Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2018 17:34:03(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all,

Happy New Year! I've got hopefully a quick question about layout control s/w, namely whether it it possible, with one occupancy feedback in a block, to have a train entering the block slow down and stop precisely. Right now, I'm looking at purchasing either TrainController or iTrain - I like both but I am a Mac user and iTrain appeals more to me. The TrainController documentation states that only one feedback is necessary, whereas iTrain's indicates that to stop at a precise spot you really need a 2nd sensor. To answer this question, I've done a lot of reading, especially this thread:https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t31129-Layout-control-with-a-software---Tips-and-tricks, but figured I would get an impartial answer from you all.

Thank you in advance for any replies, John

PS - Given limited time and energy, I am going to purchase iTrain or TrainController as opposed to using one of the free packages. I very nice gentleman named Rudy has done a series of very nice videos on TrainController.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Thewolf  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2018 18:07:46(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi John Cool

I am a user of Itrain

The second sensor or contact is not neccessary for the stop of the train. The only one can be enough but it's better to use 2 contacts especially if the canton is long.

For me, in my book, Itrain is equal to Train Controller. Itrain is simple to use and is clearly less expensive

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Roland  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2018 21:08:13(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Hi John,

I recently did a bunch of testing for this same scenario and can confirm Train Controller (silver or gold editions) can accurately and consistently stop trains within a cm of chosen spots in a contact section with just a single current sensor. The speed profile feature in Train Controller really enables this and can be set for each of your unique trains.

Rudy's tutorial videos are great. He actually has one dedicated to this scenario if you'd like to see it in action. I'd highly recommend downloading the TC demo (which is fully functional) and testing it with a small temporary layout. That way you can confirm it has all of the features that you're looking for in train control software.

Cheers
Roland
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Roland
Offline Thewolf  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2018 21:59:15(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi John Cool

With all due respect to Roland, Itrain makes exactly the same job and one of its numerous advantages with its price is that it allows the speed control of every loco. We establish the slowing down of the loco by stages of speed (stop and departure).

The prices of Itrain vary between 99 and 299 Euros for the professional version (150 $ cad and 450 $ cad), the prices of Traincontroller vary between 139 $ US and 649 $ US (175 $ cad and 800 $ cad)

There are videos of demo on You Tube and also a forum Itrain in English, forum which will advise to you (as invited on this forum) to try the free version of demo

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2018 22:11:01(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Since the speed and performance of all locos varies with the running temperature, using a time delay to stop a loco only works when it is at the same temperature at which it was calibrated.

You may spend 20-30 minutes calibrating a loco and next time you come to run it it wont go as far as it is cold.

I always use a an end sensor for the final halt of the train. That sensor in turn acts as the first sensor of the next defined piece of track.

You may want to read this:
https://cabin-layout.blo...11/computer-control.html

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#6 Posted : 06 January 2018 23:37:47(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thank you all for the replies. I have been watching the Rudy videos and for some of them, I've gone back to the iTrain documentation to see if the same functionality exists - and it appears to be so. One interesting difference is that TrainController has a simulation mode; iTrain does not. I agree that the price difference is significant, but I could easily see buying TrainController given that the Rudy videos exist - Rudy does a very good job in those videos and answers many questions a person might have. However, I am one of those "Apple Mac" people and I do like iTrain for that, as well as its simplicity in comparison and that the support from Xander seems to be very prompt. They appear both to be very good programs, however and perhaps the choice comes down to the operating system one prefers, as well as money.

Dale, the point you made addresses what I was really trying to ask but I couldn't come up with the right words; you hit the nail on the head for me. It does appear as if both programs will allow fairly precise stopping with only one feedback, however I see that one also has to include precise measurements of locomotive speed, train length, etc. If one wants to ensure that the train always stops at the station, is the foolproof method to include a 2nd feedback positioned at the station/stopping point? That is really the question I was trying to ask - is it ultimately easier and more foolproof to use 2 feedbacks? And then, one feedback in blocks where precise stopping is not so important? If so, then either program should work fine for that.

Thank you again for the replies - they are all very helpful! This is a complicated thing to figure out for me, but at the same time a lot of fun.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2018 23:40:46(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Oops - also, thank you for the link to the excellent article on digital train control!
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 06 January 2018 23:55:15(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for the replies. I have been watching the Rudy videos and for some of them, I've gone back to the iTrain documentation to see if the same functionality exists - and it appears to be so. One interesting difference is that TrainController has a simulation mode; iTrain does not. I agree that the price difference is significant, but I could easily see buying TrainController given that the Rudy videos exist - Rudy does a very good job in those videos and answers many questions a person might have. However, I am one of those "Apple Mac" people and I do like iTrain for that, as well as its simplicity in comparison and that the support from Xander seems to be very prompt. They appear both to be very good programs, however and perhaps the choice comes down to the operating system one prefers, as well as money.

Dale, the point you made addresses what I was really trying to ask but I couldn't come up with the right words; you hit the nail on the head for me. It does appear as if both programs will allow fairly precise stopping with only one feedback, however I see that one also has to include precise measurements of locomotive speed, train length, etc. If one wants to ensure that the train always stops at the station, is the foolproof method to include a 2nd feedback positioned at the station/stopping point? That is really the question I was trying to ask - is it ultimately easier and more foolproof to use 2 feedbacks? And then, one feedback in blocks where precise stopping is not so important? If so, then either program should work fine for that.

Thank you again for the replies - they are all very helpful! This is a complicated thing to figure out for me, but at the same time a lot of fun.

Cheers, John

John Cool

I am sorry but when you wrote this : ''One interesting difference is that TrainController has a simulation mode; iTrain does not.
You are not right. This is a fake new

Look at this : this is a Itrain's simulation of my prcedent layout ( in french)

Thewolf

Offline Roland  
#9 Posted : 07 January 2018 04:29:50(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
With all due respect to Roland, Itrain makes exactly the same job

I didn't mean to imply that iTrain can not do it ;-). I was merely confirming that TrainController can Smile

If one wants to ensure that the train always stops at the station, is the foolproof method to include a 2nd feedback positioned at the station/stopping point?

Yes, the 2nd feedback sensor would give you that extra assurance it will stop at the exact spot where the 2nd sensor is. But are you referring to stopping at the end of a platform? Or stopping in the middle of a platform, regardless of the length of the train? This was something I wanted to be able to have happen. I have multiple passenger trains of varying lengths and therefore sensors at the exact spot where each should stop (e.g. middle of the platforms) wouldn't be feasible. With TrainController I defined the length of all trains I was testing with, I specified the mid-point of the platform for each of my test sidings (in cm), and TC was able to stop the each train with the middle at the mid-point of the platform using a single sensor.

Again, not saying iTrain can't do this as well Smile. I'll let TheWolf confirm this for us.

In the end, since it is quite a bit of money being spent on this software, IMO it's worth the effort to test both demos before making your decision.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Roland
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#10 Posted : 08 January 2018 03:04:14(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I really thank all of you for providing so much help to me in figuring out what to do. Part of the problem for me, here, is that I'm still new to automatic train control and using feedbacks, and there is so much advice out there that often differs greatly. What I need to do is some experimentation on my own, which I hope to be doing shortly.

I do stand corrected with regard to iTrain and simulations - I didn't realize it had that capability. I've been running iTrain and TrainController on my current layout - I must confess that one of the reasons I like iTrain is because the demo version of TrainController closes the connection to my CS3 after 30 minutes, which can be a real pail in the butt. iTrain allows one to use the full version for a month or so without that sort of restriction.

The Rudy videos and his website are immensely helpful and, to a beginner like me, argue in favor of paying the extra money for TrainController. I note that he is is a proponent of using reed switches in his blocks - only one switch per block, and he also uses calibrated loco speed and train length in his calculations. Most of the advice I read recommends occulency feedbacks, so I can see this will be an interesting issue for me to study.

I've done a fair amount of technical writing in my career, trying to explain technical issues to non-technical readers. I am really impressed with Rudy - he's done a nice job of simplifying things and he's done it all for free!

Thank you again for the help, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2018 04:45:44(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, two sensor points gives you information about which end has a train moving. If it is at the stopping end then the train can be stopped at the right place.

For my longer station tracks, where I may have trains shorter than the maximum length, I add a third detection point. So when a train comes in (and has to stop), if the train is long and needs all the length, it starts slowing on entry, uses the second as a position control and stops at the third. If the train is shorter and would fit better stopping earlier, it stops at the second detection point.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2018 10:14:25(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I really thank all of you for providing so much help to me in figuring out what to do. Part of the problem for me, here, is that I'm still new to automatic train control and using feedbacks, and there is so much advice out there that often differs greatly. What I need to do is some experimentation on my own, which I hope to be doing shortly.

I do stand corrected with regard to iTrain and simulations - I didn't realize it had that capability. I've been running iTrain and TrainController on my current layout - I must confess that one of the reasons I like iTrain is because the demo version of TrainController closes the connection to my CS3 after 30 minutes, which can be a real pail in the butt. iTrain allows one to use the full version for a month or so without that sort of restriction.

The Rudy videos and his website are immensely helpful and, to a beginner like me, argue in favor of paying the extra money for TrainController. I note that he is is a proponent of using reed switches in his blocks - only one switch per block, and he also uses calibrated loco speed and train length in his calculations. Most of the advice I read recommends occulency feedbacks, so I can see this will be an interesting issue for me to study.

I've done a fair amount of technical writing in my career, trying to explain technical issues to non-technical readers. I am really impressed with Rudy - he's done a nice job of simplifying things and he's done it all for free!

Thank you again for the help, John

Hi John,

I have been using TrainController for the past 5 years and very impressed with the functionalities.

However even with an professional software program like this there are limitations, as Dale also has pointed out.

When you profile your engines you also apply an brake compensation as the final step. This is to compensate for the actual momentum of the engine (you may find your loco overshoot or undershoot). Important to note that when applying this compensation it should be done at the same speed as which your loco will enter the block and stop. So the recommendation is to keep a uniform block speed in those block where you want the locos to stop by using a shifted brake/stop marker.

On my layout I use primary 2 sensors (first sensor to start the braking and last sensor to stop the train).

I am not to familiar with Itrain, but it looks also to be a great program. As you are familiar with technical writing I suggest you compare the users manual for both software program? Any software program that has an accompanying well written manual (with examples) generally indicates a well written piece of software. Try and compare an decoder manual from Esu and likewise Marklin and you will notice the difference and knowledge behind (with the former being more comprehensive IMHO).

What I like about train controller is the functionality of flagmans, which can monitor any complex event/situation happening and then trigger any type of operations. You will notice in Rudy's video how he is using that.

Another thing to compare is how frequent software updates and improvement will be made by the companies?

I assume you have check out the train controller forum as well?

Good luck! Computer control is lots of funThumpUp

PS: I assume you are aware that you can operate a second OS (like windows) on an Mac?

PPS: If you are serious about computer control and can see it expanding I would recommend Silver of Gold version if you go for Train Controller. You will soon find that you will be upgrading from Bronze, which has to many limitations.

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2018 22:24:09(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi Lasse,

Thank you for the input. I actually have TrainController running in a Windows 10 VM on my MacBook Pro - and it seems to work just fine (although naturally a little slower) using the home wireless to talk to my CS3. I also tend to judge software quality by the quality of the documentation. I think both products have very good documentation but, as a beginner, TrainController's had more background information that I found to be very helpful. I watched Rudy's video on the flagman feature - I don't think that iTrain has this concept but I may be wrong. Essentially, I think it's raising a flag that, once raised, can only be lowered by a specific event - very interesting, in that one need not worry about a non-occupancy feedback tripping successive times for the same train.

I don't think I would go wrong with either product - but I suspect I'll purchase TrainController primarily because I'm such a beginner and the Rudy video's are well-made and comprehensive. I wish he'd done more for iTrain - he did one or two.

One thing I'm wondering is... did I waste some money on the CS3? With what I've picked up, a CS2 plus iTrain/TrainController/XXX would work just fine. But, hindsight is 20/20 as they say!

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Roland  
#14 Posted : 08 January 2018 22:57:44(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
One thing I'm wondering is... did I waste some money on the CS3? With what I've picked up, a CS2 plus iTrain/TrainController/XXX would work just fine. But, hindsight is 20/20 as they say!

I've wondered the exact same thing after having tested train control software Blushing
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline Thewolf  
#15 Posted : 08 January 2018 23:07:13(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi Lasse,

Thank you for the input. I actually have TrainController running in a Windows 10 VM on my MacBook Pro - and it seems to work just fine (although naturally a little slower) using the home wireless to talk to my CS3. I also tend to judge software quality by the quality of the documentation. I think both products have very good documentation but, as a beginner, TrainController's had more background information that I found to be very helpful. I watched Rudy's video on the flagman feature - I don't think that iTrain has this concept but I may be wrong. Essentially, I think it's raising a flag that, once raised, can only be lowered by a specific event - very interesting, in that one need not worry about a non-occupancy feedback tripping successive times for the same train.

I don't think I would go wrong with either product - but I suspect I'll purchase TrainController primarily because I'm such a beginner and the Rudy video's are well-made and comprehensive. I wish he'd done more for iTrain - he did one or two.

Cheers, John

That it is cs2 or cs3, that it is Itrain, TrainController or a software of the name dezigotozzin, the CS serves only interface

For Itrain windows 10 is not necessary...Even an old man pc with Windows 7 is correct... not need for internet either. I think even that I have a friend which makes Itrain run with Windows 98 ... and without the firewall nor MacAfee

Thewolf
Offline xanderb  
#16 Posted : 14 January 2018 12:44:09(UTC)
xanderb

Netherlands   
Why not simply try iTrain for at least 2 months by registering? You can choose on a block basis how many feedback contacts you want to use. Lots of people only use one feedback per block with iTrain, but don't let the quotes convince you, but please try it yourself before buying anything.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xanderb
Offline Thewolf  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2018 15:01:55(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi Lasse,

Cheers, John

That it is cs2 or cs3, that it is Itrain, TrainController or a software of the name dezigotozzin, the CS serves only interface

For Itrain windows 10 is not necessary...Even an old man pc with Windows 7 is correct... not need for internet either. I think even that I have a friend which makes Itrain run with Windows 98 ... and without the firewall nor MacAfee

Thewolf

Hi all Cool

A little mistake from me...this is not windows 98...but windows 2000...sorry

Thewolf

Offline johnpatrickwack  
#18 Posted : 14 January 2018 19:24:12(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: xanderb Go to Quoted Post
Why not simply try iTrain for at least 2 months by registering? You can choose on a block basis how many feedback contacts you want to use. Lots of people only use one feedback per block with iTrain, but don't let the quotes convince you, but please try it yourself before buying anything.

Actually, I did recently purchase the standard version of iTrain and I am starting to experiment. The other packages I looked at were also very good, but I am a Mac user and iTrain just felt 'right' to me and my eyes. I can also see how others would feel the same way about a different product if they were, say, Windows users. But I liked being able to make the trainboard as big as I wanted with iTrain.

Learning how to digitally control with blocks and feedbacks is challenging to me but also a tremendous amount of fun. :-)

Cheers, John

---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Thewolf  
#19 Posted : 14 January 2018 21:01:10(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: xanderb Go to Quoted Post

Actually, I did recently purchase the standard version of iTrain and I am starting to experiment. The other packages I looked at were also very good, but I am a Mac user and iTrain just felt 'right' to me and my eyes. I can also see how others would feel the same way about a different product if they were, say, Windows users. But I liked being able to make the trainboard as big as I wanted with iTrain.

Learning how to digitally control with blocks and feedbacks is challenging to me but also a tremendous amount of fun. :-)

Cheers, John

Well John BigGrin

Welcome to the family of Itrain

To see you later on the Itrain forum

Thewolf
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:26:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post

I've wondered the exact same thing after having tested train control software Blushing

Indeed. What someone going computer control really needs is just the computer to trackbox interfaces.
For that I'm going to try a BananaPI project with daughter card. For the $100 or so its worth an investigation but requires more hobbyists electronics work than many are wanting to do.

For the plug and go solution there is the CC-Schnitte that gets you a computer interface off of an existing track box for €140, though that doesn't seem to do MFX, only DCC and MM. There are others in that group as well Littfinski, etal - that don't do MFX (aka M4).
Its always the need to do a venn diagram of the decoder protocols your locomotives understand. If they all understood DCC it would be a piece of cake as one could then just revert to DCC for those that are not MFX, but alas...

After I try out this kit solution, I may in the end, end up buying a CS3 if I decide I'd like to use the MFX+ playworld features of the few locomotives that have that capability of an MFX+ decoder.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#21 Posted : 15 January 2018 22:10:23(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I'm not too knowledgeable about the decoder programming capabilities of the PC software packages and at least with iTrain, it varies with price - I purchased the version without it. So, I am glad I do have the CS3 for decoder programming. It sounds like you enjoy the challenge and engineering involved in devising your own approach, and I hope it all works for you.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Thewolf  
#22 Posted : 15 January 2018 23:01:48(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
The version 4 + Itrain allows the decoder programming....only DCC decoders...not MFX Marklin decoders

MFX is a proprietary protocol for which their is no official documentation (the same for Motorola). Programming MFX-decoders is only possible with Märklin devices. DCC is from Lenz, is completely open, standardised and open. It can be used by anyone.

Cheers

Thewolf
Offline gamelinj  
#23 Posted : 11 March 2019 03:47:57(UTC)
gamelinj

Canada   
Bonjour,
Question: What kind of block sensor do you use ?
Entering and exiting canton... current sensor or ???
thank you
I am switching from old DC n train layout... rebuilding a new DCC layout. I will use itrain software (Mac user ;-)
Merci
Offline Danlake  
#24 Posted : 11 March 2019 08:18:02(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hello,

If using 3 rail DCC layout I would recommend occupancy sensors by isolating one of the outer rails and using a S88 feedback module.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline pederbc  
#25 Posted : 11 March 2019 08:43:29(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
I would like to add that the ESU ECoS can program MFX as well. In the ESU world it’s called M4. From what I understand it was ESU that developed the CS1 and the MFX protocol for Märklin.

/Peder
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#26 Posted : 11 March 2019 11:56:39(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: gamelinj Go to Quoted Post
Bonjour,
thank you
I am switching from old DC n train layout... rebuilding a new DCC layout. I will use itrain software (Mac user ;-)
Merci

With iTrain I would use two occupancy feedbacks per block and three in sidings if I want the train to stop at a specific location.

Regarding the ESU controller, I am of two minds. If I were able to do it all over again, I would get the ESU unit and not my CS3. At the same time, all my other hardware modules, M83s, M84s, S88s, L88s, are all Marklin and it was easier on me as a beginner to have everything from the same manufacturer and thus, known to work according to the documentation.

Enjoy working with iTrain! I have come to really enjoy it!

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Thewolf  
#27 Posted : 11 March 2019 13:33:23(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: gamelinj Go to Quoted Post
Bonjour,
thank you
Merci

With iTrain I would use two occupancy feedbacks per block and three in sidings if I want the train to stop at a specific location.

Regarding the ESU controller, I am of two minds. If I were able to do it all over again, I would get the ESU unit and not my CS3. At the same time, all my other hardware modules, M83s, M84s, S88s, L88s, are all Marklin and it was easier on me as a beginner to have everything from the same manufacturer and thus, known to work according to the documentation.

Enjoy working with iTrain! I have come to really enjoy it!

Cheers, John

I add to John's comment that we can add a third occupancy feedback depending on the length of the block

Thewolf