Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahnhof fan  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2017 16:40:14(UTC)
Bahnhof fan

United States   
Never has there such a great opportunity for Marklin to create a new series of Orient Express coaches! With the announcement of the new French steamer and the November release of the new movie "Murder on the Orient Express", it would be a great time for Marklin to create a model of the world's most famous train. Every time Marklin has released its era 1 version of the Orient Express coaches (from old Trix tooling), the sets have sold out. Mind you, these are really era 1 verisons.... The most popular verisons of the Orient Express are era 2... The height of the Orient Express popularity was between the 1920's and 1930's. The steel coaches, not the era 1 teak wood coaches used by Trix! Come on Marklin GmbH... Get with the program! For once in your history, strike while the iron is hot! You will sell out of these if they are well done!

I remember visiting the Export Manager in Goeppingen in the late 1980's, while I worked for Marklin USA. I pleaded with him to make a model of the Orient Express. I realize there were legal hurdles to overcome with Wagon-lits... It seems that these were overcome with the last releases of models featuring the old Trix tooling. LS Models are great... but they have no coherent production plan. Various car types are modeled... but these are done piece meal... One never sees an entire train modeled... You see a series of S, S1, S2, Y Z types produced but with no guide as to what prototypical trains these were used in. When will the elusive baggage van appear?

Marklin has the tooling for the improved 18.5..... They should make an era 2 version of it... Most of the Wagon-lits trains were not extremely long. They typically consisted of 3 or more sleeping cars, 1 restaurant coach and 1-2 baggage vans. The coaches in the long distance trains were all blue, not blue and cream. Marklin when you make this model, please do not make the same mistakes as Hornby Rivarossi!

Coaches in day trains (Pullman) were blue and cream... A very easy model to make would be the Cologne Pullman Express... it traveled from Oostende Belgium to Cologne, Germany. It consisted of 2 Etoile du Nord coaches (couplage) and sometimes 1 Côte d'Azur, with an old Belgian baggage car (Fleischmann 935680).

Bahnhof Fan
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Bahnhof fan
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2017 01:08:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bahnhof fan Go to Quoted Post
Never has there such a great opportunity for Marklin to create a new series of Orient Express coaches!
Bahnhof Fan

Yes, I agree totally. Those are all excellent suggestions and I can only hope that this time Märklin might listen! I will probably get something else to run behind my 39241 initially and then I will be hoping and praying that they make exactly the era 2 metal body coaches that you describe. I have the brown teak era 1 set and I don't really like them very much. I may eventually sell the coaches or even the whole set. The later coaches would make a really nice upgrade for me, especially running behind the SNCF 241-A-65. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2017 15:06:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have the Rivarossi coaches and they are very nice! I run them behind my 39023 Baden IVh

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2017 16:49:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Ray, could you get the coaches closer together (different couplings) ? or are these an older type

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 12 October 2017 00:10:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Ray, could you get the coaches closer together (different couplings) ? or are these an older type

John

One of the coaches is slightly older and has different couplings. If you get the newer types they have close couplings in coupler pockets.

I don't think they are currently in production though.
Ray
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2017 21:15:05(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have the Rivarossi coaches and they are very nice! I run them behind my 39023 Baden IVh

Great looking train Ray!
I do have those Rivarossi coaches and they still are very much excellent models, except maybe that the plastic used in their construction was not top notch and somewhat brittle.
In other words "Handle with care" Wink

The CIWL Lx16 sleeping coaches appeared in the mid 1930's? So the Badische Pacific in blue (pre DRG era/1927) may not be 100% historically correct, but who cares?Smile Wink
What counts is to find something harmonious, and I do like an "all blue" train.

I guess the 39241 / 241A65 SNCF (dd 1931) coming out soon will be a perfect match.ThumpUp

Can't wait for mine!
Cheers

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 13 October 2017 09:33:54(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
It is not such a simple exercise for Marklin to produce and market a consist of Orient Express cars.
This is because there were so many route variants operated by CIWL (Orient Express), all of which had different consists.
Some examples are:
The classic Paris-Istanbul
Berlin to Munchen (to link with the Paris-Istanbul)
Orient Express train to Manchuria via Russia, and another to Egypt
Nord express (Paris-Scandinavia)
Golden Arrow (link from London)
The Blue Train (Paris-Marseille)
The Mistral operated by SNCF with some CIWL equipment in the 1960s.

But Marklin can quite easily do representative models of the car types used in the Orient express of the 1930s-60s as Bahnhof fan suggests.
Originally Posted by: Bahnhof fan Go to Quoted Post
They typically consisted of 3 or more sleeping cars, 1 restaurant coach and 1-2 baggage vans.

Bahnhof fan's suggestion of the WL sleeper types of the 1930s, such as the Y, and the era II version of the BR18.5 steam engine are perfectly achievable without too much research or expense.
The German E17 (example Marklin 37061) electric engine was intensively used by Orient Express in the 1930s on heavily graded sections, and has not yet been done in eraII by Marklin.
Aside from a sleeper or two, a restaurant (WR) car is the only real necessity.
The CIWL trains were from the 1940s onwards, augmented with odd cars from SNCF, SNCB, NS, DSB, SJ, and FS as timetabling, demand, and logistics permitted.
Many of these cars are already made by Marklin.

Marklin would be well advised to liaise with the museum at Mulhouse near Basle, which has a great collection of the typical CIWL cars.
The museum at Odense, Denmark has a WR type car built in 1943, which is a 1930s design.
These museums may even give Marklin a few paint chips.
The technical assistance of museums, will be accompanied by diffusive marketing capability (almost like a Disney licence) which goes with these products.

In regards to materials, my personal preference if cost effective, is that Marklin revive models with true longevity.
This means they should be made of tin-plate (blech).
They could now use plastic detail enhancements in roofs, bogies, and underframes.
The baggage car of which Bahnhof has spoken, was already made by Marklin in tinplate (Primex 4186).
With acknowledgement to Lokmuseum.de
Primex 4186

Tinplate cars of length 26.5mm were made by PMP of France in the 1950s, and one example is shown here.
Regardless of scale length, these cars look correct.
PMP WR

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 13 October 2017 10:46:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

The CIWL Lx16 sleeping coaches appeared in the mid 1930's? So the Badische Pacific in blue (pre DRG era/1927) may not be 100% historically correct, but who cares?Smile Wink
What counts is to find something harmonious, and I do like an "all blue" train.

Cheers

Jacques

Hi Jacques, you're perfectly right of course! I have plenty of locos to choose from that would be correct for the period, but this train looks so nice with the blue loco! ThumpUp

In my "alternative history", the DRG kept their express locos in original regional liveries until the late 30's when they were repainted in black...Smile ...and why not? BigGrin

The loco is actually marked as a DRG Br18.3 and not as a Baden IVh so I think it is a permissable deviation...
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 13 October 2017 11:04:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
We mustn't forget that these coaches are also in use today on the modern day VSOE orient express service, so you can justify a rake of CIWL coaches behind modern day French, Swiss, German, Austrian and Italian electrics. I travelled the route with my wife a few years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary and loved the experience of spending a couple of days on these beautifully restored coaches. The "Lalique" dining car was particularly beautiful.

The route that we followed on our trip was London-Paris-Zurich-Innsbruck-Venice, through the Arlberg and Brenner passes. Spectacular scenery!

UserPostedImage

By the way the modern train uses the all blue livery on the sleeper and baggage cars and the blue and ivory on the dining and bar cars. On the photo above you can see the latter in the distance, about half way along the train.

On my layout I recreate this photo using a red Re6/6, as unforunately my Ae6/6 is a green one! BigGrin
Ray
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF