Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2017 14:20:00(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good afternoon everyone, I have been left with one Seuthe smoke generator. Has anyone tried using e-cigarette liquids?
I got this idea as at the end of the day a smoke generator works in the same way of an e-cigarette.
Plus the e-cig liquid comes in variaty of different 'flavours' BigGrin
Thank you
Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
MrB32  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2017 15:01:09(UTC)

This would be quite expensive if it worked... The tesco stuff costs £3.99/10ml equivalent to £99.75/250ml, compared to £15/250ml for smoke fluid... I'd rather buy a vintage loco :)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Guest
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2017 15:14:42(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I've read in old posts that some suggest using the ESU liquid instead of the Seuthe one.
I didn't get the real reason why this was suggested though.
I know that there is a liquid that is better than Seuthe's but can't remember which one though Confused it comes in a packaging that has the shape of a loco.
Thank you
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
MrB32  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2017 15:22:07(UTC)

It is all the same stuff, but what you are referring to is probably the LGB 5001 or the SR24.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2017 17:13:08(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I use Blue Juice Valve Oil. Look for it online or in a music instrument shop.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2017 18:41:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
It is all the same stuff, but what you are referring to is probably the LGB 5001 or the SR24.

The ESU oil is different to the Seuthe/Marklin/LGB oil, and must be used in ESU locos that have smoke units.

As to alternative fluids to try in a Seuthe smoke unit, musical instrument valve oil has already been mentioned, another option I would like to try is the smoke fluid used for musical venues. I beleive this is non-oily, and I have seen a version available in the UK from Maplins. I haven't managed to give it a try yet, but it is on my 'things to do' list.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
MrB32  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2017 18:52:06(UTC)

Sure, but we were talking Seuthe here, mineral oil based liquid.

Marklin has introduced a new system which is water based recently, in an effort to make the children bedroom safer. Something to be mindful of in future.

We will have:
- Seuthe type units
- ESU
- Marklin

A bit messy....
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2017 19:17:36(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Blue Juice Valve Oil is barred from being on sale on the UK by trading standards as the cap does not meet standards for a flammable product and the labelling does not adequately describe the product and its risks. Sounds like it may be good stuff- especially when you consider it is not to clean and lubricate the valves on your trombone but you intend to electrically ignite it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline 1borna  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2017 19:54:33(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
In many different forums I found that the lampenoil (petroleum) is suitable for smoke generators, taking good smell and not expensive
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 02 October 2017 07:52:44(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I think I have some interesting information on this subject.

I talked to an engineer today, who told me that he mixes his own liquids for his e-cigarette.

( He has one of those BIG e-cigarettes that produces a lot of smoke, that's why I started asking him questions. )

The main ingredient in this liquid is glycerin. I didn't know that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

He mixes 70% organic glycerin with 30% technical glycerin, and then adds the flavor and nicotine.

Google-ing the matter, I learnt that some also uses a mix of propylene glycol and glycerin:

https://www.gosmokefree....le-glycerin-vg-e-liquid/

I'm not at home now, so I can't make any tests; but I think this is worth a bit of investigation.

If it works, it's cheap and without any smell.

Now the next challenge is to make black smoke................ BigGrin

Per.

Disclaimer: If you somehow manage to make nitroglycerine during your tests and then blow yourself up; please don't blame me. Laugh

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Br502362  
#11 Posted : 02 October 2017 08:30:42(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi all,

I have used this:

SR24 Rauchöl

Price is only 9,95€/L

Cheers

Åke
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 02 October 2017 22:49:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
To some extent these debates sound and feel a lot like the automotive motor oil debates. Visit a car special interest group and look for a thread about "which motor oil is best" and you get a religious war of words going in seconds..

In the end the fluid needs to be matched to the generator so that it will vaporize at the temperature/condition that the smoke unit generates. That may well be why ESU has its own solution with its generators.

The stuff that ends up in the air, the vaporized fluid, then all to be oil based because water based will not travel very far out of the generator before dissipating into the air as humidity and being non-visible. So for the diesel engine exhaust those water piezo electric vaporizers may work well, but to get the bigger and larger output clouds of a steam engine, that technology will not work well (at least not without some scientific breakthrough).

For the color of the generated smoke, the oils produce a white smoke as its the light refracting/reflecting off of the vaporized hydrocarbons (oil) that you see. To get black smoke, you would be required to have combustion (actual burning) , which is not possible with the technology. If the vaporized product could become completely non-reflective so it absorbed light, then black would be possible, but that would then deposit (soot) on the layout. Try generating a water droplet that absorbs all light and doesn't let light pass through or reflect it. DO that and you have a massive break through that can be patented and may win some scientific prizes.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok