Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline daafies  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2017 20:27:01(UTC)
daafies

United States   
hi, i have a CS2 which i normally use for my 3 rail marklin layout with mixture of delta and mf locos.

Now i also have a growing layout of DC 2 rail that i would like to convert to digital. i was thinking of installing digitrax decoders and get a digitrax dcc controller, but instead can i use my CS2 to control the 2 rail locos with digitrax controllers.? if so how i wire up the CS2?

thank you very much!
david
Offline daafies  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2017 21:15:44(UTC)
daafies

United States   
meant to say "2 rail locos with digitrax decoders"
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2017 21:36:21(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: daafies Go to Quoted Post
if so how i wire up the CS2?

You take the two wires from your layout feeder track , put a plug on them and plug it into the CS2 track connector socket
Peter
Offline daafies  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2017 21:44:22(UTC)
daafies

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
if so how i wire up the CS2?

You take the two wires from your layout feeder track , put a plug on them and plug it into the CS2 track connector socket

peter,

that simple? there are no issues with voltage levels etc? all compatible?

if that's the case, could i control both tracks at the same time? like 2 tracks in 'parallel' ?
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2017 22:27:57(UTC)
Goofy

hi, i have a CS2 which i normally use for my 3 rail marklin layout with mixture of delta and mf locos.

Now i also have a growing layout of DC 2 rail that i would like to convert to digital. i was thinking of installing digitrax decoders and get a digitrax dcc controller, but instead can i use my CS2 to control the 2 rail locos with digitrax controllers.? if so how i wire up the CS2?

thank you very much!
david

You can use CS2 with mfx and DCC protocol on the two rail,if you have Märklins decoder that support mfx too and not only DCC.
It depends if your CS2 has been set with those protocols.
Yes you can also use Digitrax decoder with the CS2 since Märklins system do also accept DCC.
Not sure if Digitrax controller can been connect with the CS2?
Will this not happens digital interference?

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2017 22:38:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Now i also have a growing layout of DC 2 rail that i would like to convert to digital. i was thinking of installing digitrax decoders

As others have poinnted out, the cs2 will control DCC decoders.

But rather than digitrax ones I suggest you look at ESU ones. These have a really enthusiastic, and growing, user base in the USA. They are certainly the 'go to' decoder for sound.

Join the Loksound Yahoo email group and you will find many very knowledgeable people for these decoders. The US representative of ESU is also active on there (when he is not off recording yet another loco to make a decoder sound file) and is also a really helpful guy.

You didn't say what what RR/era/country the 2 rail models are. If you are looking to fit decoders with sound that could also affect your decoder choice, but ESU has a very wide range of sound files available.

Offline MaerklinLife  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2017 22:47:40(UTC)
MaerklinLife

if that's the case, could i control both tracks at the same time? like 2 tracks in 'parallel' ?

There is no difference on 3-rail vs. 2-rail when it comes to running digitally. Look at it this way: Pretend like the left rail on a Märklin track isn't there. What do you have left? The center rail and a right rail. What does that make? 2-rail!

It is the same thing. All locos today utilize the same technology one way or the other. The only difference is how the power comes into the locomotive: Pickup shoe or 2-rail power pickup.

I have a CS2. It runs both my 2-rail and 3-rail loop on the layout. Just don't put your Märklin wagons on your 2-rail loop.

As Peter said, just connect the wires and off you go. Easy!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline daafies  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2017 00:34:49(UTC)
daafies

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

thank you very much!
david

You can use CS2 with mfx and DCC protocol on the two rail,if you have Märklins decoder that support mfx too and not only DCC.
It depends if your CS2 has been set with those protocols.
Yes you can also use Digitrax decoder with the CS2 since Märklins system do also accept DCC.
Not sure if Digitrax controller can been connect with the CS2?
Will this not happens digital interference?

sorry i didnt mean connecting digitrax controller to the CS2 :) typo. general consensus seems dcc locos should work with cs2.
thanks for reading and replying!

Offline daafies  
#9 Posted : 19 September 2017 00:38:38(UTC)
daafies

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

There is no difference on 3-rail vs. 2-rail when it comes to running digitally. Look at it this way: Pretend like the left rail on a Märklin track isn't there. What do you have left? The center rail and a right rail. What does that make? 2-rail!

It is the same thing. All locos today utilize the same technology one way or the other. The only difference is how the power comes into the locomotive: Pickup shoe or 2-rail power pickup.

I have a CS2. It runs both my 2-rail and 3-rail loop on the layout. Just don't put your Märklin wagons on your 2-rail loop.

As Peter said, just connect the wires and off you go. Easy!

:D right, keep the markin locs and wagons away from 2 rail :)

ok great i'll give it a try. thank you very much for the insights!

david
Offline daafies  
#10 Posted : 19 September 2017 00:44:18(UTC)
daafies

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Now i also have a growing layout of DC 2 rail that i would like to convert to digital. i was thinking of installing digitrax decoders

As others have poinnted out, the cs2 will control DCC decoders.

But rather than digitrax ones I suggest you look at ESU ones. These have a really enthusiastic, and growing, user base in the USA. They are certainly the 'go to' decoder for sound.

Join the Loksound Yahoo email group and you will find many very knowledgeable people for these decoders. The US representative of ESU is also active on there (when he is not off recording yet another loco to make a decoder sound file) and is also a really helpful guy.

You didn't say what what RR/era/country the 2 rail models are. If you are looking to fit decoders with sound that could also affect your decoder choice, but ESU has a very wide range of sound files available.

ok great i'll look into ESU as well. why do you prefer them over digitrax?

the models i have are 3 athearn GP38-2 'blue box' engines.
Offline daafies  
#11 Posted : 19 September 2017 02:10:11(UTC)
daafies

United States   
All works well, but i had to set the cs2 to dcc only mode (not auto) to be able to access cv and change address. Not a big deal!
Offline daafies  
#12 Posted : 19 September 2017 02:33:08(UTC)
daafies

United States   
one question, the address seems to be limited to 8bits 0-255). Is that a decoder or cs2 limitation
Offline PeFu  
#13 Posted : 19 September 2017 06:54:56(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
All works well, but i had to set the cs2 to dcc only mode (not auto) to be able to access cv and change address. Not a big deal!

That shouldn't be needed. I run Märklin-Motorola and Mfx decoders in parallel to DCC decoders on which I can configure CV settings using CS2.

one question, the address seems to be limited to 8bits 0-255). Is that a decoder or cs2 limitation

I have set the DCC addresses to >300 using CS2. There are postings on the net that some (older) multi-protocol decoders could be "confused" if the address is set within the Märklin protocol range, something I also experienced. I set the address in the main settings window, not the CV setting window. I failed to set address >300 only on one DCC enabled decoder.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline daafies  
#14 Posted : 19 September 2017 08:24:23(UTC)
daafies

United States   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

That shouldn't be needed. I run Märklin-Motorola and Mfx decoders in parallel to DCC decoders on which I can configure CV settings using CS2.

I have set the DCC addresses to >300 using CS2. There are postings on the net that some (older) multi-protocol decoders could be "confused" if the address is set within the Märklin protocol range, something I also experienced. I set the address in the main settings window, not the CV setting window. I failed to set address >300 only on one DCC enabled decoder.

Weird! Well, I'm getting a second dcc decoder later this week. Let's see how that one behaves. Yea i did not go in the cv window to change the address either. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 19 September 2017 21:16:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Weird! Well, I'm getting a second dcc decoder later this week. Let's see how that one behaves. Yea i did not go in the cv window to change the address either. Thanks for sharing your experience!

DCC addressing is slightly wierd in that it has two modes - short addressing and long addressing.

Short addressing uses 1 to 127 - but some controllers can only use 1 to 99 for short addresses. 0 is a reserved address.

Long addresses are 0 to 9999 (technically it can be up to something like 10237). Some controllers will accept long addresses of 100+, and others will accept only 128+. This is because they use this as a way of demarcation when selecting an address as short or long, but that is not a discussion we need to go into here.

A long address takes two 8 bit CVs to set up the value of the address, and then there is another CV has to have a bit set so that the decoder responds to long addresses instead of short addresses - a decoder can have both a long address and a short address, and they can be different. Now some controllers will automagically do the calculation of the values to go into the CV registers for the long address, as well as set the 'long address enable' bit in the other CV when asked to program a long address. It sounds like the CS2 does this (I don't have the items to try it out). It is always better to use such functionality when programming CVs as it saves a lot of mistakes, and programs the registers in the correct order (e.g. it is technically possible to program one half of the long address, program the long address enable bit, then have an error programming the other half of the long address, and now you don't know what the long address is set to, which can be confusing).