Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline engelphotos  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2018 01:14:26(UTC)
engelphotos

United States   
Hi everyone, I'm Fred and new to the site and wish everyone well. Troubles a brewing, I bought 3 Loco's from an auction and know the seller personally. I also acquired 30 something freight cars and 20 Passenger cars. I had nothing else. I now have some track and a mobile station 60657. After connecting everything the mobile station doesn't recognize the locos at all. I did the find loco and had limited success. Two locos the lights come on but control is intermittent and utilizing the big red wheel has no effect. So first of some of the track is used and some new. The Locos have probably been sitting for at least 5 years. Locos are the following; 34614 and 34612. Where would anyone start ?

FredCursing
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by engelphotos
Offline Ausipeet  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2018 01:20:32(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
One would start by looking for and downloading the shcematics for the engines you have and then look at how to pull the engine apart and give all the gears a good clean with isopropl alcohol and then re oil them and try again on the track, also run a cloth with some cleaning fluid over the track to give them a clean.

Hope this helps. and welcome to the forum.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2018 08:08:58(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: engelphotos Go to Quoted Post
After connecting everything the mobile station doesn't recognize the locos at all. I did the find loco and had limited success.
Find loco does not work with Delta locos. Your locos originally came with Delta decoders and if they were not upgraded, they cannot be recognised.
You can add the locos from Database and look up the ref. numbers in the list stored in the MS2. If the locos do not have the default addresses, then they will not work until you match the addresses between MS2 and loco.

Open the locos and make sure they are set for digital operation (all four DIP switches off means analogue operation).
Also make sure the locos have different addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline engelphotos  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2018 22:01:54(UTC)
engelphotos

United States   
Tom, Thanks for the good info I've taken off the shell and all four dip switches where set for analog. I found in the Manuel the setting for delta and digital. After setting this no luck. Also couldn't find any info about this specific loco (Specifically series 460 #34614). There's also a switch that i believe is for the setting the cannery vs. track power. I'm still hunting for info

Fred
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2018 08:52:21(UTC)
H0

Both locos are from the same time and one manual fits both.
With switches 1 and 4 on you have address 24. Maybe flick the switches a few times to make sure corrosion is removed.
Set the locos for ground contact (not catenary) and make sure the MS2 track box is connected correctly (red wire to centre rail B and brown wire to outer rail 0).

What's the third loco?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline engelphotos  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2018 01:35:42(UTC)
engelphotos

United States   
So, I’ve been able to set the loco dip switches and get the controller to recognize the engine. So I’ve been able to summarize that the decoders in these engines are fairly old and at some point need to be replaced. Although I can control the engine and turn lights on and off theirs no horn or bell ? My plan is to continue working on the track plan and layout and then do some maintenance on the engines. What type of oil product is safe for lubricating points on the loco

Fred
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2018 08:10:21(UTC)
H0

Although I can control the engine and turn lights on and off theirs no horn or bell?
Sounds are rather new. Now most locos come with full sound.
10 to 15 years ago locos came with whistle sound and controllable long-distance headlights - and those were the premium locos.
Before buying, find out which functions a loco has.

What type of oil product is safe for lubricating points on the loco
In the '70s Märklin sold winter-grade car motor oil. I never had problems with that and the oil was not hardened 30+ years later.
Buying oil (and maybe grease) from any major MRR brand should do the job. The oil is overpriced, but you can easily apply the oil.
I bought the Fleischmann oil because the bottle reminded me of the Märklin oil of the '70s.
On your side of the big pond, other brands may be easier available.
For modern locos you will also need grease. I use Roco grease, but any major MRR brand should do.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2018 21:41:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The only reasons to update the oil/grease to the most modern version recommended is that there could be some materials (eg plastics) or printing technology(for the colors and labels on the shells of the locos) that may not tolerate contact/use of older chemical(oil/grease) compositions. Beyond that I expect little differences between them. More critical is likely not over-oiling or putting too much grease on - as that only captures dust and dirt and makes things worse.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline engelphotos  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2018 06:10:00(UTC)
engelphotos

United States   
Thanks for all the great info,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by engelphotos