Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2017 07:43:01(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Hello...and Happy Holidays!

I have an Arnold-Rapido N scale layout that uses the 'Stop-Switch' method, basically rail gaps (one rail cut), often between switches for both the main line and sidings, to allow more than one train consist to be on a single line with a single DC controller ('dependent, multi-train operation').

Online, I've seen the Marklin Straight Isolating Track (Marklin 8588) segment that appear to have the same single side rail gap, but comes with a bulky black plastic piece on one side. I can't tell from the online pics, but my guess is that it has electrical connections that allow a segment's power to be controlled by a signal or a toggle switch and that one would need two of them to isolate a particular segment in between.

Question: With these Marklin Z scale track switches, can I just cut one rail at an appropriate location between two switches to achieve the 'stop effect' and not use the 8588 isolating track piece?

Thanks in advance,

Ralph.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2017 10:52:14(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Ralph,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to create isolating sections (after a point/switch). I have done this by simply cutting a gap in the rail or joining one rail using a single isolating fishplate (I used Peco ones) and then bridging the gap with a SPST switch (on/off) to allow power to reach the isolated section.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2017 17:17:17(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ralph,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to create isolating sections (after a point/switch). I have done this by simply cutting a gap in the rail or joining one rail using a single isolating fishplate (I used Peco ones) and then bridging the gap with a SPST switch (on/off) to allow power to reach the isolated section.

Carim

Thanks for the reply, Carim.

Yes, correct, creation of an isolated section after a switch point by just cutting one rail. Just wasn't sure if this was something that could be accomplished when using the Marklin switches since they have this 'Straight Isolating Track' piece (which I'd rather not use for this application).

As I become more familiar with this Marklin Z scale track, I can't help but notice the bulky black plastic coverings that protect the internal mechanisms/electronics. I would assume that most just live with these non-prototypical elements, but I'd like to remove them (or at least reduce their footprints). I've found some info online that shows how to modify switches, decouplers, etc. and I was just wondering how common are these modifications in the Z community?

Ralph.
Offline Richard556  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2018 10:20:15(UTC)
Richard556

New Zealand   
Another alternative is to use insulated rail joiners from the 8954 set to replace a rail joiner on one side of the track to create an insulated section (obviously with a separate wire connected to the track power through a switch) rather than cutting the rail. Richard
Offline Bahner  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2018 22:11:38(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Richard556 Go to Quoted Post
Another alternative is to use insulated rail joiners from the 8954 set to replace a rail joiner on one side of the track to create an insulated section (obviously with a separate wire connected to the track power through a switch) rather than cutting the rail. Richard

Yes, thanks, I can see where that would work, too.

Ralph.