Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklinista  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2017 05:28:29(UTC)
Marklinista

Hi,
Having packed all my trains and completed my retirement move out West to a new (old) house and I've been granted permission from "C-I-N-C-HOME" BigGrin to utilize one end of a heated attic and have my own Marklin train layout! The overall area is 421x452 cm. I'd like to build an Era II/III 00 scale 1950s style analog layout using 3600 track, similar to those seen at Marklin dealers and company toy/trade shows after WW2. I will be running mostly 800 and 3000 series locos and rolling stock, incorporating postwar catenary and original Marklin and US-Zone Kibri metal buildings and accessories from my collection. The dimensions above are overall so I need to include space to access the layout from all sides. I'd like to use as much room as possible for the layout while still allowing a walk-around lane. I realize that most dealer and company layouts of the period were rectangular rather than square but I'd like to build one that can maximize the space I have.

Are there reference documents or images online with 3600 track schemes from Marklin or other modelers to be found a square-ish layout? Has anyone else here built or operate a similar layout?

Thanks!
Sil
Era II/III H0, 00. Märklin 700, 800, 3000 series. Fleischmann. Hag and other Swiss brass. Hornby AcH0 & French metal. Penn Line. Rivarossi: 1/80. Trix Express. CIWL, TEE enthusiast. Creglinger, Faller, Kibri Holzpappe & tinplate.
"Out where the handclasp's a little stronger. Out where the smile dwells a little longer. That's where the West begins..."
A. Chapman
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Marklinista
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2017 07:59:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
This layout might be possible with some modifications.

Capture.JPG

Layout is from the 0320 Trackplan Book, which features layouts built from 3600 series track.

Book can be downloaded from:- http://www.lctm.info/Sec...lioteca/Libros/index.php
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Marklinista  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2017 08:04:56(UTC)
Marklinista

Did you mean to say 3600 series track? This gives me a good starting point. It's still a bit too wide.
Thanks
Era II/III H0, 00. Märklin 700, 800, 3000 series. Fleischmann. Hag and other Swiss brass. Hornby AcH0 & French metal. Penn Line. Rivarossi: 1/80. Trix Express. CIWL, TEE enthusiast. Creglinger, Faller, Kibri Holzpappe & tinplate.
"Out where the handclasp's a little stronger. Out where the smile dwells a little longer. That's where the West begins..."
A. Chapman
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2017 09:41:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Marklinista Go to Quoted Post
It's still a bit too wide.

That's why I suggested you modify it!
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2017 10:02:01(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
On FAM is an index of all the Marklin factory layouts, also the one with 3600 tracks.

See here: http://alte-modellbahnen...ensteranlagen-INDEX.html

Marco
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2017 10:09:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post

Just spent part of today building a carpetbahn of 0490 from this website. Ran out of 5109/5110 though....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Marklinista  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2017 18:04:22(UTC)
Marklinista

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
It's still a bit too wide.

That's why I suggested you modify it!

Yes you did.That was a 2am reply (!). Thanks.
A. Chapman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklinista
Offline Marklinista  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2017 18:26:36(UTC)
Marklinista

..also the one with 3600 tracks.

Marco

Sorry Marco, but I'm not finding anything for the 3600 from your link. I went through all the topic's links to paper, plans, and fotos. I also did a keyword search on both pages of the topic post. What did I miss?
A. Chapman
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2017 11:28:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
..also the one with 3600 tracks.

Marco

Sorry Marco, but I'm not finding anything for the 3600 from your link. I went through all the topic's links to paper, plans, and fotos. I also did a keyword search on both pages of the topic post. What did I miss?

Have you got or seen the 0763 book - it's from 1938 so well-before the 5xxx series. The layouts in there are somewhat rudimentary, but so was the availability of track also.

Try this link.... http://www.marklin.org.nz/images/reference/pdfs/0763.pdf (Courtesy of the Auckland NZ Märklin Club)

Very simple layouts in the front few pages, more advanced ones near the end.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Marklinista  
#10 Posted : 27 September 2017 23:16:04(UTC)
Marklinista

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Try this link.... http://www.marklin.org.nz/images/reference/pdfs/0763.pdf (Courtesy of the Auckland NZ Märklin Club)

Cheers

Awesome, thanks. I love how they give you the operating basics of the old signalling and trackage as building blocks to more complex layouts.

BTW I found Wolf's 2012 post about recreating the 1939 Leipzig Fair layout:

https://www.marklin-user...g--Toy-Fair-Display.aspx

What a great layout. I think I'll plan for that scheme with some modifications to fit my size coinstraints. Perhaps by placing the layout sideways in the room I may be able to get the original width (550 cm) to fit. I want to change the layout to use the larger postwar turntable and circular lok shed. I also want to enable freight trains to come through that area to reach the freight yard indepependently of the turntable and shed trackage. I think there could be enough space at the top of the smaller raised platform to fit a single main through-track to the saddle and also fit a junction to the shed and turntable sidings. That way one could have independent (manual) operation for the shed as also for the freight yard, composing and de-composing freight consists. I will add some more turnouts and a few post-war 4-way crossings to enable additional circulation options. Regardless, only 00 scale 800 stock and pre-computer # 3000 series, in separate sessions, would be run. Before actual building starts, the really "fun" part is going to be sorting and matching clean and straight 3600 track of same (or close to) color! 3600 track seems to have more colors than the Pantone palette, each with its own "seasoned" vintage look and condition.

I would also like to showcase the longer postwar bridge sections, with their curved ramps, and pillar supports. As we all know, a good H0 layout can never have too many bridges. In the end, my idea is to build a hybrid layout having pre- and immediately-post-war components. For ease of sourcing and the availabilty of more features, I'll use the later, post-war catenary with plastic poles. The wide transverse catenary supports for stations and yards I think would look great with the larger station buildings. I may equip one inside loop with the pre-war overhead for nostalgia's sake. I'm figuring that on the original 1939 Leipzig layout, by incorporating the standard analog relays and automatic blocks, Marklin could run four full trains without human control. Does that compute?

I'm looking for simple train CAD program (for a Mac) to model all this, possibly with 3600 track components. Is there anything like that available?

Thanks.

Edited by moderator 28 September 2017 11:53:19(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed confused nested quoting

A. Chapman