Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2018 02:16:43(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I recently bought a primex 2702 20th anniversary set and even though it had been open it shows no sign of use. The gears on the E44 were rather stiff which is normal and after some cleaning and re-oiling I had it running fine. I notice that the reverse unit coil kept engaging the reverse switch as I advanced the throttle. This is a typical sign that the spring is too weak. That is when I noticed that the spring is made from what looks like copper. OhMyGod This is the first time I have ever seen a copper reverse unit spring. I know that the Primex line in some respects was a less expensive Marklin product but I would think that a copper spring would be more expensive than a normal steel spring.

Is this common?

Has anyone here ever seen a copper reverse spring?

Chuck
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2018 12:16:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I recently bought a primex 2702 20th anniversary set and even though it had been open it shows no sign of use. The gears on the E44 were rather stiff which is normal and after some cleaning and re-oiling I had it running fine. I notice that the reverse unit coil kept engaging the reverse switch as I advanced the throttle. This is a typical sign that the spring is too weak. That is when I noticed that the spring is made from what looks like copper. OhMyGod This is the first time I have ever seen a copper reverse unit spring. I know that the Primex line in some respects was a less expensive Marklin product but I would think that a copper spring would be more expensive than a normal steel spring.

Is this common?

Chuck

It won't be copper, I think you will find it is phosphor bronze which has spring properties that copper doesn't. Copper is too soft to be a spring.

Phosphor bronze is sometimes used for the wires on the brush plate to provide the springiness to push the brushes.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2018 12:42:58(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Is this common?

Chuck

It won't be copper, I think you will find it is phosphor bronze which has spring properties that copper doesn't. Copper is too soft to be a spring.

Phosphor bronze is sometimes used for the wires on the brush plate to provide the springiness to push the brushes.

Alan, I agree that sounds more plausible. I think it would have been more accurate for me to say a copper colored spring.

What I don't get is why use it in the first place instead of the steel spring? Confused

Chuck
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2018 13:27:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

I suppose Märklin spent quite a lot of energy to manufacture a proper reverse unit working all the time and minimizing the jump during direction change impulse hence the special springs.
Later, around 1980 Märklin introduced electronic inverters to avoid the jump and to provide constant lighting (no more flashing bulbs).
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2018 14:57:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

What I don't get is why use it in the first place instead of the steel spring? Confused

Chuck

Probably cheaper at the time.

Offline skeeterbuck  
#6 Posted : 23 March 2018 20:02:37(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Chuck

Probably cheaper at the time.

I find that hard to believe plus the fact that now you have another part number. That doesn't go to my way of German frugality. On the other hand I can't think of what else it could be but the bottom line. ThumbDown
Offline skeeterbuck  
#7 Posted : 24 March 2018 15:21:30(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Just for the record here's two pics of the spring. You can see how much I needed to shorten it to get the reverse unit to sequence properly. I could have replaced it with a new spring but I guess I'm also too frugal. Laugh The third pic is the engine freshly oiled, back together and running fine.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img]
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 24 March 2018 16:20:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Chuck,

I just opened up my Primex 2702 loco and I've found it has the same type of "copper" coloured spring.

Mine has no problems reversing though. It behaves perfectly under power and the reverser only activates when I give it the pulse.

Looking at both it seems to me that your spring is fairly slack compared to mine, so maybe you just have a bad spring.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 24 March 2018 16:37:08(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Just for the record here's two pics of the spring. You can see how much I needed to shorten it to get the reverse unit to sequence properly. I could have replaced it with a new spring but I guess I'm also too frugal. Laugh The third pic is the engine freshly oiled, back together and running fine.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Hi!
In fact you don't normally have to shorthen (or lengthen...) that little spring!
Using a screw driver, just bend the little finger back or forth to adjust the tension.
Everything's done in a matter of seconds, no fiddling necessary.

Hope this helps

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline rrf  
#10 Posted : 24 March 2018 17:08:51(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

Your picture looks very similar to something I did as a teenager. Lacking the proper reverse unit spring for one of my locomotives, I used a portion of an M-Track switch's solenoid spring. This was not a very good solution. Once you had the correct tension on the spring, it would only be a few weeks before the spring was too loose and needed further adjustment. It took another 10 or so years before I found a US source for spare parts.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline skeeterbuck  
#11 Posted : 24 March 2018 21:00:00(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Your picture looks very similar to something I did as a teenager. Lacking the proper reverse unit spring for one of my locomotives, I used a portion of an M-Track switch's solenoid spring. This was not a very good solution. Once you had the correct tension on the spring, it would only be a few weeks before the spring was too loose and needed further adjustment. It took another 10 or so years before I found a US source for spare parts.

Regards,

This is the factory spring that came with the loco. I shortened it because it was too weak to work properly and you could not bend the reverse unit hook enough to get it corrected.

Chuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#12 Posted : 24 March 2018 21:04:09(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chuck,

I just opened up my Primex 2702 loco and I've found it has the same type of "copper" coloured spring.

Mine has no problems reversing though. It behaves perfectly under power and the reverser only activates when I give it the pulse.

Looking at both it seems to me that your spring is fairly slack compared to mine, so maybe you just have a bad spring.

Yes Ray, I would agree.

Chuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#13 Posted : 24 March 2018 21:15:19(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Hi!
In fact you don't normally have to shorthen (or lengthen...) that little spring!
Using a screw driver, just bend the little finger back or forth to adjust the tension.
Everything's done in a matter of seconds, no fiddling necessary.

Hope this helps

Jacques

Jacques, when I first tried the loco it would only run a short distance before stopping because the reverse unit was engaging. This is a classic sign that there is not enough tension on the reverse unit spring. I tried bending the hook and increasing the tension, but the spring was so weak that it still was not enough. Only by shortening the spring to increase the tension was I able to get the reverse unit to sequence properly.

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck