Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trainiac  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2018 08:53:16(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
I bought a pre-owned train set that I suspect hadn't been used for a while. I came to this conclusion because the wheels on the car bogies didn't roll at all. So I tried to loosen them up by hand, but the train was still too heavy. Then I decided to lubricate the axles and now the locomotive can pull the whole train, but only on straight, level track (the wheels on the locomotive start slipping in curves). I think this traction issue can be resolved by reducing friction between the wheel axles and the bogies. I noticed that some of the cars rolled worse than the rest, so to determine exactly how good they were rolling I conducted a test: I built a test ramp by placing a 660 mm flexible track on top of a 1,5 cm box, then I placed each car on the elevated end and let it roll until it stopped. All but one rolled at least 500 mm (20 inches). And the one that didn't roll that far was the tender, it only moved a few centimeters (or about an inch).

So here is my question: should I just lubricate the axles with Labelle 108 and hope for the best or is there another way to make the axles roll better?

(Also, I've seen videos of that locomotive pulling an entire train (with 4 extra cars) up helixes, so I should be able to fix this somehow)

Edited by user 30 March 2018 11:34:14(UTC)  | Reason: I changed the status from “issue” to “solved”

Regards
Erik
———
Mainly German trains era II-III
Collection consists of Z scale, digital H0 scale, G scale and T Gauge trains (they are sorted by collection size so my main focus is on Z scale)
Take a look at my Instagram:maerklin_z
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2018 22:25:35(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Metal wheels or plastic wheels on the rolling stock?

Which locomotive? Part number? Number of wheelsets?
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Trainiac  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2018 18:19:53(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Metal wheels or plastic wheels on the rolling stock?

Which locomotive? Part number? Number of wheelsets?

The train set is the Nostalgie Istanbul Orient Express (article number 8108). The rolling stock has metal wheels and there are 20 wheel sets (locomotive wheels excluded).
I cleaned and lubricated the locomotive last week and I haven’t experienced any issues with it after that
Regards
Erik
———
Collection consists of Z scale, digital H0 scale, G scale and T Gauge trains (they are sorted by collection size so my main focus is on Z scale)
Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2018 19:56:01(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
The wheels on the coaches ... just clean them out and make sure the plastic housing on the trucks are clear of debris or burrs in the plastic. I really don't lubricate the trucks on rolling stock, but I think I have heard others using powdery type of lubes in this situation.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline Trainiac  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2018 20:27:54(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
Okay thank you very much, I will do that and hopefully everything will work when the wheels are clean
would isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) be a good cleaning solution?
Regards
Erik
———
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2018 23:26:23(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Trainiac Go to Quoted Post
...hopefully everything will work when the wheels are clean
would isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) be a good cleaning solution?

I tend to remove the wheels and soak them in IPA for a while and that does loosen the accumulated muck, though they still need a good scrub and scrape to get them really clean.

I also lubricate the axle-boxes of rolling stock - I drop a bit of Labelle onto some foil, dip a cocktail stick into it and then poke that into the axle-box - it deposits the tiniest amount, but I do find it makes an enormous difference to the free running of the wheels.

(I invested in a magnifying headset, and it's great for seeing what you're doing in these circumstances.)

Cheers

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Trainiac  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2018 11:29:52(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
Okay, I’ll soak the wheels in IPA, give them a good scrub and lubricate the axle-boxes, thanks for the help
Regards
Erik
———