Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2018 18:01:57(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
So here I am on a warm February 4C day creating blocks on my NEW C track layout.

As the basic requirement for a block is; it must hold my longest train. Which in a sense can be a locomotive or a train with 100 cars?

Confusing but interesting so....

Time for a break so I decided to come upstairs for coffee and while I'm enjoying my coffee I come across this :

http://www.mckinleyrailw.../item/19-block-detection

What I find very interesting is this paragraph;

We have put occupancy detection on all sections of track including points and track sections too small to be a block. The computer software has a safety feature that will not release a path through a junction until it has become unoccupied. To take advantage of this, we have glued small 10K Ohm resistors (surface mount technology) bridging one axle of every wagon and unlit carriage. The small flow of current across each axle ensures that the occupancy sensors indicate to the computer when a complete train has left a block, and not just the location of the engine at the front of the train.

Yes I know about the 10K Ohm resistors but I never though of detecting all sections. If you have created blocks on your layout what are your thought on this?

Regards.
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2018 19:25:34(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
If you are doing a big exhibition or museum type layout and you want additional safety features build in (and have the man power and finances) it may make sense.

But for normal hobbyist I would not recommend it. It’s an overkill and you can get perfectly smooth running with a more simple occupancy detection.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2018 20:08:53(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

As the basic requirement for a block is; it must hold my longest train.

This limitation is true for analog. It is not true for software control of a digital system.

We have put occupancy detection on all sections of track including points and track sections too small to be a block. The computer software has a safety feature that will not release a path through a junction until it has become unoccupied. To take advantage of this, we have glued small 10K Ohm resistors (surface mount technology) bridging one axle of every wagon and unlit carriage. The small flow of current across each axle ensures that the occupancy sensors indicate to the computer when a complete train has left a block, and not just the location of the engine at the front of the train.

Yes I know about the 10K Ohm resistors but I never though of detecting all sections. If you have created blocks on your layout what are your thought on this?

Regards.

The addition of resistors to axles applies to 2-rail operations. Märklin axles are not isolated from either wheel so adding a resistor will achieve nothing.

If you use software, detection is only required for the leading edge of the train if the length of the train is known. All occupancy of tracks (or 'blocks') can be deduced by the software from that information. If the length of the train is unknown, then any form of detection (s88 points or occupancy) at the rear of the train can be used by the software, but it will be slightly less reliable than using train length IMHO.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2018 21:04:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I agree with Dale,

The resistor installation is for DC/DCC layouts where the two wheels are electrically isolated (similar to using resistive paint on the isolated wheel). For Marklin and other cars where the two wheels are already electrically connected there is no need to do this. (unless of course your running some DC based or plastic wheeled cars - you should make sure the wheels of your cars are electrically connected.

The other question was, if I gathered it correctly, "should one do detection on every inch of track on the layout" and not just in "dedicated detection segments" at the beginning/end of blocks. There are arguments for both cases. With computer controlled software you can certainly get by with less detection regions, even without knowing the train length. But if you need to worry about wagons decoupling in areas where you may not notice, and want to prevent a collision, then making every bit of track feeding some S88 detection input makes sense. It just costs more as you need more S88 inputs and processing.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2018 22:37:16(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Yes, the addition of resistors to axles applies to 2-rail operations not Marklin. What surprised me was to put occupancy detectors on all sections.

Before I commenced on wiring the new “C track” layout I realized that it would be very easy to detect all the track but is it necessary? Not from what I have read in RR&Co Traincontroller. From knowing what constitutes a block the answer is no but it is intriguing that his layout is done so.

Regards.

Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2018 23:17:46(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
When it concerns blocks I actually had quite an interesting discussion with a retired Canadian National Signals & Communications manager. As Brian put it, A block is as long as it can be signalled, so it could be a hundred feet to 100 kilometres long in real life.

But for us there are different guidelines and rules when it comes to computer control. Very interesting.......

Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2018 12:45:30(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
So here I am on a warm February 4C day creating blocks on my NEW C track layout.

As the basic requirement for a block is; it must hold my longest train. Which in a sense can be a locomotive or a train with 100 cars?

Confusing but interesting so....

Time for a break so I decided to come upstairs for coffee and while I'm enjoying my coffee I come across this :

http://www.mckinleyrailw.../item/19-block-detection

What I find very interesting is this paragraph;

Regards.

Hi Michel

Yes, in most cases, a block must be longer than the longest train (in my case 1.7 m on main lines, .4m on branch /secundary lines). This is the case on my lay-out. On Rocrail there is a possibility -I am pretty sure- to have trains occupying more than one block but I didn't try it.

In normal operation (i.e;: not with super long trains) with Rocrail, it computes the train length and compares with available block length less the minimum block length (a parameter to set the computation precision- 10 mm in my case) to decide if the train can be sent to the block in question

Yes, the most tracks including detection provide safety of operation but in my case using C-track I did not modify the switches to include this detection. My present lay-out is in operation for 4 years and this was not a problem
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2018 19:52:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The "block bigger than longest train" ties directly into the capabilities your control software uses/has in order to manage the movement of trains on the layout.
If you start from the position of "all trains fit in every block" then you can control the layout by using block entry sensors only, and know once a train enters a block, it MUST have completely left the block 2 blocks back and that one is now clear.

If you have more detection zones, or even detect everywhere, you can have blocks of any size, because the computer knows any block is empty by the fact that it knows nothing is in it - the software doesn't have to rely on sensors a block away and an assumed rule about length.

Having entry and exits sensor zones on blocks is a middle ground, assuming your software supports that logic, and facilitates bidirectional travel.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline PMPeter  
#9 Posted : 15 February 2018 21:54:53(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
If I followed the "all blocks must be longer than the longest train" I wouldn't be able to run my ICE3 or Railjet passenger trains. Perhaps that requirement was a constraint under a non-computer controlled layout, but it certainly doesn't apply to software control. Out of my 32 blocks on my layout, probably only 10 blocks are longer than my ICE3 or Railjet. However, these trains are not restricted to those 10 blocks due to software definitions of "crossing blocks" in Rocrail when a route is established, thus allowing them to run almost anywhere on the layout.

I have blocks varying anywhere from ~2,000 mm to ~500 mm allowing the longer trains to cross through the shorter blocks and the shorter blocks allowing a railbus or locomotive to stop in those blocks if desired.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline PeFu  
#10 Posted : 16 February 2018 17:55:51(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
On my previous layout, the complete blocks were detected. However, using TC, I found that this wasn’t needed. Now on the new layout, only approx. 20 cm of ”brake” and ”stop” sections are detected, as the software controls which blocks that are occupied.

Regarding having trains that are longer than the blocks, TC Gold can manage this, as you can define both train and block lengths. The software calculates how many blocks behind - and connecting routes via turnouts - that shouldn’t be released for other trains. Not very prototypical, but a nice way to enable those long, winding trains on a smaller layout! BigGrin
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu