Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2017 20:31:40(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all - apologies if this has been dealt with before - my searches didn't turn up anything.

Does there exist a screen saver for the CS3? Or, something that will dim the screen after a certain amount of inactivity? Sometimes I'll have mine operating for several hours and I'd rather see the screen go blank or a screen saver start up. I do know it's possible to dim the screen, but I was hoping for something that wold just turn on after 20-30 minutes.

Thank you in advance for any replies
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2017 00:21:21(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Screen savers were used to prevent image burn on old CRT monitors, which is no longer an issue with LCD.
Also, the power usage of the display of that size would be minimal.
This is why you are unlikely to find a screen saver for a CS3.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2017 07:49:38(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Screen savers were used to prevent image burn on old CRT monitors, which is no longer an issue with LCD.
It is an issue with some types of displays (e.g. OLED types). I think the current iPhone has burn-in problems, but LCDs should be immune.

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Also, the power usage of the display of that size would be minimal.
It could be that an "all white" display consumes less power than an "all black" display.
Dimming the backlight would reduce the power consumption.

Unless someone cracks the root password, such a screen-saver would have to come from Märklin. So it's best to contact Märklin about that idea.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2017 12:29:46(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thank you both for the responses and I think you’re both correct. I just like to see a screensaver even if it’s no longer really so necessary, and some LCD displays occasionally do have burn-out issues in which certain pixels no longer function, my television set for example (but I think shoddy workmanship was a factor there).

Contacting Märklin for these sorts of issues is the sort of good idea that should be obvious to me but I never think of it. Do you know of a good email address to use that will get to the right people?

Thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2017 15:10:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Thank you both for the responses and I think you’re both correct. I just like to see a screensaver even if it’s no longer really so necessary, and some LCD displays occasionally do have burn-out issues in which certain pixels no longer function, my television set for example (but I think shoddy workmanship was a factor there).

Contacting Märklin for these sorts of issues is the sort of good idea that should be obvious to me but I never think of it. Do you know of a good email address to use that will get to the right people?

Thank you, John

failure of pixels on an LCD screen will not be stopped by a screen saver. Even when the screen is dimmed the LCD is still as active as ever. The actual light is provided by separate LEDs that can be turned off or dimmed to vary the screen brightness. OLED screens are different in that each pixel is its own LED, which is why they have a significantly brighter screen, but are also significantly more expensive to manufacture, which is why they haven't got a deeper market penetration.

There are some TV sets that have LEDs lighting only part of the screen, and have clever electronics that recognizes when their area of the screen is dark and turn down the backlight brightness to achieve higher contrast ratios and "deep black" areas on the screen, but this technique is only valid for large screen TVs.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan