Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Markus Schild  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2018 23:00:13(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
The Märklin - pillars for the tin-bridges (7064, 7065) have a problem: The most examples are bent and distorted. Often they became unusable at all.
A friend saw the distorted pillars on my layout and had the idea, that they could be printed. So I tried to copy them.

UserPostedImage

Original on the right, reprinted on the left. A single 6mm and two 6mm parts stuck together in the foreground.

UserPostedImage

I have drawn versions in 6mm, 30mm and 60mm. Märklin never offered them in 60mm. But this saves printing-time.

UserPostedImage

So far I didn't found a colour which matches the Märklin - colour exactly. Here I tried a EDDING - spray, hazel-brown. Not the best, but can be used. Original for comparison.

UserPostedImage

But there is a little disadvantage: A 60mm pillar takes six hours to print on my printer in best quality (0.1 mm slices). A version sliced 0.2 mm which is still good and usable still takes more than three hours.

EDIT:

Today I added the base-plate 7066. Usually they are in better shape than the pillars, but I liked to have the complete system:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764885

Edit II:

The pillars for Märklin metal bridges and ramps( 7161, 7162, 7163) are not useable for double bridges. Two pillars side by side are wider than the regular distance between two tracks in the given geometry (77.4mm). This has historic reasons. When the pillars appeared first in 1948, Märklin had only one radius. The 3700/5200 tracks appeared in 1949. So I designed these pillars which are similar to ones sold by Märklin between the late 1940s and 1970 but suitable for double - lines. This product is about 70 years late. But better late than never.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

All files for the double-pillars: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2783344

Regards

Markus

Edited by user 05 February 2018 22:42:52(UTC)  | Reason: New part added.

thanks 14 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline katz1002  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2018 23:40:54(UTC)
katz1002

Australia   
Marcus,

They look great!!

I've got a couple of the old tin bridges and need to respray them but have been putting that off for quite a while now.

This may just prompt me to spruce them up and reinstall with new pillars as well.

Thanks
Offline DasBert33  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2018 19:46:15(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Very nice!

You are hard to keep up with, I urgently need to publish my new projects to counter BigGrin.

The printing time is still reasonable I guess, the night has plenty of hours Laugh, and after all, modelling is supposed to be a slow hobby.

Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2018 20:24:57(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Bert,

I added the base-plate #7066 today.

I'm not a fan of printing over night. My printer would not be the first to catch fire. Burning printers aren't rare. There is everything needed: Heat, inflammable materials, high currents. I print over night when it is needed because a model is to large. But I don't sleep well doing it.

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline DasBert33  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2018 09:34:47(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Thats fair.

You are right. I have put mine in a closet to be able to do higher temps for PETG and ABS. I should probably also install a fire alarm inside for more ease of mind. It appears mini automatic fire exthinghuisers also exist. Maybe that is also something for in a cabinet.

I have a question on your model: how did you do the brick shapes, and how good is the quality after printing? How much can it be scaled down if any? I am thinking of making my own printable 'faller kit' of my house, and probably the main drawback would be the lack of detail on outside walls.

B
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2018 16:23:09(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Bert,

The walls are designed using the "array" - function in the DRAFT - workbench of FreeCAD. It allows you to place the same object (in this case bricks) repetitive in a matrix.

UserPostedImage

These bricks were put on the "naked" wall which is another part.

A sample of a brick - wall, if you want to try the function: https://dl.dropbox.com/s...beh6t78veequ5/wall.FCStd

I use gaps of ~0.2mm between the bricks. Less in vertical oriented gaps than in horizontal orientation. 0.1mm are still printed visible in horizontal orientation if a model is sliced in layers of 0.1mm

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2018 22:40:18(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi all,

I added pillars for double bridges above.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Br502362  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2018 13:28:36(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bert,

I added the base-plate #7066 today.

I'm not a fan of printing over night. My printer would not be the first to catch fire. Burning printers aren't rare. There is everything needed: Heat, inflammable materials, high currents. I print over night when it is needed because a model is to large. But I don't sleep well doing it.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

Have you though about automatic fire extinguisher?

http://blazecut.com/small-enclosures/description/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X9uMCbl3eo

Here in Finland 1m long model costs 145€

Regards

Åke
Offline Markus Schild  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2018 18:34:47(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Åke,

Interesting idea. But the company has closed its operation in Germany: https://www.blazecut.de/ The notice on the web-site does not look trustworthy at all.

Regards

Markus

Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2018 21:51:28(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I wonder if rough stone looking pillars could be made as well. Maybe also there may be a printer some that uses several colours of plastic. It would be like printing photos. Beyond my capabilities i'm afraid.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Markus Schild  
#11 Posted : 15 February 2018 17:11:50(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Dereck,

UserPostedImage

Something like this? I used AUTODESK MESHMIXER to transform the bricks. But I would not like to travel in train which runs over a bridge with pillars like this.

Yes, there are printers which can print more than one colour. But they are limited to the filament-colours which are offered by the industry. And these colours match LEGO but in the most cases they are not usable for modelling.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 15 February 2018 17:31:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dereck,

Something like this? I used AUTODESK MESHMIXER to transform the bricks. But I would not like to travel in train which runs over a bridge with pillars like this.

Yes, there are printers which can print more than one colour. But they are limited to the filament-colours which are offered by the industry. And these colours match LEGO but in the most cases they are not usable for modelling.

Regards

Markus

I think he was thinking of something more like rough cut stone rather than weathered brick. More like this.

Offline Markus Schild  
#13 Posted : 15 February 2018 18:50:02(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

More like this?

UserPostedImage

Like a castle?

Regards

Markus

Offline sudibarba  
#14 Posted : 17 February 2018 04:24:42(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Make something out of wood.
Erid