Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2018 19:52:21(UTC)
mb300e4m

Has anyone tried converting Marklin three rail wheel sets to two rail? This would involve drilling one wheel per axle then inserting a plastic bushing and pressing the wheel back onto its axle. I am referring to wheel sets like 441-70007 and similar. Confused

I know I can buy two rail wheelsets ready to go, but I have dozens of pieces of rolling stock that I want to convert so that would e a very expensive proposition. ThumbDown
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2018 22:04:30(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Peter, i think that having the proper tools ( a good Lathe basically ) and materials, it should not be very difficult, but with a considerable amount of work involved.
I never have checked very deeply my wagons wheelsets and i am not at home to check but IIRC the axles go completely trough the wheels, being a little pin in it wich secureto the holders in the wagons, that would make the conversion a little harder because you would have to drill completelt across the wheel and fit a bushing very firmly, wich can also be visible.
Regards
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2018 23:13:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Because of the fact that AC wheelsets have different profiles and wheel spacing and the fact that some DC equipment requires wheelsets where either one or both wheels are isolated, my recommendation would be to try to find somebody who wants to swap their DC wheelsets for your AC ones. There are a lot of Maerklin modellers who have rolling stock from other companies and might jump at the chance to finally equip their stuff with AC wheelsets.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2018 00:45:52(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I"m not sure what your end goal for the project is, but remember the NEM standards for DC are different and milling down AC wheels to those for DC track would be a serious job, if even possible?
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2018 08:41:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Because of the fact that AC wheelsets have different profiles and wheel spacing [...]
I guess he knows he has to remove one wheel to add insulation, so it is simple to adjust the wheel spacing while at it.

Depending on the tracks in use and the age of the wheelsets the profile could be no problem.

Some DC perfectionists often mill down wheels (for RP25 or H0pur or whatever), so that is something that was done many times before.

I only have have experience for the other way: adjusting the spacing of two-rail wheelsets for use on Märklin C track.
With a minimal adjustment you can achieve wheelsets that work fine on three-rail and two-rail tracks in my experience.
I don't use contact tracks (yet) and insulation is no problem for me (yet).
Wheel profiles of modern wheels look very similar to my eyes.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2018 13:01:59(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Peter,

I would think about "after-market" - wheelsets. These are much cheaper than the parts delivered by Märklin. Some people also say that the quality is even better:

http://www.das-service.d...strom/maerklin/index.php

Regards

Markus
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2018 20:59:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone tried converting Marklin three rail wheel sets to two rail? This would involve drilling one wheel per axle then inserting a plastic bushing and pressing the wheel back onto its axle. I am referring to wheel sets like 441-70007 and similar. Confused

I know I can buy two rail wheelsets ready to go, but I have dozens of pieces of rolling stock that I want to convert so that would e a very expensive proposition. ThumbDown

....aaaaaaaaagh!
The silent scream............. don't even bother to try.
Attempting to re-bush a wheel, you will end up with all sorts of eccentricities.
Follow Markus advice ..... brilliant.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline ktsolias  
#8 Posted : 20 March 2018 21:49:03(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
To do this correctly you need a lathe and special holders special drills ... and experience to use all these...

The best advise is to follow Marcus advice

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias