Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Graham HO  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2017 21:03:48(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
How serious is the threat of the next update iOS 11 on Apple tablets to the "Main Station" app for continued use with CS2 - any observation would be welcome, many thanks in advance.
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2017 22:21:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Short answer, if its a 32 bit app then it WILL NOT run on ios11.

The newest phones (iPhone 8/8+ and X) have CPUs that are only 64-bit, and Apple has decided to drop all 32 bit support from iOS 11, so if you have an older device that has 32 bit hardware capability, iOS 11 will not let you run those 32 bit apps.

I assume the Main Station app will be updated to 64 bit, it its not already been done (I don't have it so I cannot say).

You can see (on iOS 10) which of your apps are 32 bit: Config App -> General -> About -> Applications (#). All of those # applications are 32 bit and won't run on iOS 11.
For me it is 172 of the applications on my iPhone 6+. Many of them games that just work very well and have not been updated in 4 years because there is no need to. Many of most of them I suspect won't be updated as they have been abandoned by the developer - so the promise of purchasing an iOS app and being able to use it forever going forward is now busted. On Mac computers, I'm told that the iTunes application even prevents you from reinstalling such 32 bit apps on 32-bit capable hardware...

So beware upgrades of iTunes and iOS11. I'm staying with my MS Windows iTunes and my iOS 10.x for the foreseeable future.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2017 03:35:38(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

I assume the Main Station app will be updated to 64 bit, it its not already been done (I don't have it so I cannot say).

There currently no updates available for the Main Station app, so at least for now it remains 32 bit and will not run on iOS 11 devices. Märklin has not updated Main Station for a long time and I suspect that it will not get a 64 bit update. I think that is unfortunate because I like that app and use it frequently.

So for now I just run Main Station on an old iPad 4 which will remain 32 bit since that is all it's hardware will support anyway.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline MaerklinLife  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2017 07:42:34(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Märklin has not updated Main Station for a long time and I suspect that it will not get a 64 bit update. I think that is unfortunate because I like that app and use it frequently.

Of course it will. The latest newsletter said just that: An update is underway to make sure that the apps (Main Station and Mobile Station) will work with the next version of iOS. In the same run they will update the UI to make use of 32 functions in mfx.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2017 15:11:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Of course it will. The latest newsletter said just that: An update is underway to make sure that the apps (Main Station and Mobile Station) will work with the next version of iOS. In the same run they will update the UI to make use of 32 functions in mfx.

Thanks for passing that info along. I had not seen that in the newsletter and I really hope that they do release a 64 bit version. Your post also reminds me that I don't seem to be getting my digital newsletters anymore and I need to figure out why - maybe I just need to sign up again.

I guess I am sceptical because Märklin is so slow to address software issues in their apps, like the bugs in the CS2 code that have been there for years and which have never been fixed. Now the list of known and unaddressed bugs in the CS3 software is growing as well, which is one reason that I have yet to upgrade.

As I said in my last post I use Main Station regularly and I do hope that they update it because it has a much better UI than the CS2 does and is much more responsive.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2017 21:03:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So UNTIL the apps are updated - do not upgrade iOS beyond version 10, because those folks that have upgraded an Apple tablet to iOS11 are now without a working solution until Märklin gets an updated set of apps published in the app store. (Since Apple works so hard to make sure you cannot downgrade your OS again after the new version was installed)
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2017 01:09:09(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Since Apple works so hard to make sure you cannot downgrade your OS again after the new version was installed.

Yeah - as a developer those kind of Apple restrictions are irritating to me also but not really unusual anymore, especially with locked hardware/software systems like iOS. One of the reasons Apple products work so well for so many is that there not a lot of ways to change the basics of their machines. But because of that there are not nearly as many ways to break them either. (sorry for the brief thread jack)
Regards,
Jim

Offline FrankF  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2017 08:47:03(UTC)
FrankF

Denmark   
More Information about Mainstation/Mobilestation - Apps V1.4 can be found here (in german) :

https://www.maerklin.de/de/service/kundenservice/mainmobile-station-app-hilfe/
CS3+ 60216 ( SW:2.5.2 ) - MASTER / CS2 60215 ( SW:4.3.0 ) - SLAVE
MS2 60653/57 ( SW:4.13 ) / MS1 60652 ( SW:1.8AP ) / 60883 S88 LINK ( SW:1.1 )
MDT 3 (SW 3.6.0) - HW: 60970 / 60971 / 60801
ESU LOKPROGRAMMER ( SW 5.2.6 ) / ESU HW: 53451 / 53900 / 53901
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by FrankF
Hax
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2017 19:37:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Cool.

So to translate the key points Märklin indicated about their apps:
Sicherstellung der weiteren Verfügbarkeit im Shop
Erweiterung 32 Funktionen
Abschaltung der Schüttelgeste

The key update will happen by end of September 2017 (as this is a maintenance update it seems feasible that this can be relatively accurate other than the unknown of Apple's review of code.

1) Conversion to 64 bit app to ensure continued availability in the app store
2) Addition of 32 function support
3) Disabling of the 'shake gesture' (the typical undo on iOS)
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Graham HO  
#10 Posted : 01 October 2017 11:37:55(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Well iOS11 landed on my doorstep today - uninvited, however the Main Station app. continues to function.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Graham HO
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 01 October 2017 19:40:53(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Graham HO Go to Quoted Post
Well iOS11 landed on my doorstep today - uninvited, however the Main Station app. continues to function.

Glad to hear that the Main Station app still is working for you. Cool

I have an older iPad that won't be getting iOS 11 so it is not a problem for me. But I have seen no indication that there is a 64 bit version of Main Station available yet and it should not run on iOS 11.

Edited by user 02 October 2017 03:47:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 02 October 2017 03:30:01(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   

Hi Graham,

You may have downloaded the new IOS 11 but I sure you actually also installed it? AFAIK IOS updates will not be installed automatically.

I have updated my IPad and can confirm that Marklin MainStation does not work on my IPad anymore.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Graham HO  
#13 Posted : 02 October 2017 09:44:52(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Hi Lasse - as of October 2nd Apple Inc. is inviting me to download iOS11.1 when I next place my Air2 on charge - now it could be that this sounds like the real deal. So if there are a number of options for me to consider - selecting "not now" might be the best way forward until we establish when the Main Station app. will upgrade to 64 bit architecture.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Graham HO
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 11 October 2017 22:31:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hi Lasse - as of October 2nd Apple Inc. is inviting me to download iOS11.1 when I next place my Air2 on charge - now it could be that this sounds like the real deal. So if there are a number of options for me to consider - selecting "not now" might be the best way forward until we establish when the Main Station app. will upgrade to 64 bit architecture.

The 64 bit update to Main Station is now available in the Apple app store. It is iOS 11 compatible and lets you control all 32 functions in the newer decoders, so that problem has been resolved. Cool
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Graham HO  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2017 02:20:37(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Good to read this info - thanks very much. Do we know who the developers of this app. are?
Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2017 03:23:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Good to read this info - thanks very much. Do we know who the developers of this app. are?

I didn't specifically check, but with Apple it is usually only the original publisher of the software who can issue updates, and in this case that would be Märklin.

Both the Main Station on my iPad and the Mobile Station on my iPhone were updated late last week and both will now run on iOS11 and support up to 32 decoder functions.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Graham HO  
#17 Posted : 15 October 2017 10:15:07(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Thanks Jim - does the update cost?
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 15 October 2017 13:34:00(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

No, they do not cost anything Graham, and they both seem to function just fine.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Graham HO  
#19 Posted : 23 October 2017 08:17:23(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Hi Jim - iOS11.0.3 downloaded by default during Sunday night with a few additional details on my part. I felt less than impressed that I had not approved of the move by Apple - however 8 hours later an open request to download the Main Station app. appeared on screen which I duly agreed to. Hey presto Main Station is up and running again with the assumption that it is running on 64 bit support.
Offline dickinsonj  
#20 Posted : 23 October 2017 16:22:59(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hey presto Main Station is up and running again with the assumption that it is running on 64 bit support.

Cool. Yeah - 64 bit compatibility was a main reason for this update and they surprised me and added 32 function control to the gui as a bonus! It works fine on both my 32 and 64 bit machines and I appreciate Märklin getting this out there in a timely fashion. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline blid  
#21 Posted : 23 October 2017 19:33:44(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I once bought an iPod to be able to use the Mobile Station app. Unfortunately the new version of the Mobile Station requires a more resent version of IOS. The iPod has the latest version available (6.1.6). I don’t know much about Apple iDevices. Any ideas other than buying a new one?
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 23 October 2017 20:21:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
I once bought an iPod to be able to use the Mobile Station app. Unfortunately the new version of the Mobile Station requires a more resent version of IOS. The iPod has the latest version available (6.1.6). I don’t know much about Apple iDevices. Any ideas other than buying a new one?

At some amount of versions past the date that the hardware came out, the newer versions of IOS are not delivered/usable on the older hardware. iOS 6 came out 5 years ago, which I think means the iPod you got must be at least 7 years old if not more. If the iPod you got only gets 6.1.6 then you have a VERY OLD piece of hardware. You can always buy an older iPhone and just not put any SIM card in it and use it as an iPod.

Though as the MS app you would want a bigger screen. the iPhone 6plus is the first gen large screen phone, so maybe an older iPad would be a better match.

The iPad mini 2 from 2013 will run iOS v 10, which should be enough.

If there is an android version of the mobile station app then that may be the best approach - find an older android tablet/large screen phone.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#23 Posted : 23 November 2017 08:16:59(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Someone who caught up with what's happening with Android update Huh
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline cookee_nz  
#24 Posted : 03 January 2018 17:16:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

No, they do not cost anything Graham, and they both seem to function just fine.

I've just recently started getting some time with my CS2 60214 that I've had for a few months.

The females of the house are Apple fans so there is no shortage of devices, I have an older iPad (iOS 9 I think) and an iPhone 4s that I've been playing with but have not been able to find the Marklin Mobile Station app.

I have been having a play with Touchcab (free) but it's not working quite right and I'm still trying to figure if it's Software (the i-devices) or some other issue (the User is a high probability!) which is why I was looking for the Märklin app but it's not coming up in the store and a search leads me to Mobile Station or Main Station both of which seem to cost, ???? Confused

So, make it simple for me...

How / where can I get the Märklin app(/s) for my I-devices? (for free of course)

TIA

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline dickinsonj  
#25 Posted : 04 January 2018 03:47:32(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

So, make it simple for me...

How / where can I get the Märklin app(/s) for my I-devices? (for free of course)

TIA

Cookee

The updates to the Märklin apps for Apple devices are free, which it what I was referring to. The Mobile Station and Main Station apps themselves definitely are not free.

I don't remember what I paid for them, but they were the most expensive apps that I have ever bought. It was worth it to me though, since I run my layout more from my old iPad than I do from the CS2 itself. The graphics are better, you can control turnouts and locos from the same screen and the iPad responds to commands way, way faster than the CS2 does. I also like being able to wander around my train room with my controller in my hand as I do things.
Regards,
Jim

Offline waorb  
#26 Posted : 04 January 2018 11:53:05(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

The updates to the Märklin apps for Apple devices are free, which it what I was referring to. The Mobile Station and Main Station apps themselves definitely are not free.

No, not free... Crying

Main Station App link

And even not an "universal App". There is a separate version for iPhones, i.e., plus more money.

Mobile Station App link

I don't remember what I paid for them, but they were the most expensive apps that I have ever bought.

Far way the more expensive app bought here also...

Difficult to say that 'worth the money', but yes, very handful to walk around the layout with the iPad in hands, with bigger screen, etc...

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline Br01  
#27 Posted : 07 January 2018 18:15:21(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
I had main station iOS app since it’s launch with cs2 and I can say that it is has great value - comparing with alternatives from marklin.

You can control your locos and layout in multi view display, large and crisp iPad display and do it wirelessly around your layout. It is also very fast to respond and to change locos (scroll down). You can control up to 8 simultaneous locos with speed and functions - this works even better than the new cs3 interface (on which you can control multiple locos on the touch display but doesn’t give direct access to all the functions).

I also tried some other software but I didn’t like the interface. The marklin app has the same look and feel as cs2 and now cs3 menus.

Be sure to check some reviews at YouTube of main station.

I connected the cs2 to WiFi with a tplink nano, which powers up from the cs2 USB port. You can choose any WiFi with Ap client mode or connect with Ethernet cable to your switch/ router. From my experience it is best if you have the cs2 with a fixed IP address, so that the app can find it quicker.

It’s been updated to work with ios11 and with the 32 functions. Note: today I cannot find it on App Store it says only available in US App Store.. I believe they will put it back on European app stores..

This is by far the cheapeast solution for getting more controllers for marklin layouts (as opposed to add another physical central station or mobile station) and also one of the most complete regarding control of multiple digital items (locos, switches, signals, memory, layout).

Regards
John
Offline Minok  
#28 Posted : 07 January 2018 18:40:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
At present they don't show in the App Store for iOS at all.
Did Märklin remove all of their apps?

Edited by user 08 January 2018 00:41:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline cookee_nz  
#29 Posted : 07 January 2018 23:39:10(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
At present they don't show in the App Store for iOS at all.
Did Märklin removevallnofntheir apps?

This is the problem I had, I tried to download and it gave a similar message.

And it's not like Windoze where you can just copy the exe from someone who already has it, even if you still had to 'call home' to validate it.

Blimmen' CrApple, no wonder they got rich so fast on the back of everything ixxxx!!

But having said that, the cost does not bother me, it's only equal to a couple of pieces of track after all.

Oh well if anyone learns that it's back on line, do please be sharing the knowledge. BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Minok  
#30 Posted : 08 January 2018 00:40:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   
My assumptions is it's a glitch or Märklin forgot to pay their developers license (or the third party that makes their apps like the catalog) Why would they update the apps for ios11 and then pull them from the store.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline cookee_nz  
#31 Posted : 08 January 2018 00:57:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
My assumptions is it's a glitch or Märklin forgot to pay their developers license (or the third party that makes their apps like the catalog) Why would they update the apps for ios11 and then pull them from the store.

To patch bugs perhaps?, we would not know unless someone here had already downloaded and used it and found issues? Blink

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline dickinsonj  
#32 Posted : 08 January 2018 20:16:25(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

To patch bugs perhaps?, we would not know unless someone here had already downloaded and used it and found issues? Blink

I have downloaded the update and I have not seen any new issues, although my layout is currently undergoing some reconstruction and I have not tested it extensively. When I last used Main Station before this latest update I did see some issues with concurrency between the CS2 and that app. What I observed were things like loco functions, direction of travel and speed steps on the Main Station not being in sync with the CS2. Perhaps they are finally addressing those issues although I would have expected it to remain available for purchase regardless.

Strangely the app store is currently showing only the Mobile Station app for iPhone & iPod but not the Main Station app for the iPad. I will be running trains again by this weekend and I will post what I discover.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Minok  
#33 Posted : 08 January 2018 21:20:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Hm.. now the Marklin apps are back. Very odd. Well Mobile Station and the AR augmented reality app. No Main Station.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline waorb  
#34 Posted : 09 January 2018 13:32:22(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello!

All three Apps available again... No new updates so far...

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline dickinsonj  
#35 Posted : 20 January 2018 02:04:22(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post
Hello!

All three Apps available again... No new updates so far...

Cheers,

Walter

Not sure why they did the disappearing act from the app store - nice that they have returned. BigGrin

I have three mainlines running now and the Main Station app is working perfectly. Controlling up to 32 functions and still looking very pretty on my old iPad. I hardly ever use the interface on the CS2, even though it is really doing all of the digital work to keep my layout running. The interface on the Main Station app is so much better and the portability is a huge plus for me.

Cheers
Regards,
Jim