Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zeitgaiss  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2017 16:39:23(UTC)
Zeitgaiss

United States   
So I noticed after I put in my smoke gen, that a second train on the track is barely powered and I have not even hooked up all my switches. I have a 10V analog - found a deal in the 30 V analog-

if I jump up are there problems I should be aware of can I blow a train, or will my smoke gen still work. And also the 30v has 4 connections in the back. So is the wiring dif?

Thanks look forward to your advice !
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2017 18:21:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Make sure the transformer you are looking at is one of the newer white or grey plastic ones. The older blue ones are no longer recommended by Marklin due to the large voltage spike they produce on reversing which can damage newer locomotives.

Using a higher rated transformer will not damage your trains. Each locomotive will only draw the current that it needs from the transformer.

The 4 connections will be the same as the three on smaller units but with an extra ground connection.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Zeitgaiss  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2017 18:40:28(UTC)
Zeitgaiss

United States   
Thanks ray, will that transformer blow my smoke generator. It's a sleuthe rated 10-16V - but most of them are rated that it seams- I saw 1 or 2 as high as 22v. ?

Mike
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2017 20:29:06(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   

The transformer gives a driving voltage of 7 to 16 volts, only when the direction change changes to 24 volts, the smoke generator will not burn in short changes, but longer damage to the bump can!
With old blue transformers, the voltage today ranges from 8 to 18 volts and when changing direction to high and dangerous 27-28 volts (in Europe with a 230-240 volts voltage network)

And when driving only old analogue locomotives, it happens to burn light bulbs in the locomotives, while the bulbs in the signals and switches
last longer for 18 volts instead of 16.

Since I have a lot of old transformers I have made a few pre-transformers of 100 VA that disconnect the voltage from 240 to 220 volts
(each is sufficient for 3 transformers)
Offline Zeitgaiss  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2017 21:02:33(UTC)
Zeitgaiss

United States   
Thanks for that- i did realize (some of)that after reading an old manual- so I ordered it. Track is coming together. I'll post some shots eventually. So glad I have a son that's into these right now. I can finally do some stuff I always wanted when I was a kid. And help my boy learn how to live without iphones. He's very detailed when cleaning up old track. Happy father here and loving this forum
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zeitgaiss
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2017 23:54:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
Since I have a lot of old transformers I have made a few pre-transformers of 100 VA that disconnect the voltage from 240 to 220 volts
(each is sufficient for 3 transformers)
If it makes you happy.
My grey transformers have 25 V reversing voltage. One of my blue transformers has 31 V reversing voltage at 230 V. With a step-down transformer for 240 to 220 V, the reversing voltage of the blue transformer will still be much higher than that of the grey transformers and will still exceed the specifications of some modern decoders.

This thread shows another issue a step-down transformer will not fix:
https://www.marklin-user...huge-230-Volt-shock.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Zeitgaiss  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2017 00:39:28(UTC)
Zeitgaiss

United States   
I should say that I keep all new digital systems on separate tracks. I don't take the chance and it gives my kids an easier road to sharing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zeitgaiss
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 20 September 2017 08:05:23(UTC)
H0

I don't hesitate to run my digital locos on analogue tracks - if those are operated with modern transformers (230 V input voltage for Europe, 120 V for US - be careful with Märklin transformers made for 110 V, 220 V, or 240 V).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Benders  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2020 00:08:33(UTC)
Benders

New Zealand   
Recently I have acquired two 6166 30VA 240v T's that have been tested ( inspected/tested/certified to AS/NZS 3760).
However I cannot get them to send a high voltage jolt to reverse analogue locos.
Normal procedure is to turn dial anticlockwise to the extent of its movement.
What am I not doing correctly?
Anyone shed any light on this ?
Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Benders
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2020 07:58:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Benders Go to Quoted Post
Recently I have acquired two 6166 30VA 240v T's that have been tested ( inspected/tested/certified to AS/NZS 3760).
However I cannot get them to send a high voltage jolt to reverse analogue locos.
Normal procedure is to turn dial anticlockwise to the extent of its movement.
What am I not doing correctly?
Anyone shed any light on this ?
Thanks

Normally you either turn the control down to zero, then an extra firm 'click' past 0 to activate the reverse voltage, OR, you press down on the red control.

The press-down method is older and was done away with to prevent activating reverse while the loco was already travelling forward.

Does 'anything' happen when you activate reverse? - additional brightness of the headlights (or any lighted coaches on the tracks)?

Have you got a multi-meter to measure the actual output?

If nothing at all happens, but you can still drive the trains, it would indicate something wrong with the reverse function in the Trafo, but in two of them?, that would be very unusual.

You could always bring them along to the MMRC in Upper Hutt any Friday night or Saturday and we'll quickly sort them out.

Cheers

Steve
Paremata
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Benders  
#11 Posted : 16 October 2020 01:51:25(UTC)
Benders

New Zealand   
Thanks for the response Steve.
Nothing occurs when the switch (6166) is at the left (anticlockwise ) end of the dial - loco stops.
Loco runs normally when dial turned clockwise but no lights operate.
The 6017 Tr I have reverses and operates all lights which brighten when the extra voltage is applied.
What is the best time on a Sat to drop in at U/Hutt?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Benders
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 16 October 2020 11:48:21(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Benders Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the response Steve.
Nothing occurs when the switch (6166) is at the left (anticlockwise ) end of the dial - loco stops.
Loco runs normally when dial turned clockwise but no lights operate.
The 6017 Tr I have reverses and operates all lights which brighten when the extra voltage is applied.
What is the best time on a Sat to drop in at U/Hutt?

Any time really, there's usually people there at least from 10am, often earlier. I won't personally be there tomorrow, but if you just introduce yourself to the first person you see, say you were talking to me (Steve Cook) and you wanted to verify if your controller was working someone will quickly help.

If it needs repair, there's only a couple of people that will be able to do it (legally - due to requiring Electrical Registration).

You might actually find it cheaper to join the club and purchase one of our certified controllers from our Goods for Sale.

Or, if you'd prefer to come when you know there will be someone you've previously spoken to, then I am most likely to be the next Friday evening, and will definitely be there for the last Friday meeting on the 30th because it's my presentation of "something special" :-) Visitors always welcome
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz