Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FV1974  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2017 22:28:10(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   

When I was a teenager I had a large Marklin train set. I stopped playing with it when I went to university. Now, 25 years later, I discovered a box full of Marklin equipment on my parents' attic. Having two children with interest in trains, I am keen to set it up again and start building a small model landscape. My train set is HO and uses I believe M tracks.

I have a few questions:
1. since my stock hasn't moved for a long time, should I oil the engines and wheels? If so, can you point me to any tips and guidance on where to apply the oil and what type of oil? I am a real novice when it comes to electrics!

2. To what extent can I extent my M tracks with current Marklin products? Can I connect to C tracks for instance? I am keen to buy a start up kit for my 12 year old daughter and she likes the ICE C track kit.

3. Can my stock work on C track?

4. Are there any UK based retailers? When I search on their website I can't locate any?

5. Can my stock be converted to DCC and if so, what is likely the cost as well as any UK locations where this can get done.

Any other useful websites or forum articles you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frederic
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by FV1974
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2017 02:11:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: FV1974 Go to Quoted Post

..My train set is HO and uses I believe M tracks.
I have a few questions:
...Thanks

Frederic

Hi Fredric,
Firstly you would be well served if you can get a full current issue (or even a couple of years old) Marklin catalogue, which runs to arounf 450 paages.

1. since my stock hasn't moved for a long time, should I oil the engines and wheels? If so, can you point me to any tips and guidance on where to apply the oil and what type of oil? I am a real novice when it comes to electrics! Others might answer that

2. To what extent can I extent my M tracks ... Perfectly adaptable, use part number 24951 adaptor track for M to C track.

3. Can my stock work on C track? Yes.

4. Are there any UK based retailers? When I search on their website I can't locate any? Others might answer that

5. Can my stock be converted to DCC and if so, what is likely the cost as well as any UK locations where this can get done. Called digital in Marklin speak. It can be adapted (depending on models) but may be more economic to purchase digital starter sets.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
MrB32  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2017 02:34:57(UTC)

Hi,

welcome

There are quite a few topics here:

1) For the servicing, Martin, a member of this forum did a video,
It covers the basics.
2) You can connect your M-track to C-track using the 24951 C to M track.
3) Your stock will run on C-track, it is the same scale and power feed system. As you are talking about conversion, I am assuming you have blue transformers and analogue locomotives. Digital locomotives will run in analogue mode, but you have to pay particular attention to the type of transformer you have. Very old blue transformer (for example Marklin Super) can damage the digital components of newer models, best is to replace such unit with a white unit (reference 6647).
4) The main distributor in the UK is Gaugemaster, and they are keeping the prices high for the whole UK market. Most of us buy our stuff directly from Germany, either by Marklin themselves, or retailers like Lippe, Kramm, Lokshop or Lokmuseum to name a few. There is of course also Ebay...
5) Most analogue locomotives can be converted to Digital, I cannot recommend anyone as I do this myself. I am sure other members will be able to recommend someone.

Hope this helps, have fun!
Offline Kapalua  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2017 13:43:45(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

welcome

There are quite a few topics here:

1) For the servicing, Martin, a member of this forum did a video,
It covers the basics.
2) You can connect your M-track to C-track using the 24951 C to M track.
3) Your stock will run on C-track, it is the same scale and power feed system. As you are talking about conversion, I am assuming you have blue transformers and analogue locomotives. Digital locomotives will run in analogue mode, but you have to pay particular attention to the type of transformer you have. Very old blue transformer (for example Marklin Super) can damage the digital components of newer models, best is to replace such unit with a white unit (reference 6647).
4) The main distributor in the UK is Gaugemaster, and they are keeping the prices high for the whole UK market. Most of us buy our stuff directly from Germany, either by Marklin themselves, or retailers like Lippe, Kramm, Lokshop or Lokmuseum to name a few. There is of course also Ebay...
5) Most analogue locomotives can be converted to Digital, I cannot recommend anyone as I do this myself. I am sure other members will be able to recommend someone.

Hope this helps, have fun!

I bought many times from Gaugmaster, primarily because they often have Marklin stock that are sold out elsewhere but yes they are on the expensive side but they always seem to have some Marklin Locomotive, wagons and coaches on Sale.
Mostly I buy through eBay both new and used and on occasions, directly from Marklin and Roco's official website.

If your Locomotive have been stowed away for many years, I say try and see how they run before applying oil. If they squeek, then apply oil sparingly.
My 70s set which I had not run for about 15 years, ran fine when I took them down from the attic but I guess it all depends how well they were stored and in my case, cool and dry.
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2017 13:53:12(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I'm in agreement with the previous replies. Here's some unasked-for advice since I've done essentially the same thing you're contemplating and would do some things differently if I could. My old Marklin set was passed on to me in the early 60's and has some rare equipment and houses in great shape, and I decided to make a larger layout, about 4 by 8 feet, and stick with M track. I ended up buying lots of replacement track and switches and catenary from eBay, and looking back I didn't spend much less than if I'd started fresh with M track. If you're into catenary, which I think looks great and really improves a layout, some of the parts are very hard to come by and not cheap in price.

In part due to some elevated sections of track, I had a lot of issues with derailments - I also had a number of problematic switches as I was trying to fit as much as I could into a limited space. I know there are some people who do stick with M track and they make it work, but I don't think you'll spend a whole lot less by adding C track into the layout. I practically never have derailments or power issues, and it is a much nicer-looking track, again in my opinion. The newer catenary is better looking, but I've mixed it in with some of the older stuff here and there.

One other piece of unasked-for advice - I was tempted to sell my old equipment so as to finance the new stuff or convert it to digital, and I'm glad I didn't. I have a 1955 TT800 loco that runs like a dream and some same-era Faller houses, and they fit in nicely with the new M track layout. The TT800 is probably worth $500-$800 US, and it won't run unless I switch the power to analog, which I never do because analog gets old pretty quickly for me once I experienced using digital. The TT800 will run fine around the Xmas tree using my M track, however. I did convert over a 1970's loco that is commonly sold on eBay and not worth that much.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline TrainIride  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2017 17:51:32(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi Frederic

Welcome to this forum.

Take your time to rediscover all the models you have in this magical box.
You will find everything there for the servicing of your trains.
All the notices and almost all the spare parts are still availables somewhere.

Before converting to This or That, you could be happy to see that your trains are still running well.
Then , you will be able, to know what to do with them...

Best Regards
Joël

Offline FV1974  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2017 18:12:37(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Thank you all for all the good advice and tips. So much to take in and read up about. I ran my trains last night and 3 out of the 4 work well but my switching rails (to change directions) are not working anymore with my exchange boxes. Not sure why. I have also a Marklin direct box which allows controlling several trains at the same time. But only two seem to work with it. I guess I better refresh my memory how that worked.
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2017 20:45:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

..My train set is HO and uses I believe M tracks.
I have a few questions:
...Thanks

Frederic

Hi Fredric,
Firstly you would be well served if you can get a full current issue (or even a couple of years old) Marklin catalogue, which runs to arounf 450 paages.

1. since my stock hasn't moved for a long time, should I oil the engines and wheels? If so, can you point me to any tips and guidance on where to apply the oil and what type of oil? I am a real novice when it comes to electrics! Others might answer that

If they were stored well (not in dirty and damp conditions) - the oils and greases should have maintained things without issue. You can try running the locos and if there are non-smooth low speed running, then pulling apart the loco, cleaning out the old grease/oil and reapplying only the small amount of oil/grease required. Just don't over-oil or over-grease. Märklin/Trix have part numbers for the oil and grease, but there are brands by other makers as well and general greases that work well (since its just a specific weight / style of oil and grease). But a small amount goes a long way.

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

5. Can my stock be converted to DCC and if so, what is likely the cost as well as any UK locations where this can get done. Called digital in Marklin speak. It can be adapted (depending on models) but may be more economic to purchase digital starter sets.

Not sure that advice is correct.

If your trains were run analog, via a transformer, you can absolutely convert them to digital , controlled via a power supply and digtal control station, by converting each locomotive motor and adding a digital controller. One might weigh the option of selling the analog locomotives and buying already prepared digital replacements if you don't take joy out of doing such conversions including the time and cost of doing so.

Once your on the path to digital, then there are several digital signaling protocols that exist in how the controller (Mobile Station, Central Station, or other makes controllers) communicate to the decoders in the locomotives. There are several protocols. Marklin has its own protocols, MFX, MFX+, FX, that require controllers to support them. DCC is an alternative signalling protocol that is supported by all digital makes beyond Märklin as well, and is the de-facto standard in DC operated model trains, but also work on Märklin 3-conductor systems. It doesn't feature the 'auto registration' of the locomotives with the control system, but can provide other benefits.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline FV1974  
#9 Posted : 06 November 2017 21:33:18(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Many thanks. Unfortunately the link to the video is not working

Regards,
Frederic

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#10 Posted : 06 November 2017 22:17:57(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   

5. Can my stock be converted to DCC and if so, what is likely the cost as well as any UK locations where this can get done.

Frederic

If you learn how to do it yourself, this makes a lot of sense vs. buying new. Between the ESU basic kits (64631 as an example) or the Marklin 60760 you can have them running in digital for about $40.

I'm currently doing about 10 conversions and breathing life into some older locos. May could be bought for $70-100USD and converted for another $40, vs $200-500 for a new locomotive. Plus the old metal stuff is a bit more robust for kids
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Pmare4  
#11 Posted : 06 November 2017 23:34:31(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
I ran my trains last night and 3 out of the 4 work well but my switching rails (to change directions) are not working anymore with my exchange boxes. Not sure why. I have also a Marklin direct box which allows controlling several trains at the same time. But only two seem to work with it. I guess I better refresh my memory how that worked.

Hi Frederic,

I'm not sure what you mean by "direct box." Are you talking about some kind of digital controller like the 6021 or a delta unit? If so not all locos are wired to work with these and will need to be converted to digital.

As for the points, make sure you have the yellow wires connected to the yellow output on the transformer, the blue wires connected to the rear outputs on the 7072 switch panels, and the 7072 switch panels connected from the output on the side to the brown output on the controller.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline FV1974  
#12 Posted : 07 November 2017 08:25:26(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Hi Peter,
I meant Delta controller. I have in the meantime found some useful reading on Delta on this forum and have discovered that 3 out of 4 of my trains can run independently on the track when I use the delta controller.

I have connected the cabl as you explained except that my yellow is not directly linked to the transfo but indirectly through a multi connector bit. The light on the auto switch track is on so it gets Power. However when pressing the buttons in the switch box nothing happens. I have tried several switch boxes as well as three other switch tracks. Can’t believe they would all be faulty.

MrB32  
#13 Posted : 07 November 2017 09:48:06(UTC)

You are making progress, well done :)

As you have light on your switches, your transformer is working properly and your switches are getting power.

First of all, I would test the switches themselves: take one of the blue cables, and touch one of the rails with it, the switch should buzz and open or close depending on the cable. if it buzzes and doesn't change direction whatever the cable, it is likely the spring is gone, or the the switch needs cleaning. See another of Martin's video:

If nothing buzzes, you might have some cable cuts somewhere, or a burnt solenoid... I think this is unlikely, It cannot be happening on all your switches at the same time...

Assuming your switches work fine, have you connected your "switch box" to the brown circuit? The brown circuit should be connected to the side of the "switch box".
Offline FV1974  
#14 Posted : 07 November 2017 16:03:15(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
No I haven't connected to the brown circuit. I have the yellow connected to the switch box and then another yellow out of the box to connect to my power supply setup. The two blue ones are in the box. I guess I will need to feed the switch rail yellow directly to the power supply and then the switch box to the brown connection on my Delta controller?

Will try that later tonight

Frederic
Offline FV1974  
#15 Posted : 08 November 2017 18:24:58(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Hurrah! Switch rails are working. Completely forgot I had to also hook them to the brown circuit.

Another question, my daughter is eager to buy an ICE train set from Marklin. How would that behave in my track with Delta? Would I be possible to link it to one of the 4 trains I can independently control?

Thanks
MrB32  
#16 Posted : 08 November 2017 19:12:36(UTC)

The should work, as long is the decoder inside is set to one of the Delta addresses: 24 "electric", 60 "railcar", 72"diesel", 78" Steam". The ICE comes with address 24 pre programmed when new. If you are buying used this is something to look at.

Don't buy the Marklin "My world" model, it runs on batteries and is controlled via an infrared remote.

If you are thinking of buying more things in the future, you might want to invest in an ICE starter set with a mobile station, and buy a couple of 24951 C to M track to connect to your existing track. This way you be able to access most of the basic digital functions as well control your existing delta locos.
Offline FV1974  
#17 Posted : 14 November 2017 21:35:48(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
I notice that the lights on my locos are opposite of the direction of travel. Surely, they are meant to be in line with the direction it is driving? Any idea why this is?