Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2017 16:11:19(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I am considering a Christmas project of major track works to my layout in C track – subject to approval by management.

I am totally puzzled by track pricing. To me a length of straight track it a pair of rail joiners and wire connectors separated a by a variable length of track section

So Marklin RRP is as follows:

24064 4.29 Euros
24077 & 94 3.49 Euros
24172 2.99 Euros
24188 2.99 Euros
24229 & 236 4.49 Euros
24360 5.99 Euros

To me those prices don’t make sense

OK so we all buy our track from the “usual suspects” of which representative pricing is as follows:

24064 2.99 Euros
24077 & 94 2.49 Euros
24172 1.89 Euros
24188 2.09 Euros
24229 & 236 3.19 Euros
24360 4.19 Euros

Obviously “better” but to me even more illogical than the RRP

So where one of those gaps between two turnouts has to me only one solution of 4 x24077 that’s 10 Euros for a fairly small length.

Any comment, explanation or even better secret source of solution!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2017 16:28:50(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I can only speculate.

24172 and 24188 are used for many starter sets and they probably are the most frequently pieces of straight C track. Large production runs, good return of investments in moulds and such.
I guess they sell many more 24077 and 24094 than they sell 24064. I think this justifies a higher price for the 24064, but the difference of the RRPs seems too big IMHO.

24064 are typically used with the large radii - and prices for curved track with large radii also seem a bit out of proportion.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2017 17:30:02(UTC)
MaerklinLife

The length of the track does not really matter that much because we are talking about track with a built-in road bed.

I believe the cost of designing a small track piece is about the same as a longer one. The design of the mold and time spent is about the same because every track is basically a unique model. You can't just extend the length at a lesser price when producing the track. Most track with built-in roadbed come at high prices, e.g. the Roco GeoLine track has a similar price structure. Also the smaller pieces do not sell in as many quantities as the longer ones this will probably also keep their price high. I think the same goes for the larger radii.

The 24360 is a 188 and 172 permanently tied together. The RRP is nearly the double of the two, no savings, just a connection less in your track plan. That is the purpose of that track. I normally do not use the 24360 because I prefer to have the option to separate the 188 and 172.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
MrB32  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2017 21:09:33(UTC)

I'll be more cynical...

You only buy a small piece of track when you absolutely need it, so in those circumstances you accept a higher price if it means you can complete your layout... They noticed that and priced accordingly...

Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2017 22:17:21(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
I'll be more cynical...

You only buy a small piece of track when you absolutely need it, so in those circumstances you accept a higher price if it means you can complete your layout... They noticed that and priced accordingly...

I agree totally and being even more cynical if you look through Marklin publications with C track plans and the likes of Noch trackplans for their preformed boards they are full of 064 and 077's where with just a little bit of thought and adjustment the same layouts can be achieved much more economically whereas many people will just take the parts list given ands order them
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2017 22:47:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
[...] and the likes of Noch trackplans for their preformed boards they are full of 064 and 077's where with just a little bit of thought and adjustment the same layouts can be achieved much more economically
Maybe that's a feature, not a bug: many folks prefer several small pieces at spots where the incline changes. Trains will run less smooth with fewer longer pieces of track.
Preformed layouts often have steep inclines and transitions occur during short lengths.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2017 23:27:00(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I expect on these things the turnover (sales rate per month or year ) is the determining cost of a track piece, not the material costs that go into the part itself.
This is because he production run cost (distributed over the batch), logistics and storage (floor space, building/electric costs etc) at distribution, dealers etc are much more of an impact on the cost for the volume sold, than the cost of the plastic and metal in it.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2017 00:11:22(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I expect on these things the turnover (sales rate per month or year ) is the determining cost of a track piece, not the material costs that go into the part itself.
This is because he production run cost (distributed over the batch), logistics and storage (floor space, building/electric costs etc) at distribution, dealers etc are much more of an impact on the cost for the volume sold, than the cost of the plastic and metal in it.

Whilst I agree the simple matter of supply and demand would overide most of what you say

For example if they adjusted the price of 24077 and 24094 suitably downwards the demand would increase exponetially as you can do anything and more with these two than you can with 24172 and 24188. Equally at the other end if they gave "a discount" on 24360 over 24172 plus 24188 then again they could look to sell a lot more.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2017 08:12:55(UTC)
H0

For example if they adjusted the price of 24077 and 24094 suitably downwards the demand would increase exponetially as you can do anything and more with these two than you can with 24172 and 24188.
The 24360 is a real time-saver for temporary layouts (club meetings and such). Longer pieces of track give better electric transmission (fewer joiners).

To some extent their prices are self-fulfilling prophecies: if they expect large sales and make the track pieces cheaper then they will get larger sales than they would at higher prices.
But longer pieces still require less effort in WinTrack and less effort when laying the tracks. Even if a pair of 077 and 094 was the same price as a 172, I would still prefer the 172 and wouldn't buy more 077 or 094 than I did in the past.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2017 08:32:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

My opinion, but I believe you to be correct Thomas.

The cost of production of each piece is the same, because each segment of track is made of the same number of parts, regardless of length.
And the labour involved in assembly (even if using jigs and presses) is the same for each piece.
1. 3 sets of sprung s/s clips at each end.
2. 1 length of steel puko
3. 2 running rails.

The only real production difference occurs between straight and curved track, where a bending machine is required.
The other factors determine the final price.

Generally in my experience, raising or lowering prices on articles in a limited market space ( model trains is a good example ) does not necessarily have an impact on quantities sold.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2017 09:54:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
The cost of production of each piece is the same, because each segment of track is made of the same number of parts, regardless of length.
Exceptions are 24071 (not listed in first post, RRP € 4.29) and 24360 - both require more parts.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
MrB32  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2017 15:17:33(UTC)

This is all intellectual self gratification (to be polite...).

Looking at the balance sheet, we have a company that:
- keeps very little stock
- produces quasi on demand
- doesn't have real distribution costs (the dealers bear that cost)
- gets paid upfront on anything they do.
- barely brakes even, but their accounts include 20 million euros investments in improving their production and a new museum.

Where is please the reason for the price difference of an item that doesn't require more effort to produce, store and sell than another?

It is clear you won't build a layout out of 24064s, as you only use these tracks if you are venturing beyond the starter set, this is where you as a customer start being asked to the till, because you cannot complete your project without these tracks. The track system is engineered this way. The pricing is a pure policy thing, and is only very remotely based on the laws of demand and offer, but more on the NEED or perceived ADDED VALUE.
We could start another thread on the dismantling of the turnout design of the good old M-track days so you now have to buy a turnout and a motor separately.

Cynical as I am, I can't blame Märklin for increasing their profit margin on those items, this is a good business model, I would do the same in their position. After all, I still expect innovation and quality from them, and i want them to be around for another few years...
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 16 November 2017 15:55:51(UTC)
H0

Where is please the reason for the price difference of an item that doesn't require more effort to produce, store and sell than another?
Each new item has one-time costs like mould and box.
Each production run has one-time costs like mounting the mould and heating it up or ordering a new batch of boxes (price varies by quantity ordered).
Larger production runs allow spreading those one-time costs onto a larger number of produced items.

For best-selling track pieces they have less financial effort per piece than for worst-selling track pieces.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
MrB32  
#14 Posted : 16 November 2017 16:32:04(UTC)

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Each production run has one-time costs like mounting the mould and heating it up or ordering a new batch of boxes (price varies by quantity ordered).
Larger production runs allow spreading those one-time costs onto a larger number of produced items.

For best-selling track pieces they have less financial effort per piece than for worst-selling track pieces.

With all due respect, the differences we are talking about from a production cost perspective are cents, not euros.

1) We are not talking about new production items... This items have been in production since late 20th century, mould production costs should be right down by now, whatever the items. Additionally, Marklin has spare capacity in their factories, so they are losing money if they are not producing.
2) The production costs are the same at worst, if anything, they should be lower for shorter pieces, as the raw materials used are less.
3) Sure but not applicable here, as the system doesn't revolve around what sells best, but around producing what is needed on time. If they were calculating this way, the prices would change for each production batch, this is not the case.

This was my last post on the topic.... I don't want to dig out my MBA books and start teaching :)

Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 16 November 2017 16:52:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Generally in my experience, raising or lowering prices on articles in a limited market space ( model trains is a good example ) does not necessarily have an impact on quantities sold.

Kimball

Agreed. Lowering the price only increases sales if there is an alternative product that is competing on price. But there isn't a competing part - so buyers only have one choice given they already started the layout with C-track. The entire system price could drive potential customers to other track systems such as K or if the price is higher there then out of Märklin entirely. The product is price inelastic.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 16 November 2017 17:06:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Additionally, Marklin has spare capacity in their factories, so they are losing money if they are not producing.

I would not expect Märklin to have its own factory. It for them to use part of a factory's capacity where that factory creates product parts for many manufacturers. Are you sure they have their own wholly owned factory that does nothing else but make train parts for them?

---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 16 November 2017 17:11:35(UTC)
H0

Are you sure they have their own wholly owned factory that does nothing else but make train parts for them?
Yes. In Germany and in Hungary.
I just don't know what they make and what is bought from third parties. Sometimes forum members, mainly from the US, document "Made in China" stickers on rolling stock ...

They make their own C track beds, but I suspect the rails come from another company - but maybe they buy steel wire and form the rails themselves.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 16 November 2017 17:48:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

With all due respect, the differences we are talking about from a production cost perspective are cents, not euros.

1) We are not talking about new production items... This items have been in production since late 20th century, mould production costs should be right down by now, whatever the items. Additionally, Marklin has spare capacity in their factories, so they are losing money if they are not producing.
2) The production costs are the same at worst, if anything, they should be lower for shorter pieces, as the raw materials used are less.
3) Sure but not applicable here, as the system doesn't revolve around what sells best, but around producing what is needed on time. If they were calculating this way, the prices would change for each production batch, this is not the case.

This was my last post on the topic.... I don't want to dig out my MBA books and start teaching :)

1. Your MBA should tell you that the machine downtime to change between production items is not insignificant. For a machine producing one track item to be changed to another track item I would suggest would need probably a full day to remove the previous mold, fit the new mold, run some test pieces and get them approved by QA. That would be two machines for a track piece, one to do the plastic and one to cut the rails. There may also need to be changes to the machine that fits the bits together and connects the contacts to the rails underneath, but I could envisage this could be a standard setup for all track pieces. For a machine to produce 24066 pieces it would probably run for a week to produce enough stock to last 6-12 months ... then it needs the downtime to change to the next item ...

2. yes the production materials cost is less, and the material is common to a significant number of similar items (i.e. the whole C track range) but see my notes above about how long the machine will run to produce these pieces. That machine downtime is what costs.

3. the size of a production batch will revolve around what is selling, again see my answer to your point 1. Some items will have dedicated machines and be producing the same item for months at a time until the mold wears out and needs replacing because those are the common track items going into start sets and sell as stock items in large quantities, while other machines will cycle around items that sell in much smaller volumes, but produce stock that sits in the warehouse. Your MBA will tell you that there is an optimisation to this cycle, and the resultant sizes of batches versus the amount of stock in the warehouse, and this is why sometimes some of these smaller run items go out of stock for a period. Between the machine downtime costs and warehouse stocking costs for some items this will produce the sort of price differences that are being discussed.

Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 16 November 2017 17:50:40(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Are you sure they have their own wholly owned factory that does nothing else but make train parts for them?
Yes. In Germany and in Hungary.
I just don't know what they make and what is bought from third parties. Sometimes forum members, mainly from the US, document "Made in China" stickers on rolling stock ...

They make their own C track beds, but I suspect the rails come from another company - but maybe they buy steel wire and form the rails themselves.

For locomotives and other high value items that are intricate sure, make them at your own factories to control the quality and supply chain as much as possible. But I'd think getting simple things like track to be made at factories that make track and similar simple things for many brands would be more economical. If it's the same factory in Germany and Hungary that they make locos and rolling stock in then they would be making something at all times I expect, and they just schedule a new batch if track when the stock gets low. I don't expect them to have the factory offline.

Edited by user 16 November 2017 21:19:38(UTC)  | Reason: clarifiy my post now that I have a real keyboard available

---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 16 November 2017 22:08:04(UTC)
H0

I don't expect them to have the factory offline.
Maybe the same machines make beer cars or banana cars when not needed for C track.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 16 November 2017 22:22:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I don't expect them to have the factory offline.
Maybe the same machines make beer cars or banana cars when not needed for C track.

Could be. The machines themselves just need different molds and templates put in them to switch to producing something else. I'd be surprised if they had dedicated machines that can only make C-track that take up substantial floor space. But I don't know whats involved - never saw it.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 16 November 2017 23:27:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
.......Where is please the reason for the price difference of an item that doesn't require more effort to produce, store and sell than another?

You answered yourself ..... profit.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#23 Posted : 17 November 2017 05:45:11(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Of course it is profit. Profit and the fact that we have no choice and Märklin has no relevant competition. Sure one could buy PECO track with the third rail inlay, that solution is definitely not for everyone. I do not consider PECO or DIY to be real competition.

Basically: No competition.

I did some research and C track layouts (track only, Trix and Märklin) are around twice the price of a 2 rail flex track layout (track only, Rocoline no ballast). Isn't this just part of what one should just accept? I mean, unless you have a huge (really huge) layout where you rebuild all the time, the price difference is still just a small amount of the total investment and eventually you will have the track you need and not buy that much more.

Märklin is not a charity, there is no way they will lower the prices, and if they did, we probably would not buy more track anyway. Accept the prices of the track, it is part of the choice you made when going with Märklin and it will probably never change. The locos are often more expensive too. If you cannot accept it, there is also the choice of going 2 rail.

At the end of the day there is no real fun in having to worry about stuff you cannot do anything about.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Rwill  
#24 Posted : 17 November 2017 09:52:20(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Let me clarify where I was coming from on this topic.

I am a great fan of Marklin C track for its quality, ease of use and re-use and …………….. price. Using the standard lengths and R1 and R2 curves I find the pricing especially at the readily available discounts to be very reasonable. However, I became alarmed after a session of track planning at the impact on the total project cost of the short pieces. With hindsight after a few head scratching hours and some basic lightbulb moments (like 172 plus 64 equals 236!) I have reworked and significantly reduced the expensive bits.

The uniqueness of three rail appears to have nothing to do with the pricing strategy – after all the RRP of Trix 62xxx track is broadly similar and because of volumes sold more expensive from the discounters. Other quality ballast formed HO track is similar in price and in some cases more expensive.

Sometimes on this forum my lifetime background in commercial management in the transport industry lets me down. Compared to the IT, engineering and manufacturing experience demonstrated regularly on here I am somewhat naïve. I had this unthought through vision of a man sitting at a bench with a pallet of long pieces of moulded c track and a number of simple jigs so he could cut quantities of the various lengths “to order” then the person at the next bench fitting the end bits. Having now looked at a piece of C track I realise how wrong I was and that each size appears to have its own mould. I’ll stop there before I say anything more foolish that can be corrected.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
MrB32  
#25 Posted : 17 November 2017 10:06:11(UTC)

Participating in a forum is not a competition, it is about expressing opinions and exchanging ideas, you shouldn't be afraid to say anything. If you look at this thread, everyone agrees, but are putting more emphasis on one point or another. If anything, you question might have helped some people understanding our Marklin friends a bit more. Thanks for posting on here.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#26 Posted : 17 November 2017 11:15:37(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
..... I’ll stop there before I say anything more foolish that can be corrected.

Hi R,

Thank you for your prescience and candor.

I regularly contribute to public opinions on places like the NY Times and The Guardian.
I too feel foolish at times at what I have said, but after contemplation of the resultant criticisms and barbs, I actually feel emboldened and envigorated.
One, because I have contributed a view to the debate that is different.
And two because I go away having learnt something new.

As our webmaster says in his footnote, He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes.
He who does NOT ask a question, is a fool for life.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Minok  
#27 Posted : 17 November 2017 22:11:56(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Please do continue to ask questions and probe. This was a great thread, and a simple thought got a bunch of us discussing various aspects of the manufacturing and pricing system. I'd say it is quite likely that everyone learned a little bit of something, even if they just relearned something they had known and forgotten. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
---
My YouTube Channel: