Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2018 21:45:57(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Random Sunday thoughts:

Like most folks in this hobby, I grew up with trains, grew out of them, and one day returned. After a short period in N scale, I jumped in full speed ahead when I discovered the joy of Maerklin HO, especially what Delta/Digital operation promised – namely the ability to power a layout with only two wires! Gone were the confusing and often frustrating moments spent on complicated block wiring: each locomotive had its own unique address and – joy of joys – some even had a whistle!

In the years since I re-entered this rewarding and fascinating hobby, digital technology has advanced by leaps and bounds. Locomotives with up to 20 light and sound functions (or more) are becoming more common. Gone are the Delta or Digital controllers. Now you can choose between the Mobile Station or, if you’re really dedicated, a Central Station to operate your miniature world. Of course, this new technology comes with a commensurate price tag which, I hear more often than not, keeps a new generation from entering (or re-entering) the hobby. And for collectors and operators of vintage models, the prospect of converting their cherished analog locomotives isn’t worth the time, effort, or price. Of course, they can retire their well-loved and still operational locomotives in exchange for newer ones with all the associated bells and whistles – but, again, is it worth it?

I haven’t purchased a new locomotive in some time, opting instead for those locomotives popular in my youth. With apologies to Florian Sieber, choosing between a new Crocodile for close to $500 – one which, like the last one, had to be repaired less than six months after purchase – or a vintage, near-new condition analog version picked up at a train show two years ago for $125 is easy. Don’t misunderstand: while I still like the newer offerings, the older items are becoming more important to me. As a fellow collector and operator once said, “You don’t need to program them… just play with them.”

So, as I get ready to build that vintage, M-track layout for all my loks and rolling stock (old and new), I fully expect to run into a few struggles. But I also know I won’t be searching for software updates, figuring out how to re-set values, etc. (And just like those vintage Lionel trains I've picked up over the years, so long as there’s a compatible transformer around, they’ll continue to perform just as well as they did for their initial owners so many years ago.)

Comments?
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline sidblack  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2018 22:50:51(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
I agree with much of what you've said. I really enjoy the straightforward analog aspect of operating the layout, especially as in every other aspect of my life I'm having to deal with the digital revolution. Running the trains is a welcome break from that.
But I haven't had the opportunity of playing with a digital layout and I'm sure there would be major benefits in operating my layout with a mobile station. It would be easier to have more complex operations that's for sure. The Märklin Magazine has been putting some very persuasive arguments for going digital.

So as with most issues there are valid points to be made each side.

The sad thing about anything digital is how quickly things become obsolete with rapid changes in technology. That's a source of frustration in most other aspects of my life. So bring on the analog trains. They'll still be going strong long after my Iphone, smart TV etc have stopped working properly due to lack of updates.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2018 23:10:17(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
Random Sunday thoughts:

Like most folks in this hobby, I grew up with trains, grew out of them, and one day returned. After a short period in N scale, I jumped in full speed ahead when I discovered the joy of Maerklin HO, especially what Delta/Digital operation promised – namely the ability to power a layout with only two wires! Gone were the confusing and often frustrating moments spent on complicated block wiring: each locomotive had its own unique address and – joy of joys – some even had a whistle!

(snip)

So, as I get ready to build that vintage, M-track layout for all my loks and rolling stock (old and new), I fully expect to run into a few struggles. But I also know I won’t be searching for software updates, figuring out how to re-set values, etc. (And just like those vintage Lionel trains I've picked up over the years, so long as there’s a compatible transformer around, they’ll continue to perform just as well as they did for their initial owners so many years ago.)

Comments?

Hi Steve, (from one to another), random Monday response BigGrin

In a large way I agree with you. I was a relatively 'early-adopter' of Digital, the first generation specifically, got myself a starter-set with a somewhat limiting Central Control (4 preset loco & 4 k83 addresses for 4 accessories). At the time it was not an issue because I only had one Digital Loco, in fact back then I only had 4 or 5 loco's in total, but I did get a Decoder also to convert one.

Next up was the PC Interface and I spent quite some time playing around with programming some very basic layout automation (using a small club layout given over for the role) along with various PC systems and software but it was far from an exact science, especially when it came to reading s88 encoders for track feedback.

It was not long before the Intellibox was announced and I thought that has got to be a better investment than upgrading to a Control-800 because it offered heaps more control options.

But it was several more years before I actually got the Intellibox and although it was relatively easy to use, it did not quite have the direct push-button simplicity of the Märklin system (now had to work through Menu's), however this also points to the limitations of the Märklin system.

Then the upgrades seem to come quicker, first the 6021 which I never got because it offered little I did not already have in the IB, followed by the first Central and Mobile Stations, and I did end up with an MS1 by default of buying the Harry Potter set which included it, but to be honest I rarely used it and perhaps I should have but the relative convenience (or familiarity) of the three throttles provided by my IB connected to my original Central Control just made quick and easy playing so simple.

I also had some time away from the hobby while dealing with other issues and was finding it harder and harder to keep up with the jargon and lingo around the new systems. Some enthusiasts in our club took to Digital in a big way and we had a very diverse range of control options being used. Even our Club's large flagship exhibition layout was gradually assimilated and although I could be taken through the operation of the CS and it all made sense it would only take a few weeks of not using it and I felt I was starting from scratch again.

But quite aside from the control aspect, several models were released with features that really appealed to me. Obviously Sound was a big thing, and we now had a range of Light options for Loco's and Coaches.

Then Remote-control Pantographs, the Catenary Maintenance Railcar with the moveable platform, the Breakdown Crane with all it's movement (and in a reasonably priced package). But of course all these required Digital Controllers and were starting to get beyond what was once easy with my IB.

Last year my lovely wife treated me to a pre-loved CS2 and as much as I am fascinated with it, I am also daunted. It just has such a huge range of features and options, and sadly, a parallel commentary here and elsewhere of problem after problem - updates that don't work, compatibility with other items (ie no realistic way for me to integrate the CS2 with my earlier-generation setup, even just for the additional throttles), then add into that the range of manufacturers producing Decoders with such a range of functions and 'supposed' compatibility (but not quite), and don't get me started on CV changes!

And believe me, I'm no luddite! - I'm a many-years hardware technician by profession, can find my way around most software with reasonable success and generally like technology, but when I get back to the real basics of Analogue operation, and even some of the complexities of signal wiring etc, I just feel a lot more 'at home' with it.

But when the grandkids come around, I know it's the CS2 they are going to want to play with so I need to get myself up to speed if not just for their sake.

And something else, I now have these early systems virtually redundant - the Central Control, the Interface, the Intellibox, several Loco's with early generation Decoders (those I can probably live with to some degree because I can still run them under Analogue) but will this 'old' technology have any appeal to collectors or enthusiasts in years to come?, and should they need repair, could parts even be sourced let along someone with the skills to diagnose and repair. Crikey it's hard enough getting some mechanical parts for older items now let alone some IC that's been long-superceded.

Groan.

Good topic

Cheers

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2018 23:22:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Of course, nostalgia becomes more of a factor the older we all get. I love some of my analogue trains, which is why I have arranged my layout to operate in either analogue or digital mode at the flick of a switch.

Being an advocate of both systems, I can consider myself to be impartial to a certain extent in the digital versus analogue debate. So what do I enjoy more? Undoubtedly I find it much more fun to run my digital trains. Let's compare:

My layout has four sidings that can be isolated, so in analogue mode I can have four trains, running two at a time. Both trains that are running have to start and stop together as they are powered off the same transformer. I have no control of speed independently for each train. Invariably I find myself running the trains one at a time.

In digital mode all isolating sections are switched in and become irrelevant. I can have up to seven trains on the layout, and only those I select will run at any one time. Two trains can be running at the same time, as in analogue mode, but I can control them independently. With careful use of the throttle I can have a third or even fourth train running as well, but it requires some concentration to avoid running one into the back of the other. It can be fun to try this though! In addition I have the benefits of locos with sound and lighting effects as well as vastly improved running qualities.

As to the trains themselves, the older Marklin classics are no doubt well built and will last virtually forever, assuming spare parts continue to be available. The newer trains suffer from reduced reliability, inevitable due to their technical complexity. However, in terms of accuracy and detail there is no comparison. The newer models are scale models whereas the older ones look more toy-like. As I mentioned above, the newer models also run much better, being quieter, smoother, and more controllable from a crawl to a realistic maximum speed. They also incorporate interesting and fun working functions which would be impossible in a purely analogue model.

To sum up, although I appreciate and very much love the old Marklin analogue classics, I really prefer running my newer digital trains!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2018 04:49:17(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Random Sunday thoughts:

In the years since I re-entered this rewarding and fascinating hobby, digital technology has advanced by leaps and bounds. Locomotives with up to 20 light and sound functions (or more) are becoming more common. Gone are the Delta or Digital controllers. Now you can choose between the Mobile Station or, if you’re really dedicated, a Central Station to operate your miniature world. Of course, this new technology comes with a commensurate price tag which, I hear more often than not, keeps a new generation from entering (or re-entering) the hobby. And for collectors and operators of vintage models, the prospect of converting their cherished analog locomotives isn’t worth the time, effort, or price. Of course, they can retire their well-loved and still operational locomotives in exchange for newer ones with all the associated bells and whistles – but, again, is it worth it?

I haven’t purchased a new locomotive in some time, opting instead for those locomotives popular in my youth. With apologies to Florian Sieber, choosing between a new Crocodile for close to $500 – one which, like the last one, had to be repaired less than six months after purchase – or a vintage, near-new condition analog version picked up at a train show two years ago for $125 is easy. Don’t misunderstand: while I still like the newer offerings, the older items are becoming more important to me. As a fellow collector and operator once said, “You don’t need to program them… just play with them.”

Comments?

Hello Steve,

I agree with a lot of what you have said and can understand why you look to a return to analogue.

I started in analogue about 1982, then progressed to "simple digital" around 1995.
However, I stopped at the end of your first paragraph.
Thus I remain with 6021 family of controllers, appreciating as you said : "each locomotive had its own unique address ...". I do like the keyboard and the ability to set routes with the "memory" units but like you I felt that beyond that into more complex digital developments started to impinge on simply playing with the trains. I can utilise the newer models and I am quite content to have a limit of 5 functions.

But above all : to each his own and whatever makes you happy!

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Ian555  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2018 10:54:59(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
I agree with all the above posts...ThumpUp

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2018 11:06:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Random Sunday thoughts:

Comments?

Hello Steve,

I agree with a lot of what you have said and can understand why you look to a return to analogue.

I started in analogue about 1982, then progressed to "simple digital" around 1995.
However, I stopped at the end of your first paragraph.
Thus I remain with 6021 family of controllers, appreciating as you said : "each locomotive had its own unique address ...". I do like the keyboard and the ability to set routes with the "memory" units but like you I felt that beyond that into more complex digital developments started to impinge on simply playing with the trains. I can utilise the newer models and I am quite content to have a limit of 5 functions.

But above all : to each his own and whatever makes you happy!

Regards,

PJ

All valid comments of course ThumpUp

But blimmen' heck, do the lights in your street dim when you power that sucker up? lol Scared

Seriously though, an impressive setup indeed. I always found the banks of keyboards a bit daunting, thinking of trying to remember which buttons controlled which turnouts or signals which is why when I digitised our clubs layout all those years back I went for a 6041 and a home-made track-diagram board with push buttons and LED's, it just seems more intuitive, but of course takes more space.

I also have a 6041 of my own which I actually got not all that long ago because the price was right but I'm faced with possibly not being able to use it with my CS2 - yes I know the CS2 has the on-screen version but an actual tactile diagram board is just kinda cool. I must admit, I did not test the Connect-6021 that I borrowed with the 6041, I should do that while I still have it. That alone would almost justify it.

And finally, my beedy eyes spotted the control box for the wonderful Faller Container Terminal just at the far left of your control-board and I just see the Terminal itself. How do you find the operation of it? Do you also use the Faller AMS cars or just the Terminal?

https://www.marklin-users.net/cookee_nz/ams/iteminfo/402_406_408-Container/402-containerterminal.htm

I have incorporated one into my portion of the NZ Modular Layout initiative... (still a work in progress but this was proof of concept at least)

WP_20170415_11_40_43_Pro.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline PJMärklin  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2018 12:29:55(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Steve,

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

But blimmen' heck, do the lights in your street dim when you power that sucker up? lol Scared

Fear not, the street lights (together with the rest of the layout lighting) have their own transformer (and a true transformer too !) :

UserPostedImage

There are also separate power sources for three boosters and the 6021 unit for the four main lines (where I can run a total of 8 trains simultaneously), also a power source for the booster to the yards :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

and the station gleis areas, the freight/container/steamservice/ turntable areas:

UserPostedImage

Also the signals and the non-digital turnouts have their own transformer:

UserPostedImage

Plenty of power for all! and in Tasmania all that power (usually) comes from water turning turbines.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

And finally, my beedy eyes spotted the control box for the wonderful Faller Container Terminal just at the far left of your control-board and I just see the Terminal itself. How do you find the operation of it? Do you also use the Faller AMS cars or just the Terminal?

https://www.marklin-users.net/cookee_nz/ams/iteminfo/402_406_408-Container/402-containerterminal.htm

I have incorporated one into my portion of the NZ Modular Layout initiative... (still a work in progress but this was proof of concept at least)

Well spotted! Laugh I bought the Faller Container Terminal in Tübingen (Bavaria) when visiting for other reasons around 1983. Being motorised it is fun to load and unload the containers. In the same yard area I also have a loading ramp for "unloading" trucks from the low truck wagons.
I do not have any Faller AMS cars but the setup for them looks very interesting on your modular layout - it must be fun to be able to drive the cars off the carriers onto the road via the ramp.ThumpUp
Nice information and detailed images of the Container Terminal on your websiteCool

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

(you will note some container freight from New Zealand awaits unloading)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2018 14:55:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, I of course agree with the OP.
Although I find it interessting and impressive how the electronic controls work, I kind of knew quite early on, that it wouldnt really be worth the effort for me to go digital.
Neither economically nor practically. As I already knew how I would like my layout to function, individual control was pretty much ruled out anyway.

-And I want to add, that I am also a computer programmer, and also dabble a bit with electronic hardware. So no stranger to modern information tecnology.
Actually, part of my desire to stay analogue, was to NOT have "that stuff" in my train-room. I _KNOW_ that my way of operating the layout can be done perfectly with digfital locos and PC-software, but I dont really want to code or program even more in my spare time.

I think my biggest concern from NOT buying new digital equipment, is that Märklin "suffers" from missing sales. Well, at least I buy my tracks from them... (K-track is better bought new, as it breaks so easily from wrong handling)

I hope that in the future the digital control can be "free" of its hardware platform. Much better to have a general APP for mobiles, tablets and PC-style computers. A method where the stuff you buy expensively doesnt get obsolete, and can get back to be an "investment for life".
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline hennabm  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2018 18:05:17(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
When I came back to M* around 9 years ago I did consider digital. But for all the reasons of progress and becoming obsolete quickly as well as the nostalgia factor, I stayed analogue.

That means I can get to relive my childhood as well as buy ALL the stuff I wanted as a child and run that as I want.

I do have one digi lok - an ESU - and while that is good it doesn't stir me like a good old 3011 or 3027 or 3016 does.

Happy analoguing.ThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Tex  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2018 18:44:16(UTC)
Tex

United States   

I understand the reasons for the posts but with 20 locomotives and a fairly large layout I would not consider analogue . On the other hand I want to control the speed, deceleration and acceleration of each train . I also want to use ESU as well as Marklin decoders and to give the engines any code I wish. For these reasons I am staying with the basic 6021 digital control .

Tex
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tex
Offline applor  
#12 Posted : 10 January 2018 01:53:04(UTC)
applor

Australia   
The hobby can be as simple or complicated as you want regardless of digital/analog, all depends on what you want to do and what you want to get out of the hobby.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Mark_1602  
#13 Posted : 13 January 2018 17:37:48(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

Comments?

Hi,

Yes, they'll continue to perform just as well as they used to, but only if disassembled and cleaned on a regular basis. I must have bought about a hundred vintage locos on Ebay.de since 2009, but only a handful of them were relatively clean inside. It's often said that old locos can't run at very low speeds, but those with a large flat collector motor (LFCM) can if you get all the grime out. I've just finished cleaning a 3096 from 1971 that must have been cleaned just before I bought it, but even that one still had the old, disintegrated sponges above the motor axles. The dirt as well as the old oil in there gets into the motor soon after it's been cleaned, so they should be replaced as well. Up to now I haven't seen a single vintage locos with new sponges, although they can be ordered cheaply from Märklin.

Most vintage models on the market haven't been looked after for many years, many have had touch-ups, and the more sought after collector's models have often been faked in one way or another. Check your old locos with a UV lamp, and you'll see what I mean. Often the chassis and the house do not match, or key parts have been replaced. It's very hard to find truly original vintage models, and even if I find one that seems to be authentic, I can only tell for sure after having disassembled and cleaned it.

I think that analogue trains are actually hard work. Cleaning an old loco carefully takes at least two hours, and on top of that, there's the risk of causing some damage in the process as well the trouble often caused by reversing units.

One big advantage of digital locos is the wide variety of models and versions you can choose from, and another is the fact that little servicing is required with DC motors, which can be replaced cheaply. I love vintage and analogue, but I won't give up on digital models because I want some variety. Another point that plays a role for me is my two-year-old son. Even if I manage to get him interested in Märklin trains, he'll probably prefer digital sooner or later because of the whistles and bells ...

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#14 Posted : 16 January 2018 20:58:41(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Thank you all for your thoughts and observations. There's no doubt the running characteristics of the new locomotives are very smooth, compared with their analog predecessors. Just yesterday, I did some running of both analog and digital items and, no doubt about it, the digitally-equipped locos ran beautifully with my MS2... although I must admit, after a few loops around the track, I shut off the sound functions -- a bit too much for a small space. (Imagine the noise of several running at once!) The nostalgic sound (and ozone aroma) from the older items just can't be replicated with the newer items, but both have their strong points to be sure.

In moving forward with my retro layout plan, I'd be curious how some of you manage to operate both analog and digital on the same layout. Independent analog and digital loops? Digital operation issues with M track?

Thanks again everyone!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline dominator  
#15 Posted : 17 January 2018 02:42:25(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I can run both on my layout. 3 separate sections isolated from each other. I have 6-7 blue trannies and 2 MS2's.
On my centre section I have 8 parking lines and can park full trains or even more locos on them,. They are all isolated and some of them have 2-3 different isolated sections on each line. Lots of wiring. When running on digital, all the switches are on and I have fun. When running analogue, most of the switches are off and I have even more fun.
I like the b est of both worlds. The precise running of digital and the ruggedness of the old stuff from the 50's.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Jabez  
#16 Posted : 17 January 2018 23:34:43(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
There's no doubt the running characteristics of the new locomotives are very smooth, compared with their analog predecessors.

The slow speed running and start-up without jerks are what first impressed me about digital, even more than its other features. But Hey, whatever floats your boat.ThumpUp
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez