Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeFu  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2017 23:16:53(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I’m looking at track sections and how to use boosters to secure power. I have a CS2. The Märklin homepage says the following re. the 60175 booster:

When using the 60061 switched mode power pack there is a maximum power output of 58 VA and a maximum current of 3 amps (with 60216, 60226 or 60215 with the 60101 switched mode power pack there is a maximum current of 5 amps, recommended only for 1 Gauge.

Some questions arise:

(1) Is anyone of you running the 60174 or 60175 booster with 5 amps on H0 Gauge? Experience on that? What risks are there?

(2) Is anyone of you running any alternative to the Märklin boosters? I’m e.g. interested in the Littfinski booster described on https://www.ldt-infocent...wiki/doku.php?id=en:db-4 deriving 4.5 amps.

Confused

Edited by user 25 October 2017 20:22:30(UTC)  | Reason: Added content.

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2017 00:35:35(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I noticed that Littfinski promotes 4.5 amps on H0 Gauge:

LDT
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2017 07:39:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
(1) Is anyone of you running the 60174 or 60175 booster with 5 amps on H0 Gauge? Experience on that? What risks are there?

I run my 60174 boosters with ESU 90va power supplies, and I've not had any trouble with that configuration. Marklin recommend that your feeder track wires are a minimum of 0.75mm2 size, so that the boosters can properly differentiate between high current draw from a load, and high current draw from a short. You want the boosters to keep going for the former and go into stop mode for the latter. I've gone around my layout and upgraded feeder track wire size and also have included extra feeder wires.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2017 20:30:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'd keep the current capacity limited for H0 gauge to the 3.5A range, and use more booster sections instead - because at 5A when you get an unintentional short, that short can cause enough current in arcing that damages H0 material.

Edited by user 12 November 2017 23:18:58(UTC)  | Reason: Corrected to unintentional short

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2017 20:42:04(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I noticed that Littfinski promotes 4.5 amps on H0 Gauge

And most US DCC systems promotes similiar for HO scale 3-5 amps.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2017 12:54:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I'd keep the current capacity limited for H0 gauge to the 3.5A range, and use more booster sections instead - because at 5A when you get an intentional short, that short can cause enough current in arcing that damages H0 material.

Hi

I use 5 amps on my HO layout since when the PS 60101 was available (8 years?) without having any component damaged.
Marklin position is about the fire risk issue if power cabling is not strong enough.
Current short circuit detection is excellent as they cut the power immediately and for a few seconds test if the short has disappeared
Cheers

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline PeFu  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2017 22:38:37(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
I'd keep the current capacity limited for H0 gauge to the 3.5A range, and use more booster sections instead - because at 5A when you get an intentional short, that short can cause enough current in arcing that damages H0 material.

Hi

I use 5 amps on my HO layout since when the PS 60101 was available (8 years?) without having any component damaged.
Marklin position is about the fire risk issue if power cabling is not strong enough.
Current short circuit detection is excellent as they cut the power immediately and for a few seconds test if the short has disappeared
Cheers

Jean

Hi,

What booster are you using?

Cool

Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2017 23:23:20(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Cheers

Jean

Yeah the wiring is a problem but is easily addressed as most folks use wires much thinker than needed.

The arc damage on unintentional shorts cannot be eliminated by the controller because the station cannot detect the short until the arc has already happened. If read that such higher current arcs 5A) are enough to cause some small amount of damage to the metal wheels from the arc. Just what I've read from others.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2017 11:35:23(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi

Cheers

Jean

Hi,

What booster are you using?

Cool

Hi PeFu
I use the one Inside the 60215 and I am conviced that the output electronics and management software is identical to present 60174. and probably 60175.
Cheers
Jean