Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hvc  
#1 Posted : 30 September 2017 16:26:42(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Hi all,

My daughter found a Märklin 3071 in a second-hand goods store, and bought it for me for my birthday (yes, I feel very lucky), but it has a problem that i need some help with.

Firstly, here's the set:

IMG_5976.jpg
IMG_5977.jpg
IMG_5978.jpg

It seems to have seen very little use.

I removed the loco body and gave it a little oil, and then gave it a test. The motor runs fine forwards, but the loco won't go backwards.

The reversing relay switches normally, but when in "reverse" you apply the power and the relay emits a buzzing sound and you can see the arm vibrating a little, but the loco doesn't move. Reverse direction again, and then it will move forward normally. Note that I do have the control car for the back of the train plugged in. There is a pickup shoe on the front and the back of the train, so I assume that it changes which pickup shoe is in use based on the direction of travel.

Anyone know what this is? Also, does anyone have a copy of the instructions for this model?

Also, in case I'm not being clear about the problem, here's a video of the issue occurring:

- Herman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hvc
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2017 16:46:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hvc Go to Quoted Post

It seems to have seen very little use.

I removed the loco body and gave it a little oil, and then gave it a test. The motor runs fine forwards, but the loco won't go backwards.

The reversing relay switches normally, but when in "reverse" you apply the power and the relay emits a buzzing sound and you can see the arm vibrating a little, but the loco doesn't move. Reverse direction again, and then it will move forward normally. Note that I do have the control car for the back of the train plugged in. There is a pickup shoe on the front and the back of the train, so I assume that it changes which pickup shoe is in use based on the direction of travel.

Anyone know what this is? Also, does anyone have a copy of the instructions for this model?

Also, in case I'm not being clear about the problem, here's a video of the issue occurring:

This sounds like a typical problem if the fine wire from the field coil gets broken where it comes out to the reversing mechanism. Gently tug the wires on the field coil and see if one of them 'stretches'. Another possibility could be the other end of the same winding where the two wires come out of the field coil and are soldered onto one of the brush holder connections. If the insulation wasn't scraped from the wire properly it may have made a dry joint where it is soldered onto the brush holder.

Another possibility is the contact on the reversing unit not having enough pressure onto the rotating contact. This is readily checked by observation and gently pressing on the contact with a toothpick or fine screw driver. If you have it on track when you do this, and this is the problem then should start to move, so this is probably the thing to try first.

Looks like your set is in good condition. One of the problems with these sets is the body sides bow iwth age, but yours appear to be all straight, and you have the additional coach as well. Well done Daughter.

Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2017 18:28:08(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

This loco only works properly when it is electrical connected to the control cab coach. When running backwards it gets the current from the slider of that coach. The nose of the plugs must show upwards.

Manual: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/t1sbfhvqaayykxm/3071.pdf

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2017 18:29:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The issue is likely with the tension of the screw on the reverse unit. I will post the instructions when I locate them.

http://www.maerklin-samm...ven/03071/3071_explo.pdf
http://www.marklin.org.n.../pdfs/service_manual.pdf
See also: https://www.marklin-user...every-day-s-a-school-day

Regards

Mike C
Offline hvc  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2017 11:17:54(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Thanks for the replies everyone!

The manual helped me with some confidence about the connectors between the carriages (which can go in either way?), and I worked out that the problem was dirt in the connector socket with the rear carriage which has the pickup shoe used when going backwards. Once I cleaned this out the train started working in reverse - at least I think that's what fixed it.

Now to put all of those windows back in .... (about a third have fallen out through handling - I think I'll put a bit of glue on them...)

Herman
- Herman
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2017 11:28:13(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Herman,

there is a small "nose" at the plugs. This must show upwards.

Regards

Markus
Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2017 12:43:46(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: hvc Go to Quoted Post

Now to put all of those windows back in .... (about a third have fallen out through handling - I think I'll put a bit of glue on them...)

Herman

Hello Herman,

In re-fixing the windows you may find these of help :

https://www.marklin-user...-Windows.aspx#post489019

https://www.marklin-user...-Windows.aspx#post489535

http://solutions.3m.com/...55+3294274806&rt=rud

Regards,

Philip
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
hvc
Offline hvc  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2017 14:17:08(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Here it is up and running:

The lights change over with the direction of travel (very 1960s analogue cool).

It runs well, except that it does the little coughing/gear grinding noise that some locs do. I've always associated this with gear wear, but this loco seems like it doesn't have enough use for this to be the case. I did oil it before running it, of course.

- Herman

- Herman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hvc
Offline Unholz  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2017 15:07:42(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I would associate the slight "coughing"/"throat ache" sound that one can still hear (especially when the pilot car runs ahead) with a remaining lubrication problem. Either you did not oil all the relevant spots, or then your unit might be a victim of hardened Marklin oil that was used during a certain time period.

I would suggest that you either clean the gears entirely to make sure that no more old oil is present or then check whether you missed one spot where a drop of oil is missing.
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 01 October 2017 18:40:10(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
I would suggest that you either clean the gears entirely to make sure that no more old oil is present or then check whether you missed one spot where a drop of oil is missing.

Would running the loco at low speed with time resolve the problem?

I LOVE the train - congratulations! ThumpUp