Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kaybee6  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2018 23:48:33(UTC)
kaybee6

United States   
I have the standard MAXI speed controller and factory default module in the Loco, which I think is Delta. What is still produced that I can get to upgrade to digital and control my switches and accessories as well?
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2018 03:29:26(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
We use an old 6021 for our unmodified Maxis.. I know that a MS1 (early release 1.2A) was not powerful enough for a maxi. I am not sure that an MS2 will work either - I guess it depends on the current draw from the loco you are using.. You really need to look at an ESU eCos or CS2/3.. This will be especially true if you buy a second Maxi..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline kaybee6  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2018 04:52:36(UTC)
kaybee6

United States   
Wow, that is really expensive. I have two locos right now, the one from the starter set and Rossle.
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2018 08:52:06(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Fortunately the power-consumption of the MAXI - locos is very low for their size. Some people even install decoders which are intended for H0-scale. So a MS2 can run up to three locos at once. The MS2 can also control switches.

Regards

Markus
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2018 10:10:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I know that a MS1 (early release 1.2A) was not powerful enough for a maxi.
Right from the start the MS1 came in two versions: 1.9 A sold separately and in I gauge starter sets, 1.2 A in H0 gauge starter sets.
Later they used 1.9 A also for H0 gauge starter sets because the overhead of two different versions ate the small difference in production costs.

The MS1 is limited compared to the MS2, but MS1s with 1.9 A should have enough power for Maxi trains.
So when buying a second hand MS1, make sure it has 1.9 A.
The MS2 always has 1.9 A and according to Märklin USA there is no technical difference between the 60112 and the 60113 track box (only the former has suitable connectors for I gauge, but if you can connect two cables the 60113 can also be used).

Both MS1 and MS2 can be used with transformers (16 V AC, e.g. 52 or 60 VA). For I gauge this could be a better choice than 18 V DC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2018 10:21:09(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Please note that the MS1 cannot control switches.
The 36VA- plug - power - supply which is offered by Märklin for the MS2 is fully sufficient for the MS2 and the cheapest (or at least simplest) option if you don't have already a larger transformer. Also with a larger transformer the MS2 won't deliver more than 1.9 A to the rails.

Regards

Markus
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2018 12:11:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Also with a larger transformer the MS2 won't deliver more than 1.9 A to the rails.
With 16 V AC the track voltage will be higher than with 18 V DC. While the current will still be limited to 1.9 A, higher voltage gives a higher wattage.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2018 12:33:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have tried to run two Maxis with the 6021 and the supplied 36VA white transformer. The result was jerky operation at best. When I used the 52Va (6002) transformer the running was smooth from both locos.. I have never measured the current draw from the two Maxis, and I won't get the chance again until Christmas. but I would be extremely surprised if a MS2 can run two Maxis and switch turnouts... Remember that Maxis have huge motors about three times the size of a can motor (they literally hum when they start) in a H0 model and no LEDs - they use big conventional bulbs..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 06 March 2018 16:55:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kaybee6 Go to Quoted Post
I have the standard MAXI speed controller and factory default module in the Loco, which I think is Delta. What is still produced that I can get to upgrade to digital and control my switches and accessories as well?

You could use an MS2 or a CS2 or CS3. Any of those will allow you to control the loco and digital switches.

Offline gcanton  
#10 Posted : 06 March 2018 17:52:34(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Just a quick thought but check the running of your locos on analogue, I ran my garden railway on a 6021, 2 control 80f's and the standard 6002 or 6003 transformer with no current limiting problems and now using an ECos and have only taken the full 4 amps with 3 trains running and 3-4 others with sound running in sidings at an exhibition. Maxi are not new and the grease/oils can dry out to become glue. Also the current collection wipers can be distorted when the bases are removed to set the address so the do not wipe on the solid part of the wheel but stick in between the spokes. I would say the HO decoder advice is true if you read the small print and get a 1-1.5 amp decoder. Some of the very budget offerings are not so clever from experience. If you have the DC boards for the Maxi locos and a test meter check how they run and the current consumption, 500ma for a small loco and a short train on the straight and level, even the smoke units do not take very much extra . A twin motor F7 and 20 items of stock will be different but a pair of 4 or 6 wheeled steamers and 3 wagons each should not struggle on 30VA unless you have very steep gradients and tight curves. A mobile station can have a slave and drive accessories, they get split from sets and can be cheap. However the 1.9 amps might struggle with accessories as well, I do not know how much current they take.

Graham
Offline 9azizz  
#11 Posted : 20 December 2018 16:53:20(UTC)
9azizz

Hi,

With the old Delta no longer compatible with current generation command stations I fitted ESU decoders in all 4 of my old Maxi locos and have tested them with the following stations : Roco Z21, Lenz LZV 100 , Uhlenbrock Intellibox 2 , Piko smart control , Old Roco 10764 with Multimaus and last but not least the Marklin CS 3 and they run perfect .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 9azizz
Offline kaybee6  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2019 22:39:24(UTC)
kaybee6

United States   
Since it seems you have tried several systems, which system would you recommend? I saw the Z21, but the website for it is not seem to be working right. I am wondering if it is still supported?
Offline applor  
#13 Posted : 06 January 2019 04:23:59(UTC)
applor

Australia   
MAXI loks are perfectly fine with H0 decoders. Unfortunately the default delta decoders are horrible and really need to be replaced.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Purellum  
#14 Posted : 06 January 2019 08:52:21(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
MAXI loks are perfectly fine with H0 decoders.

SMALLER MAXI loks not pulling many wagons are perfectly fine with H0 decoders.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kaybee6  
#15 Posted : 06 January 2019 17:02:39(UTC)
kaybee6

United States   
I would like to still use AC if possible. I do not really have any large MAXI locs, but I would not really want to be limited. I have several points and maybe 5 loks that I would like to use. What system do you think would work for me? I like the Z21 mentioned, but I am wondering about the future of it. Plus it is kind of expensive.
Offline applor  
#16 Posted : 07 January 2019 13:17:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
The latest ECOS supports 7A current which would give you a fair bit of power for 1 gauge trains and accessories
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany