Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Br502362  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2018 09:27:22(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

I have been searching for data if Märklin digital steam locos with sound generators make any running sound on analogue layout
but have found and given contradictory answers. Can anybody confirm either alternative? Sound or no sound?

Locos like 37883, 37885, 37895.

*UPDATE*
I got just email from Märklin which stated that NONE of their digital locomotives with sound generators make engine sounds in analog mode.
How come my V200.0 37803 then makes sound on my layout?

Now I am even more confused...

Help Unsure

Åke

Edited by user 16 February 2018 13:39:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Br502362  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2018 10:28:58(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

If anyone has one of these locos (37883, 37885 or 37895) and could test it on analogue mode to
find out if the sound generator makes any sound when running I would be more than thankful ThumpUp

Cheers

Åke
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2018 16:48:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

If anyone has one of these locos (37883, 37885 or 37895) and could test it on analogue mode to
find out if the sound generator makes any sound when running I would be more than thankful ThumpUp

Cheers

Åke

Hi Åke,

I have the 37885 Br043 which has only a whistle sound. It does not make any noises in analogue mode.

I believe the V200 was one of the few Marklin locos that was designed to make running sounds in analogue mode.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Br502362  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2018 17:14:15(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Cheers

Åke

Hi Åke,

I have the 37885 Br043 which has only a whistle sound. It does not make any noises in analogue mode.

I believe the V200 was one of the few Marklin locos that was designed to make running sounds in analogue mode.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your swift answer. This helped me a lot as I am searching for a steam loco which would make running sounds
in analogue mode. My disabled son is very fond of my V200 which makes sound and he asked if we could get one steam loco too BigGrin

Cheers
Åke

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2018 18:02:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Åke,
if you would like to run your locos analog with sound, personally I don't know whether you can do this with Märklin sound decoders but I know you can run Analog locos with ESU sound decoders but be aware you need a current transformer so when using the Märklin transformer so don't ruin your decoder when you change directions (old transformers had a 24 volt reversing voltage and this is to much for any decoder.
if you need more help I think there are other members ho can help you as well.

what you do need is either a 8 pin or 21 pin adapter this will enable you to connect all the wires from the adapter harness and you just plug the sound decoder into the adapter..

John

Edited by user 02 March 2018 07:29:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Br502362  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2018 21:28:56(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi John,

I use current white transformers so that isn't a problem. I must
get familiar with ESU sound decoders. Something really new for
an analogue mrr enthusiast like me Laugh

Thanks John!

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2018 22:11:47(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Or you could buy and MS2 [ i have 2 of them now ]. I am sure , with your beautiful wiring, you could run your tracks with an MS2 and run all your accessories from and analogue transformer. I do that. I have the option to run all on analogue, part on analogue or all on Digital.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 01 March 2018 20:23:03(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I have been searching for data if Märklin digital steam locos with sound generators make any running sound on analogue layout
The situation is a bit complex.

For fx decoders with DIP switches things are simple: F0 and F1 will be active in analogue operation. That's why some diesel engines have sound (F1), but for steamers F0 and F1 are usually headlights and smoke generator.

For programmable fx decoders, you should be able to program which functions are active in analogue operation.

For mfx decoders you can configure which functions will be active during analogue operation.
I tried this with a 2007 mfx loco and it worked like a charm.
I tried this with a 2012 mfx loco and it didn't work - no sound.
I tried this with a 2017 mfx+ loco and it didn't work - no sound.

Shame on Märklin: the old ESU mfx decoders work as intended, the new non-ESU mfx decoders used by Märklin still have massive teething problems.

The 37883 is so old, it most likely has an ESU decoder. If so, you can use any Central Station, ECoS, or ESU LokProgrammer to activate the sound even for analogue operation.
The 37885 is too old (fx decoder).
The 37895 is too new (Märklin mfx decoder). Problem can be solved with an ESU LokSound decoder.

With programmable decoders you need a digital controller to activate or deactivate sound for analogue operation.

BTW: With current ESU V4 M4 decoders and Zimo decoders you can specify the voltage when the loco starts moving.
When I turn the speed knob to about 50, the lights come on and the sound is initialised (on a Diesel loco I hear the starter sequence, on an electric loco I hear the pantograph rising and ventilation and other systems becoming alive.
When I turn the speed knob to the right, the loco will slowly start moving - acceleration delay is active, braking delay is active if the track voltage is not too low.
You need a sensible finger on the speed knob, but it is a completely new dimension of analogue operation.

Video with the electric loco (with squealing brakes when loco comes to a stop):

Video with the Diesel loco:

Sorry, no steamer videos from me.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Br502362  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2018 07:12:42(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

^ Thanks Tom. That helped me!
Now I must find a BR44 (37883) so I can test it BigGrin

Cheers
Åke
Offline foumaro  
#10 Posted : 03 March 2018 09:33:55(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have 37895,no sound in analog mode,us uxpected.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Br502362  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2019 08:06:12(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
The situation is a bit complex.

For fx decoders with DIP switches things are simple: F0 and F1 will be active in analogue operation. That's why some diesel engines have sound (F1), but for steamers F0 and F1 are usually headlights and smoke generator.

For programmable fx decoders, you should be able to program which functions are active in analogue operation.

For mfx decoders you can configure which functions will be active during analogue operation.
I tried this with a 2007 mfx loco and it worked like a charm.
I tried this with a 2012 mfx loco and it didn't work - no sound.
I tried this with a 2017 mfx+ loco and it didn't work - no sound.

Shame on Märklin: the old ESU mfx decoders work as intended, the new non-ESU mfx decoders used by Märklin still have massive teething problems.

The 37883 is so old, it most likely has an ESU decoder. If so, you can use any Central Station, ECoS, or ESU LokProgrammer to activate the sound even for analogue operation.
The 37885 is too old (fx decoder).
The 37895 is too new (Märklin mfx decoder). Problem can be solved with an ESU LokSound decoder.

With programmable decoders you need a digital controller to activate or deactivate sound for analogue operation.

BTW: With current ESU V4 M4 decoders and Zimo decoders you can specify the voltage when the loco starts moving.
When I turn the speed knob to about 50, the lights come on and the sound is initialised (on a Diesel loco I hear the starter sequence, on an electric loco I hear the pantograph rising and ventilation and other systems becoming alive.
When I turn the speed knob to the right, the loco will slowly start moving - acceleration delay is active, braking delay is active if the track voltage is not too low.
You need a sensible finger on the speed knob, but it is a completely new dimension of analogue operation.

Video with the electric loco (with squealing brakes when loco comes to a stop):

Video with the Diesel loco:

Sorry, no steamer videos from me.

Hi Tom,

BR44 (37883) works now like a charm!
My local Märklin dealers service guy activated sounds.
Additional sounds can also be heard depending on the voltage.

My son will be very exited when he next time visits us.

BR44100.jpg

Thanks to all for your help ThumpUp

Cheers
Åke