Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JDennis  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2017 00:36:43(UTC)
JDennis

United States   
Hi. I have a dumb question. It will not be my last. So, with C-track, the 24088 has receptacles for the mobile station and transformer leads. I don't see any suck track item for K-track. So how do you hook up the power and digital control to k-track? Thanks.
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2017 01:02:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: JDennis Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I have a dumb question. It will not be my last. So, with C-track, the 24088 has receptacles for the mobile station and transformer leads. I don't see any suck track item for K-track. So how do you hook up the power and digital control to k-track? Thanks.

Hi Dennis, welcome.

As our forum headmaster likes to say, the only dumb question is one not asked. BigGrin

I am not aware of a specific K track section to take those connectors, I think you may need to get a C to K adapter track piece and do it that way.

Adapter C-K

https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/24922/

Hope this helps

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2017 01:10:51(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Dennis,

First you can use:

MARKLIN 2290 power feed track. Length 1/1 = 180 mm / 7-3/32“. 2 feeder wires.

(This track is used to connect the B= centre rail and O= outer rail wires from the mobile station. You will have to cut off the connectors and connect the bare wire to the push down connectors on the tracks or make a male connector to mate with the female connectors.)

Or you can solder wires to K track.

Regards,

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline JDennis  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2017 03:11:15(UTC)
JDennis

United States   
Regarding use of 2290 and two wires: The mobile station has like a 10-pin DIN connector and the transformer has a concentric round pin power connector, and each of those plug directly into the 24088. If the K-track feeder section has only two wires, how do you hook the mobile station and transformer power to those two wires? Do you cut the power connector off the transformer? What do you do with the DIN connector on the mobile station?

In case you can't tell, I'm starting from a very basic place changing over to digital.

Thanks.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2017 03:38:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The mobile station has like a 10-pin DIN connector and the transformer has a concentric round pin power connector, and each of those plug directly into the 24088. If the K-track feeder section has only two wires, how do you hook the mobile station and transformer power to those two wires? Do you cut the power connector off the transformer? What do you do with the DIN connector on the mobile station?

Easy, take a red wire off the B tab on the back of your 24088, and a brown wire off the 0 tab. Connect those to your 2290 K track feeder piece. A bit string and chewing gum approach, but it will work.

The 60115 connection box was intended for use with a Mobile Station 1 and K track, but might be a bit hard to come by now.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline JDennis  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2017 03:52:18(UTC)
JDennis

United States   
That actually makes sense. Remarkable that they don't just make a more elegant solution than that though. Any idea what's inside (schematically speaking) that little box on the side of 24088? Seems would be easy enough to make something if you knew what was in there and how it all hooked up. Thanks.
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 23 November 2017 05:52:42(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
That actually makes sense. Remarkable that they don't just make a more elegant solution than that though. Any idea what's inside (schematically speaking) that little box on the side of 24088? Seems would be easy enough to make something if you knew what was in there and how it all hooked up. Thanks.

I have a start set with the same connection and did exactly that to hook up to my own K-track layout, worked fine if a bit kludgy.

I didn't suggest this because it was unclear from your first post exactly what you have.

So just to confirm, you already have some C-track including the 24088 section and you have some K-track as well?

If so, just pop the cover off the bottom of the 24088 and you can see the PCB, but I suggest it would be cheaper, quicker and more reliable just to canabilise a 24088.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 23 November 2017 06:15:45(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Denis:

You could use unit 60115 for a less "chewing gum" approach (but still a great solution to your problem). It does not cost very much, around US$25.00. This unit accepts the MS1 output and gives you as outputs the red an brown wires you then attach to the track as explained above. Works very well.

Do you have the MS1 instruction booklet? If not I can post it here.

It is important to note that FX locos are a bit hard to configure with an MS1. Here are the instructions I got from Mike here (the local Marklin dealer) on point. I believe these came straight from Marklin.

Mobile Station programming - for 2006 and on Starter Sets -.doc (81kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

I expect that all locos built after 2006 will have to be configured as per above instructions.

Please show us a picture or two of your layout; we are all curious here. BigGrin

Silvano
Offline JDennis  
#9 Posted : 23 November 2017 07:29:21(UTC)
JDennis

United States   
Thanks Guys,

Yes, exactly correct. Picked up a digital starter train set a while back with C-track, a 60652 MS, and too small a power pack (which will quickly get replaced with a bigger transformer). Also have a fair amount of additional C-track. And yes, I also have a boat-load of K-track (plus a bunch of M, some of which even has the center rail). I agree that cannibalizing a 24088 is a good solution. Eventually, I'm sure whatever I end up building is going to include both C and K, so this may not be much of an issue. We'll see.

I'd love to post a few pictures of my layout -- if I actually had anything respectable set up. Right now I'm just throwing together something pretty basic so that a) the Harry Potter train can run around the X-mas decorations; b) I can start learning about the mysteries of digital; and c) I have a place to test and run my various locomotives as I convert them to digital. (I have several that were digital when I bought them and have just been sitting in their boxes until now, but several more old ones that I'm converting.) Not planning to start on a real layout for quite a while.

And on the subject of converting locomotives, I suppose this is going to be a "which is better: Ford or Chevy?" question, BUT do most folks use Marklin decoders, or other alternatives (e.g., ESU LokSound)?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JDennis