Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2017 05:03:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

I am considering redoing my layout leaving out for the time being the helix so as to have only one level. I will re-attach the helix later on.

For now, I would have an inside Roco oval and an outside Marklin oval.

The outer oval would run clockwise and either go straight or go off to the left and come back in a reverse loop set up.

Problem is, the reverse loop would reverse the direction of the train which would then run counterclockwise without a way to turn it around. I do not have the space to do another reverse loop to make it go back.

To make it go back, I was thinking of using a a double slip switch no 24624 in addition to a normal switch. See picture below.

The normal switch would lead the track onto the double switch. From there, I would do a reverse loop and either go straight out to rejoin the main oval and proceed in the same direction or turn right and return in the opposite direction.

See below rough diagram.

MUDrawing.jpg

Q. 1: Would it work?
This would seem to do the trick; provided that upon return, I have installed beyond the reverse loop another regular switch coming from the other end to meet the train.

Since the double switch seems to incorporate both a crossing at 24 degrees and a 188 curve, I should achieve the desired result.

Q2: Do the double switches work well?

Thank you to anyone who may want to help me. BigGrin

Double slip switch - no 24624 -.jpg
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2017 06:18:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
.......The normal switch would lead the track onto the double switch. From there, I would do a reverse loop and either go straight out to rejoin the main oval and proceed in the same direction or turn right and return in the opposite direction. ....

Hi Silvano,
So long as the C track geometry allowed you to fit these in the Y configuration you show in your digaram, it will work no problem.
Just experiment with bits of C track.
There is also a thread here somewhere on "wye"s. Probably in the C track topic too.

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

Q2: Do the double switches work well?

I have two on my layout, I use them manually (no solenoids) and they work well for me, the engines and rolling stock.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2017 14:32:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I don't like the idea of having a double slip unless it really is the only way to achieve what you want. One layout that we operate on has one and it causes a lot of trouble if the loco is marginal on grip. It doesn't help that it is on a grade and has curves entering and leaving it.

If at all possible use a pair of points. I think you will save some hair pulling from problems.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2017 15:05:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have a double slip and my locos have no problems going over them in any direction. I would note Alan's problems and avoid having one on a gradient. In fact one should avoid having any kind of turnout on a change of gradient.

My only problem with the double slip is that the mechanism is hard work for the turnout motor, and sometimes one of the four branches decides not to switch all the way. This can cause a derailment if it's not noticed in time. If operated manually you won't get this problem.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline blid  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2017 16:29:48(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
If you want it symetrical this is one way of doing it. All R2 exept 4 24912 extra wide radius.
Return loop.JPG
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2017 04:28:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you, everyone, for your great feedback. ThumpUp

I have just finished undoing a big portion of the old layout, helix included, and amplified in a temporary fashion the layout. The space is the same but the way the layout is now, it gives more space to the trains to RUN. BigGrin ThumpUp

Once I am more or less settled with what I have done, I will post some pictures and maybe a video.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Silvano

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2017 04:45:00(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
...In fact one should avoid having any kind of turnout on a change of gradient....

I agree 100% with this statement. In fact, it is a key point in Greenberg's Model Railway book and key to reliable turnout operation.. When Miss 7 and I were doing the second layout, we had awful problems with the turnouts, but when we rehashed the layout to ensure every turnout was on a flat surface and the approaches were a very gentle gradient all our problems with the turnouts went away..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline blid  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2017 12:11:50(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Two more examples. First a condensed version with R2 only.
Return loop R2.JPG
Then, saving more space sideways (varation of example from member Alsterstreek). R2 and 2 24912 wide radius. Note 1: If space alows straights can be added to the ramps (red tracks) to make the sloops less steep. Note 2: It might be placed inside the main loop. Note 3: the reverse loop might be over or under the main line tracks.
Return loop Inv.JPG
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid