Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Keelerstein  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2017 00:21:12(UTC)
Keelerstein

United Kingdom   
Hi everyone, I am searching for companies or individuals who provide a service converting 2 rail DC locos to run on Marklin digital 3 rail AC. Preferably in the U.K. But I am more than happy to deal abroad,
Any recommendations would be very welcome.
Many thanks, Steve.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2017 18:31:14(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi Steve, I did quite a few 2 rail to Marklin conversions myself.
It isn't too diffcult.
The easiest way is to mount electric conducting couplers on the loco and on a Marklin goods / passenger wagon that has internal lighting to transfer power to the loco. This avoids all the hassle of 'damaging' the 2 rail loco.
Only some resoldering needs to be done.
HTH
Marco
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2017 17:09:26(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Keelerstein Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, I am searching for companies or individuals who provide a service converting 2 rail DC locos to run on Marklin digital 3 rail AC. Preferably in the U.K. But I am more than happy to deal abroad,
Any recommendations would be very welcome.
Many thanks, Steve.

hi!
It would definitely help if you'd give us a few specifics on the model(s) you'd be interest to convert.
I have converted literally hundreds of locos, most are easy, some are a little more complex.
Most old Hornby OO and subsequent productions were easy as there was quitte a lot of clearance everywhere.
For some , it's just a matter of installing a pick up, eventually adjusting the wheels' spacing (yes 3 rail Märklin **is** different!) and rewiring with addition of the decoder.

Some more complex ones require a fair dose of machining (Lathe, Milling machine) : older Kato locomotives for example have no space for decoders and their wiring, requiring complete disassembly and machining of the chassis. There is no room eith under the bogies for the pick up shoe, requiring to disable one of the bogies, then machining the wheels on the remaining bogie to add traction tyres and compensate for the loss of traction .

Extreme cases are locos on the NMRA standards, as the flanges on most of them are often totally allergic to Märklin tracks and new wheels need to be installed...if you can find them.

The hardest of all are the premium brass collector brands like Fulgurex, Lemaco, Metropolitan, Key Import, Tenshodo etc. which are often extremely delicate.
And since they are more than seldom relatively poor runners, I usually try to stay away from these as the effort/reward ratio is not very favourable IMHO

If you have specifics, I probably have pictures of a similar conversion performed in the past so you can judge by yourself what's involved.

Hope this gives you a feel for what's ahead...Wink

Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr. Eisenbahn
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye