Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AMBROSINO, Gilles  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:11:05(UTC)
AMBROSINO, Gilles

France   
Dear all,

I am in possession of a Marklin Krokrodil 3015, bought by my father in the fifties. I LOVE THIS LEGEND MACHINE.

It has already been equiped with a Marklin decoder 14 years ago keeping the universal motor. The result is weak : no charge compensation, no smoothness.

I know there is a possibility of replacing the original stator by a ESU 51965 permanent magnet.

In this case, which ESU decoder suits the best ? ; takink into consideration that the 3015 motor is heavy in current (2 A ?)and the space within the hood is limited.

Did anyone already execute this operation ? Is it complicated ? (I already made such upgrading on old loKs but with Marklin kits ans ESU Lokpilot decoders).

Is the result conclusive ? If you could also advise me for the setting of the CV's, I will be eternally grateful to you fot that !

Best regards

Gilles AMBROSINO, 3 rue des Dahlias, France,
+33 6 09 76 85 92, +33 1 69 43 18 57
gilles.ambrosino@dbmail.com
Offline waltklatt  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:32:52(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Gilles,
Why, would you want to convert the beautiful loco 3015 to a more modern one.
I am sure others would agree.
I would keep the 3015 as original as a memory of your fun with your father.
Get a newer version crocodile already equipped with the decoder and 5 pole motor and use that for the function on layout.
The original 3015 of yours can be proudly shown in a display.

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2018 21:07:45(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
As the Croc isn’t untouched or in mint condition anymore, I would also go for a decoder Love Here is an example:

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
#4 Posted : 16 January 2018 22:34:37(UTC)
AMBROSINO, Gilles

France   
Originally Posted by: waltklatt Go to Quoted Post
Gilles,
Why, would you want to convert the beautiful loco 3015 to a more modern one.
I am sure others would agree.
I would keep the 3015 as original as a memory of your fun with your father.
Get a newer version crocodile already equipped with the decoder and 5 pole motor and use that for the function on layout.
The original 3015 of yours can be proudly shown in a display.

Walter

Dear Walter,
The damage is already done, as the machine has been equiped with a decoder for 15 years. In addition to that I have no longer analog trafo. I am waiting with impatience to see my loved KroKrodil running smoothly on my digital layout.

After all I know a lot of venerable people walking blithely with hip prosthesis and eating with good appetite with dental implant for their greatest hapinness.

Sorry for this very bad joke, and thank you for your purist response that I understand and respect.

Cordially; Gilles.
Offline waltklatt  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2018 22:57:13(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Gilles,
You can say that again about the implants and hip replacements.

Missed the part with the decoder already there-need new glasses or eyes.

Hmm, then for the smoother motor, you might hunt around for one that matches the configuration you have currently with 5 poles.
I have not been there yet, as I have the later crocodiles with a single driven truck.
Yours has both trucks driven with universal joints.

Ask PeFu what he did to his.

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waltklatt
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2018 14:52:22(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- Im' curious how this magnet has helped running quality, as I just received one in the mail. (and the oddball plastic screws to avoid shorting) Anyone have experience?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Best Ripper  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2018 16:44:41(UTC)
Best Ripper

Bulgaria   
Hi, Gilles. I'm using Uhlenbrock decoder 76200 for my oldtime Marklin AC motors. And it's working fine without any other replacements. As I understood only Uhlenbrock is still making good decoders for AC motors. All other manufactures are making their decoders according to DC motors and they don't work properly for AC ones. Regards.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Best Ripper
#8 Posted : 18 January 2018 18:13:02(UTC)
AMBROSINO, Gilles

France   
Bonsoir.

Finally I will delegate the transformation to my dealer who is used to this stuff. He suggests a LokPilot V4. I will do a post to keep the interested people informed.
Best regards.

Gilles
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2018 00:02:09(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Best Ripper Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Gilles. I'm using Uhlenbrock decoder 76200 for my oldtime Marklin AC motors. And it's working fine without any other replacements. As I understood only Uhlenbrock is still making good decoders for AC motors. All other manufactures are making their decoders according to DC motors and they don't work properly for AC ones. Regards.

They are good decoders, reasonable performance, you can even attach an intellisound module....i have some around
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL