Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2018 17:07:58(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I pickup up the new Roco 2018 items from my dealer. I'm not very familiar with items from other manufacturers as I mainly keep with Märklin products. While checking the digital locos, I noticed that it indicates that the decoders in the AC units says that they are MFX. Does this mean the the MS2 or CS2 will automatically read them the same as the Marklin locos?
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2018 17:30:20(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I pickup up the new Roco 2018 items from my dealer. I'm not very familiar with items from other manufacturers as I mainly keep with Märklin products. While checking the digital locos, I noticed that it indicates that the decoders in the AC units says that they are MFX. Does this mean the the MS2 or CS2 will automatically read them the same as the Marklin locos?

I read in the "Stummi" and "Drehscheibe online" communities threads from 2012, where it is described that Roco uses for their AC locos decoders from ESU. These decoders shall have the mfx registration function inside. What you are describing is possible. And yes, in these communities it is reported that the Roco locos register automatically at a MS 2 or CS 2.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2018 19:22:10(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Yes, if stated by Roco that they are Mfx compatibles means they have an Esu lokpilot M4 decoder or loksound (Esu uses the phrase M4 instead of Mfx).

Else I believe Roco has started using Zimo decoders for their new locomotives which is only MM and DCC protocol.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2018 19:42:59(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Uhlenbrock has also launched mfx cpable decoders.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2018 23:51:36(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I do have an older Marklin E10 that got a digital conversion, using an Esu lokpilot M4 decoder, thus it has MFX. Apparently, the order of protocols is fixed in that, using the CS3, I can't talk to it using DC, even on the programming track. The capabilities of the decoder seem to be a good deal more limited when using MFX; the documentation lists a number of functions that are configurable using DC, but I'm only getting about 12 using MFX. I kinda wish I'd never gotten the MFX version of the decoder.

On the other hand, 12 functions is probably more than enough :-). The issue could also be needing MFX+.

Apologies if I've sidetracked the conversation, but I am fairly happy with a new Roco locomotive that does not have MFX. I guess it all depends on your own use case.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Danlake  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2018 05:34:20(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi John,

You don’t have to use the M4 protocol but can switch it off and then register it as a DCC loco.

You have to make sure your CS is setup for multi protocol and then seek guidance in latest Esu decoder manual ch. 9.5 describing how to switch off protocols not needed.

As I recall the default priority for Esu lokpilot M4 decoder is: DCC with railcom, then M4, then standard DCC and Motorola followed by lowest priority Selectrix.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Online H0  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2018 08:10:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
I do have an older Marklin E10 that got a digital conversion, using an Esu lokpilot M4 decoder, thus it has MFX. [...] The capabilities of the decoder seem to be a good deal more limited when using MFX; the documentation lists a number of functions that are configurable using DC, but I'm only getting about 12 using MFX.
So the person who made the conversion did a bad job and did not configure the decoder properly for use with mfx.

Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
I kinda wish I'd never gotten the MFX version of the decoder.
It's mostly a matter of experience.
You can temporarily disable mfx in your controller. Then you can use DCC to configure the decoder - and you can even disable mfx in the decoder so you can still use DCC for this decoder (driving and programming) when mfx is re-enabled on the controller.

And yes: your post was somewhat off topic.
Locos that have mfx ex works do not always have a perfect configuration, but you should be able to use more than 12 functions.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 19 March 2018 18:34:11(UTC)
Minok

United States   
What functions do you get in DCC that you don't get in MFX exactly with the "Esu lokpilot M4 decoder"?
I'm curious what capabilities are missing when its running in MFX mode .
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 19 March 2018 19:12:13(UTC)
Goofy

There is no information about mfx protocol in the news 2018 items.
Roco use Zimo decoder and they use only DCC and MM.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline skeeterbuck  
#10 Posted : 20 March 2018 03:07:19(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

There is no information about mfx protocol in the news 2018 items.
Roco use Zimo decoder and they use only DCC and MM.

Your correct, I didn't see it in their catalog. I saw it in the listing of the loco on Reynaulds website. Sorry for any confusion. Blushing Chuck

Steam locomotive 85 008 of the German State Railroad Company. Epoch II. Rich detailing on the model with many separately applied plug-in parts. Motor with flywheel, LED lighting and intricately elaborate wheel sets. Headlights that change over with the direction of travel, one red tail light. Coupler pocket according to NEM 362 standards and close coupling mechanism on both sides of the locomotive. The AC model is equipped with a mfx®-digital-decoder and many digitally switchable sound functions and dynamic steam from the chimney. The dynamic steam from Roco provides a driving and noise synchronous smoke emission of the locomotive. * Version without smoke deflectors * Model with double headlights * Rich detailing with many separately attached plug-in parts * With dynamic steam from the chimney mfx is a registered trademark of the Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH, Göppingen, Germany
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 20 March 2018 04:49:49(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
oh, but it is listed as mfx capable at roco site

http://www.roco.cc/es/pr...0-0-002001/products.html
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 20 March 2018 04:55:25(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
and that info at zimo site

http://www.zimo.at/web20...sletters/rocobr85reg.htm

Expired license or M release it, uhlenbrock also have released an mfx capable deco...

Perhaps i will get a free mfx deco for my 78271BigGrin
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 20 March 2018 06:21:00(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Indeed the Roco page indicates it has an mfx Decoder.

http://www.roco.cc/en/pr...0-0-002001/products.html

Well if it's a good trend then I'm for it.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline skeeterbuck  
#14 Posted : 20 March 2018 12:34:25(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post

Expired license or M release it, uhlenbrock also have released an mfx capable deco...

I don't see why not. Zimo says it's free and that you don't need to send the other back. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. ThumpUp

Chuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#15 Posted : 20 March 2018 12:37:41(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Indeed the Roco page indicates it has an mfx Decoder.

http://www.roco.cc/en/pr...0-0-002001/products.html

Well if it's a good trend then I'm for it.

I agree! The info I posted earlier from Reynaulds' site appears to have been taken directly from the Roco site.
Offline franciscohg  
#16 Posted : 20 March 2018 12:56:58(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post

I don't see why not. Zimo says it's free and that you don't need to send the other back. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. ThumpUp

Chuck

Yes, just too good to be true. More when this model was no advertised as mfx capable.BigGrin
Offline skeeterbuck  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:29:10(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Well... I "bit the bullet" and placed an order for this loco. I'm using part of my yearly bonus to cover the costs. It is 3 rail AC and will run on C track and be controlled by a MS2 so I hope it's OK with the "Märklin Forum Polizei" here. Scared RollEyes Laugh

Chuck

http://www.roco.cc/en/pr...-0-0-0-002/products.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck