Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bobstens  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2018 21:32:01(UTC)
Bobstens

Australia   
As a newbie I am trying to put together a z scale layout. Track etc is expensive. Where can I get good second hand track and train sets?

eBay is obvious choice. I have also discovered Catawiki although some buildings I bought appear to be HO rather than Z.

Any suggestions? Especially if in Australia or NZ to save postage

Thanks

Bob
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2018 22:56:32(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Try model railway exhibitions - I have bought a lot of stuff this way with modellers selling off old collections or thinning out existing ones.

Carim
Offline lewistrain  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2018 10:41:52(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Hey Bob, I bought a stack of z scale stuff the other day. I had to take it all, one of those deals. Im only after enoigh track for a coffee table layout so I anterested in getting rid of the rest of it. I habe bridges, buffer stops, x crossings, curved and straight points, uncoupler tracks etc, all manner of stuff. Let me know if you are I terested. Also have a mikado with 2 box cars, gondola and caboose which I will likely sell as well.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline Bobstens  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2018 08:22:22(UTC)
Bobstens

Australia   
Originally Posted by: lewistrain Go to Quoted Post
Hey Bob, I bought a stack of z scale stuff the other day. I had to take it all, one of those deals. Im only after enoigh track for a coffee table layout so I anterested in getting rid of the rest of it. I habe bridges, buffer stops, x crossings, curved and straight points, uncoupler tracks etc, all manner of stuff. Let me know if you are I terested. Also have a mikado with 2 box cars, gondola and caboose which I will likely sell as well.

Thanks Just a day or two late as I bought the track I need for preferred layout just after Easter. The Mikado may be of interest as my curves will be mainly 220s. Let me know.
Bob
Offline Renee  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2018 23:46:38(UTC)
Renee

Australia   
hello i am new to this thing and was looking for second hand track,as i am in perth there is not of of z gauge arround, so am looking online ,any recomendations would help
Offline Bobstens  
#6 Posted : 08 May 2018 00:39:31(UTC)
Bobstens

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Renee Go to Quoted Post
hello i am new to this thing and was looking for second hand track,as i am in perth there is not of of z gauge arround, so am looking online ,any recomendations would help

Renee
I was in the same situation a couple on months ago (see above)
I sourced some stuff online via eBay and some via European auction site Catawiki. You can check their website for model trains auctions to get an idea of what is available. Prices are in US $ plus postage and it is based in Holland. Unfortunately they stopped Australians from bidding as from 1 May. However, you might try getting a friiend overseas to bid for you and send stuff on. For example they have a Z scale auction on now (closes in 5 days)

If so then Depending how much track, points, accessories etc that you want Irecommend you get your overseas contact to bid for item 14 (see below). You will probably need to bid around $200 US to win it though plus your double postage. Much cheaper than new still.

I am putting my layout together and will have a small amount of track left over if that might be of interest.

Cheers

Bob

Type: Tracks
Brand: Märklin
Scale: Z
Power supply: DC - Direct current
Control: Analogue
Catalogus Nummer: Konvolut Sammlung
Condition: Good condition
Packaging: In original box
Railroad company: DB
Additional information: 315 Teile 12 Weichen und viel Zubehör
Nr. of Items: 330

Märklin Z - collection track material, switches, points and pillars

Interesting collection of Märklin gauge Z 1:220 rails and accessories, total 315 various rails, 12 points, a template 0208 various, switches/relays and pillars

Some in new condition, generally good to very good condition with slight wear. In general very nice and good, original quality including some original packaging and certain items loose without original boxes.

Your assessment of the condition of the used items: Please have a look at the photos for an impression of the condition of the lot. The detailed pictures are part of the lot and show the exact contents and the condition of this lot. In case you have any questions about the item, please ask them before placing a bid.
Offline Bobstens  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2018 00:41:34(UTC)
Bobstens

Australia   
And to add best thing I bought was a second hand track cleaner - did marvels with the second hand track especially if there are tunnels etc. beats using a rubber.
Offline stevedenver  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2018 19:55:13(UTC)
stevedenver

United States   
well i HAD been doing the same, buying lots, and like new items from ebay.

i have a goodly hoard now.

Heres a thought. its about price comparisons and trying to save without having poor performance.

i find i love Peco z flex track for a great deal of my applications, short of stations and yards, where i tend to use the marklin geometry. flex track can save a lot of money. its a bit more work, and, you MUST get some good Xuron rail cutters.

i find track work is critical, especially in z, and i dont want bends, kinks, funny ties, solder residue or other issues. While i have painstakingly re-worked some items, and removed or filed away solder traces, its just not worth it to me.

while i have gotten some great deals on 5 pole mini club locos, and even have a few 3 pole versions that run beautifully, and slowly, i am of the opinion that the newest re engineered versions are vastly better. super vale gear detail, eccentrics, blackened parts, on steam locos, led lighting, better motors in some cases.

i find that very generally, many used locos , on ebay, sell for prices close or higher than what new ones do.

i am no longer buying used items, fo rthe most part. marklins newest offerings are great, and, imho, are worth paying a bit more for over used. unless of course, you find a steal.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stevedenver
Offline ztrack  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2018 03:24:39(UTC)
ztrack

Check out Ztrack Resale for new and used equipment. We currently have 849 Marklin Z scale items in stock. While the majority of these are used, we do offer a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with our purchase. I think you will find we have great pricing and some amazing deals on the site. The link is:

www.ztrackresale.com

Rob Kluz
Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
The Magazine For Z Scale Model Railroading.
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2018 11:38:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'll let your posts stay Rob, but I will remind you that dealer advertising is not permitted on the forum
Offline parakiet  
#11 Posted : 18 April 2019 22:15:05(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: stevedenver Go to Quoted Post
well i HAD been doing the same, buying lots, and like new items from ebay.

i find that very generally, many used locos , on ebay, sell for prices close or higher than

i am no longer buying used items, fo rthe most part. marklins newest offerings are great, and, imho, are worth paying a bit more for over used. unless of course, you find a steal.

If you seek a certain loc, you only can go second hand.
There are high and low priced locs. High price doesn't mean high quality

Check import taxes and go international.

And sometimes hoarding on expos and ebay is just fun-fun-fun. Go for the steals. Contact sellers. I ve bought old but renewed locs who are my best runners...because they were on active duty and no "as new" shelf sleepers :)