Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hhjg2y  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2017 14:54:31(UTC)
Hhjg2y

United States   

Dear members,

I am expanding my layout and will add a 60174 booster. My current set up has some sensor tracks using a Viessmann 5233 track occupancy detector (uses the third rail rather than the ground rail) to trigger switches and signals. Per the 60174 instructions the boosted layout needs to be isolated from the non-booster segment. My question is how to wire the sensing tracks on the boosted section. Do they need to be completely isolated? Can they share a common ground? If I use the S88 does that simplify the wiring or would it also need to be isolated?

Thank you for your inputs.

H
Offline Hhjg2y  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2017 22:13:10(UTC)
Hhjg2y

United States   
I figured the issue out. When installing the booster, the third rail is insulated while the ground rail is common between the boosted and un-boosted sections. This makes for easy connections to the Viessmann unit since the third rail is the detection rail rather than the ground rail. In the end, I ended up getting an optical sensor system from Azatax.com and an S88. Using the ground rail as the detector would probably require isolating the third rail and ground rail or use each half on separate circuits (there are third rail connectors for each half of the S88).