dip switches are what I think they are (#1 thru #4 for Keyboard 1); (2) brown wire =O, Red wire=B on all turnout decoders (74461); with yellow wire=B on opposite side of brown and red (3) Dip switch #10 is ON; (4) The “Accessory Protocol = DCC ; (5) Even if I turn dip switch #10 off, and change Acc. Protocol to MM from DCC, it still does not recognize the turnouts.

I am lost and WAY over my head. Blushing I was too timid to post initially, and I emailed Wolfgang in response to a post he had with a link to a German to English on-line translator that was truly fantastic. He gave me the courage to post here. So, here I am! Thanks for the consideration.

Alan

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2018 15:07:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum. If you are sure about the dip switch setting, make sure the polarity is correct (i.e.: not mixing the 0 and B cables.
Say hello to Miami, I am in Clearwater Fla vacationing
Cheers

Jean
Offline ARock16  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2018 16:06:29(UTC)
ARock16

United States   
Thank you for your time while on vacation. Enjoy the weather! Polarity is OK. Can't figure out how it recognized them at one time and not now, even moving several to a test track, which is working as it allows my loco to run, on luck with the turnoutsCursing .

Again, greatly appreciate your response. Enjoy Florida!

Alan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2018 19:16:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ARock16 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your time while on vacation. Enjoy the weather! Polarity is OK. Can't figure out how it recognized them at one time and not now, even moving several to a test track, which is working as it allows my loco to run, on luck with the turnoutsCursing .

Again, greatly appreciate your response. Enjoy Florida!

Alan

What do you mean by the ms2 recognising the 74461 decoders? Are they mfx? Confused I didn't think they are, and if they are not they will not be automatically seen by the ms2.

Offline ARock16  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2018 20:33:57(UTC)
ARock16

United States   
The decoder manual says they are capable of both fx(MM), only difference being dip switch 10 is On for DCC/Off for fx(MM). At first, they were set to DCC and the MS 2 saw some of them. I have tried both ways, switch 10 off and on, changing the Accessary Protocol between DCC and MM. Still, no luck.

Thanks for offering assistance.
Offline Danlake  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2018 21:17:34(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Alan,

Can you confirm you are using DCC protocol with your MS2?

My initially though would be first to use only MM protocol, program the 4 turnouts using the dip switches only. If that works you know your wiring is correct.

In DCC mode I believe you can program the turnout decoder using a programming track, all though only possible with a central station. A factory reset of the turnout decoder could maybe resolve the issue if not working in DCC mode, but I let other more experienced MS2 users comment.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline ARock16  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2018 22:27:50(UTC)
ARock16

United States   
THANK YOU!! "Factory Reset" was the ticket. All the way from New ZealandBigGrin You folks are fantastic! AT least now I can get my track setup, and await my next challenge. Hope I live long enough to be able to answer a question some day Laugh
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ARock16
Offline Richard Joint  
#8 Posted : 30 June 2020 04:17:56(UTC)
Richard Joint

Honduras   

I have had difficulties from the start with the decoder. Eventually I had my first four decoders working fine. Now I have 20 turnouts and decoders (they are not cheap) and while the light comes on on the turn out the attemp to change via remote station 2 is not successful. In fact my yard is now running with the two button system as proving much simpler and reliable. I have not thrown in the towl yet but was wondering if anybody had some sort of check list to try and identify a problem. Could there be external factors that might affect the system like dirt, voltage, number of trains etc. ?

I live in Honduras and am one of about three with railway spirit but the only one with Marklin. Appreciate your help.

Richard