Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2010 19:44:51(UTC)
db ice3

hello everyone and merry christmas!

i have a cs2 and today i plugged it into my router and performed the latest software update. it all worked well.

but i have a question. i bought off ebay, (ugh!) 2 x mobile station 60652.

i plugged them into cs2 when it was turned off. then switched on cs2 and all seemed ok with cs2, but the mobile station plugged into the left front socket of cs2 had a flashing display, switching between "marklin" and then all the available symbols, switich back and forth approx every 2 secs.

the mobile station plugged into the right hand socket has nothing coming up on the display at all.

what could be wrong? - do the mobile stations and/or cs2 need to be "configured/told" that they are being connected together? as i know the mobile station can be used on its own with a power pack and connected to the special track connector and used to run a train on its own. the cs2 is selected as the "master" so i know that bits ok.

any help appreciated. - im off to berlin for new year, so if its faulty, then ill take it back to germany with me so that i can avoid paying postage on it!.

thanks.
Offline sokato  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2010 21:03:44(UTC)
sokato

db ice3 wrote:
... the mobile station plugged into the left front socket of cs2 had a flashing display, switching between "marklin" and then all the available symbols, switich back and forth approx every 2 secs.

Technically, this MS1 is working.

This is a known problem for MS1 with early firmware when connected to a CS2. Only way to get the MS1 firmware updated to get it to work with the CS2 is to connect to an old CS1 that itself has updated firmware. The CS1 can update the firmware on the MS1, apparently the CS2 cannot.

I have 2 MS1 that have this problem, don't know anywhere locally to get them updated.

Offline db ice3  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2010 21:38:19(UTC)
db ice3

hi sokato ...

many thanks for letting me know this ...

ill take the 2 x mobile station with me to berlin and ask the model shop there if they can update the ms1 for me!.

i didnt know about this problem and thought that maybe the ms1 's were faulty and i would have to thrown them in the bin!.
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2010 22:53:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would just get MS2 in place of the MS1s.. Nice to somebody else from Glasgow area.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline db ice3  
#5 Posted : 26 December 2010 06:25:38(UTC)
db ice3

im v tempted to take the ms1 s to berlin, get them tested to make sure they are ok and then ebay them ... and in meantime buy 2x ms2 .... do they just plug into central station front sockets and well ... just work?
Offline Ian555  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2010 10:34:24(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Jay,

Great to have another forum member from Scotland.

Ian.

Offline db ice3  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2010 16:53:13(UTC)
db ice3

cheers ian.
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 26 December 2010 21:39:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Depending on the size of your layout probably one MS2 would be enough. This lets you control three trains at the one time. The MS2 plugs into the CS2 and there is no reason why it will not work.
Most MS1 were faulty and Marklin ditched them along with the manufacturer.They are no longer available so I presume yours are second hand from an Ebay source. Trying to find somebody with a CS1 to update them will not be easy here but in Germany you might find someone who could help. ((CS1 like the MS1 is no longer available )
Treat your CS2 to a nice MS2 and you should not have any problems.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline db ice3  
#9 Posted : 26 December 2010 21:49:43(UTC)
db ice3

thanks dave - didnt realise most ms1 s were faulty! ... wish id known about that before!. i think rather than buying the ms2 s though, (does anyone know if they too might be faulty before i buy some ?) that i might just save my pennies and get a 2nd central station2 and plug the 2 together, that way i get to drive 4 trains, and have 1 of them just on points and signals control! Razz
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 26 December 2010 22:03:48(UTC)
H0

db ice3 wrote:
thanks dave - didnt realise most ms1 s were faulty!

Recently I said in another thread that 20 % of my MS1s were faulty while 50 % of my MS2s were faulty (and I got the MS2s two months ago).
I can't complain about the MS1s.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline db ice3  
#11 Posted : 26 December 2010 23:05:10(UTC)
db ice3

oh this is not looking very good for marklin controllers! ... why are they releasing faulty controllers for sale? - at 20% and 50% failure, its not going to do their "quality" reputation any good!

i think id better just wait and buy a 2nd central station instead - or lots of them faulty too? lol
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2010 00:09:13(UTC)
H0

db ice3 wrote:
at 20% and 50% failure, its not going to do their "quality" reputation any good!

I have 5 MS1s - one was repaired on warranty. All are older than 2 years now and operational.
I have 2 MS2s - one was replaced on warranty. Both are 2 months old.

So 20 % and 50 % are the percentages that apply to those I have - the figures presumably are not representative.

db ice3 wrote:
i think id better just wait and buy a 2nd central station instead - or lots of them faulty too? lol

When the 60213 was new, many had to go back to Göppingen.

I know two CS2 owners - one had his 60213 replaced by Märklin. So that makes 50 %, too (but again not representative).

An unhappy customer will tell 10 others, a happy customer will tell 2 others. Therefore items normally aren't as bad as the reports on fora make them look.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 27 December 2010 00:21:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Jay. The position with the MS1 is clear if you can find the previous threads. Most who had them no longer use them or at least the original. Some which were returned had to be replaced several times. The MS2 on the other hand as far as I know has little trouble. I think Tom had one which was faulty but having asked in a previous thread if anybody else had a faulty one there were no comments.
The CS2 is proving to be a good controller and as you have one yourself then you can be the judge. ESU who made the MS1 and CS1 are no longer supplying Marklin and also Marklin now appear to be using different decoders.
I have had my CS2 for more than two years without any trouble. There are threads where advice is sought on operating a CS2 but again owners are happy with the purchase.
A second CS2 is somewhat expensive and the MS2 should be fine. Why not buy one MS2 and try it.
There are other controllers from firms who do not make locos and track etc and they live off the back of the main manufacturers. ESU make ECOS to compete with Marklins controllers and most seem happy with it but my view is I need Marklin but I dont need ESU (and neither does Marklin)

Buy from a good internet dealer or if buying in Germany from one you can contact from here with any queries.
We are both in Glasgow so send me mail anytime you wish.

dave
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 27 December 2010 00:42:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I have 3 MS1 Controllers. One is almost 5 years old, the other 2, 2 and 3 years old. No Problems. Well one will not work as a slave but OK as a Master.

I had many CS1s over a 5 year Period. no problems up untill Maerklin did the upgrade. First one hardware upgraded but not the software, back to the factory, then I got another , faulty back to the factory, then they sent 2 so one back to the factory. Later while still under warranty faulty and back for a new one. Cost a fortune in Postage.

I got an early CS2 (60213). In the house 1.5 days. lasted about an Hour and ceased working. Went back did not get another . Then got an ECOS and sold the CS1

Sad Crying Crying
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 27 December 2010 13:23:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Looks like ECOS is the way to go. Forget Marklin as 50% dont work. ECOS is magic. The MS1 is fantastic dont buy an MS2 as half of them dont work.
Nev had bad luck with his CS2 but nobody should buy Marklin controllers unless it is a CS1 from ebay or an old MS1.

As for me I will stick with my CS2 and look for the day the old ESU stuff disappears.

Jay. The bashing of Marklin controllers is known by all who dont use them ... just ask an IB user or a Viessmann user (If you can find one) I dont know how long you have had your CS2 but if you like it and it works well which I am sure it will then do not hook up anything old to it and go for a CS2.
Look at some other threads and ask Ian or other UK users how they find their CS2 or MS2. They will give you an objective view .. good or bad. As for me if my CS2 did not work I would be the first to say.
In the interest of fairness I still have my MS1 from an old starter set and yep it does work ....but it does not go near my CS2.
Have a good trip and let me know how you get on.

dave
Offline db ice3  
#16 Posted : 28 December 2010 01:09:02(UTC)
db ice3

hey folks - well iv decided to pack my cs2 and my 2x ms1 into my bag and take them with me to berlin. ill find a marklin dealer and try to find out whats going on with the ms1 s. they dont weigh much - so they ll fit into my carry-on bag okay.

ill be making a cpl loco purchases too ... so hopefully they ll be willing to help me a bit with the controller issues.

ill let you know the outcomes.

Offline john black  
#17 Posted : 28 December 2010 15:54:30(UTC)
john black

United States   
nevw wrote:

Well one will not work as a slave but OK as a Master.

Oughta be the FD ... LOL
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Rwill  
#18 Posted : 20 December 2016 14:27:38(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Sorry if I am ages out of date but I notice on the Marklin Website the CS3 manual is in English as well at last.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline steventrain  
#19 Posted : 20 December 2016 15:24:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
German page 1- 39 and English page 40 - 80

>DOWNLOAD PDF<

Note: 38 page English only manual attached to BDNZ's post (#4).

Edited by moderator 20 December 2016 21:01:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#20 Posted : 20 December 2016 18:44:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Also check your email with English PDF 15MB from Brenda Hensleigh Marklin digital USA Club.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 20 December 2016 20:34:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Brenda Hensleigh from Marklin USA has emailed this morning a copy of the CS3 English Manual from Marklin, which was sent to Marklin USA from the factory in Göppingen.

Of course, we also have Minok's English translation of the CS3 manual, which you can find in this thread :- https://www.marklin-user...806-CS3-Manual---English

MANUAL_CS3_EN_12.16.pdf (11,208kb) downloaded 473 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 20 December 2016 20:45:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Merged the 2 CS3 manual topics.

Also made topic 'Sticky'.
Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 20 December 2016 21:57:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Excellent that Märklin has finally published the official version. Some changes... on thing on the startup pg 7 (de/en doc pg 46) is this new text:

"• Do not operate at an altitude over 2,000 meters /
6,500 feet.
• This device is to be powered only with SELV
(Safety Extra Low Voltage) corresponding to the
identification markings on the specification label."

So apparently, the CS3 is NOT to be used in Flagstaff, Arizona; Santa Fe, New Mexico and certainly not Leadville, Colorado.

I think this excludes most of Chile and much of norther India as well.

Edited by user 31 December 2016 03:21:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 20 December 2016 22:08:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Minok, I sent Brenda at Marklin USA a copy of your English translation of the CS3 manual. Brenda replied saying that they had "heard about the effort of that enthusiast to produce the manual. A passion for the hobby, that’s for sure."
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#25 Posted : 21 December 2016 01:46:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Brenda Hensleigh from Marklin USA has emailed this morning a copy of the CS3 English Manual from Marklin, which was sent to Marklin USA from the factory in Göppingen.

Of course, we also have Minok's English translation of the CS3 manual, which you can find in this thread :- https://www.marklin-user...806-CS3-Manual---English

Interesting - I am an Insider Club Member and Brenda has not emailed me anything about English CS3 documentation.

IMO Minok is still ahead on points - thanks for that awesome translation! Cool

Märklin as usual is behind on docs, I guess some things never change. Blushing

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#26 Posted : 21 December 2016 02:18:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Interesting - I am an Insider Club Member and Brenda has not emailed me anything about English CS3 documentation.

Jim, I think Brenda will have used the mailing list for distribution of the Marklin USA Digital Newsletter, rather than the Insider member list (she probably doesn't have that anyway).

You can sign up for the Digital Newsletter at the Marklin USA website (www.marklin.com), it is free to anyone who signs up.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#27 Posted : 21 December 2016 19:14:20(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Jim, I think Brenda will have used the mailing list for distribution of the Marklin USA Digital Newsletter, rather than the Insider member list (she probably doesn't have that anyway).

You can sign up for the Digital Newsletter at the Marklin USA website (www.marklin.com), it is free to anyone who signs up.

This is absolutely correct - the CS3 English Manual was sent to the USA Digital Newsletter recipients and sign up is free.

Brenda does have the Insider member list for North American members, but doesn't use that for digital mailings.

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline TEEWolf  
#28 Posted : 22 December 2016 19:30:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Merged the 2 CS3 manual topics.

Also made topic 'Sticky'.

So far so good. But unfortunately these members, who are using the possibility to "Watch this topic and receive notifications of activity via e-mail?" get not the information you have setted up.

Can't you do it that way, to close the older threads with a final note about opening a new thread for the new manual in English? Because the manual at all I think is insufficient and needs to be extended by the community.

Offline TEEWolf  
#29 Posted : 22 December 2016 19:37:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Excellent that Märklin has finally published the official version. Some changes... on thing on the startup pg 7 (de/en doc pg 46) is this new text:

"• Do not operate at an altitude over 2,000 meters /
6,500 feet.
• This device is to be powered only with SELV
(Safety Extra Low Voltage) corresponding to the
identification markings on the specification label."

So apparently, the CS3 is NOT to be used in Flagstaff, Arizona; Santa Fe, New Mexico and certainly not Leadville, Colorado.

I think this excludes most of Chili and much of norther India as well.

Well, Minok now you have to look for another skiing holiday area. Breckenridge, Co (9.600 ft elevation) is much too high for a CS 3. Laugh
Isn't it a nice joke?BigGrin
Offline Jabez  
#30 Posted : 31 December 2016 01:30:43(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Minok;535773
" Go to Quoted Post

What has the altitude, or the air pressure, got to do with it? As you say, it excludes a lot of places. Or is this one of those warnings like do not eat the plastic wrapping?

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Minok  
#31 Posted : 31 December 2016 09:17:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Is the touch screen new bs the CS2? That may function better or worse at various pressure levels.

Beyond that my best guess is US regulations that would require a separate certification to operate above 2,000 m, and a manufacturer not performing that cert is required to list said disclaimer.

My bet would be that lawyers are behind it. Likely American lawyers.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline steventrain  
#32 Posted : 07 September 2017 21:10:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin is starting delivery of 03092 Digital Book English edition.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline clapcott  
#33 Posted : 07 September 2017 22:30:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

Given that we have had 2 CS3 updates and 1 CS2 update since the German companion was delivered I am not expecting it to be current.
As such it will include misleading (if not wrong) information.

Usually these books are just an extension to product marketing, with a consolidation of the various MM articles of recent times.
Little attention is paid to even getting English screenshots.

I think it will be good to know what level the book panders to. It will probably have some worth as a reference tomb, but otherwise I have doubts about its usability.

Maybe we can start an errata already
- cover wording and CS3 screen not in english : https://www.maerklin.de/...in-details/article/03092
should read "Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3 : applicable to Vx.x.x : date ddMMMyyyy"
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline TEEWolf  
#34 Posted : 08 September 2017 00:22:12(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

Usually these books are just an extension to product marketing, with a consolidation of the various MM articles of recent times.

For me the book (German version) is more than a marketing extension. It is really a helpful, explaining book, although plenty of articles were already published in the Maerklin Magazine. But it would be interesting, if it was updated.

Example: decoder m 83 grey 60831 (page 176) in the German book version. The new decoder m 83 black 60832 is not listed.

Can you report please, if in the English book version the 60832 is listed? The difference is important, because the grey one does only understand the MM and DCC format, whereas the black one does understand the mfx format additionally.

Quote:
Little attention is paid to even getting English screenshots.

This would be very interesting, because at the CS 3 you have all menues, pictures, etc. translated.

Quote:

I think it will be good to know what level the book panders to. It will probably have some worth as a reference tomb, but otherwise I have doubts about its usability.

Maybe we can start an errata already
- cover wording and CS3 screen not in english : https://www.maerklin.de/...in-details/article/03092
should read "Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3 : applicable to Vx.x.x : date ddMMMyyyy"

Laugh yes urgently necessary, even for myself it would be helpful. Because can somebody please explain, what is a central station???Laugh

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Minok  
#35 Posted : 08 September 2017 01:58:13(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

For me the book (German version) is more than a marketing extension. It is really a helpful, explaining book, although plenty of articles were already published in the Maerklin Magazine. But it would be interesting, if it was updated.

Example: decoder m 83 grey 60831 (page 176) in the German book version. The new decoder m 83 black 60832 is not listed.

Can you report please, if in the English book version the 60832 is listed? The difference is important, because the grey one does only understand the MM and DCC format, whereas the black one does understand the mfx format additionally.

Well that is a shame. Märklin knew they are releasing a new set of decoders m83/m84 .. that those are not covered in the book seems like a sloppy mistake.

I agree that the book serves as a great intro/baseline for those getting in new that don't have a history of magazine articles to draw upon... its nice for no other reason than to have the information pulled together in a single volume that is bound. But to be out of date before the English version even gets to print is pretty stupid. Mad
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline steventrain  
#36 Posted : 17 September 2017 18:37:20(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
03092 English book will be arrive at some German dealers from tomorrow.

One was already in delivery to lokshop for my order.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline David Dewar  
#37 Posted : 18 September 2017 23:53:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Got mine today from Lippe. Not had chance to read it but as I still have my CS2 and will wait a bit for the CS3 no hurry. I see it is a paperback and not hardback which for the money is not great. However does look good quality.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#38 Posted : 19 September 2017 00:25:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Got mine today from Lippe. Not had chance to read it but as I still have my CS2 and will wait a bit for the CS3 no hurry. I see it is a paperback and not hardback which for the money is not great. However does look good quality.

Congratulations! I guess pages 99 - 102 are probably the first pages of interest for those who are switching from a prior digital controller equipment to the CS 3. Title of the topic: "simply changing" - no not trains in a central stationLaugh, only the controller.Smile
Offline siroljuk  
#39 Posted : 19 September 2017 14:45:23(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello.
I got today Märklin's new "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3".

Quite good book I have to say, it is just like I expect. page 78 - 93 I studied very carefully first and saw that now "story" about Routes is clearly written.

There is much overall information about how Märklin think about model train in digital environment. Much information which most of us know all ready but . . .
I like the way they have published it in this book.BlushingBlushing.

Devices within "Digital Model Train world" develop and change all the time. So do CS3, I am sure, this book will be old just in few years but still if you have CS3( or CS3Plus) you should uy this book and read it from cover to cover, then you know what are possibilities nowadays and you can read between rows a bit of future too.

I am sure that this book is worth the price ( about 20 euro)ThumpUp ThumpUp

Jukka

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline steventrain  
#40 Posted : 25 September 2017 19:25:12(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Arrive mine.Smile

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Minok  
#41 Posted : 25 September 2017 19:39:03(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I do find it somewhat comical that they are still using photos with M-Track in them though. It may make sense in context of supporting the entire system, but it does feel a bit 'odd'.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline TEEWolf  
#42 Posted : 25 September 2017 22:17:33(UTC)
TEEWolf

I do find it somewhat comical that they are still using photos with M-Track in them though. It may make sense in context of supporting the entire system, but it does feel a bit 'odd'.

Please do not underestimate the use of M-tracks still nowadays. I myself have a complete layout only by M-tracks in a size of 2,60 m * 1,30 m. I do not sell them because I use them for my holding sidings and my freight yard. It is also not comical how many people still use their CS 1 or MS 1. This is fine and not "a bit 'odd'". This equipment is still perfectly functioning and I do not want to change it. Why should I? But I would not buy additional used items, but perhaps you can give me good arguments for selling it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Minok  
#43 Posted : 25 September 2017 22:54:26(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Please do not underestimate the use of M-tracks still nowadays. I myself have a complete layout only by M-tracks in a size of 2,60 m * 1,30 m. I do not sell them because I use them for my holding sidings and my freight yard. It is also not comical how many people still use their CS 1 or MS 1. This is fine and not "a bit 'odd'". This equipment is still perfectly functioning and I do not want to change it. Why should I? But I would not buy additional used items, but perhaps you can give me good arguments for selling it.

I made no comments about CS1 or MS1.

The book in question is a guide to modern digital operations on Märklin but also a face of its marketing engine. I just expected the book to be used to show and market the newest technology - those things that would generate revenue for Märklin as a business, especially in light of the CEO's comments that the 2nd hand market does mean new sales from Märklin are not as high as they could be.

Nothing wrong with using M-track or older equipment. I never indicated it was or should be discouraged. I just indicated that in the newest 2017 release of the book focused on digital running with the CS3, it appears a bit anachronistic to show track that they stopped producing in 2001, some 16 years ago.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#44 Posted : 08 November 2017 16:00:33(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
You can still look at it from another point of view and think: "well, the guys at Märklin just care about their old clients and users by making M track and almost everything else compatible with the newest tech". That´s why my layout is M track and my locos are controlled by a MS2 and a MS3.

On the other hand, an eternal mistake from Märklin are their always poor instructions leaflets so It´s nice that they had published an English language CS3 manual.
Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline cwp_marklin  
#45 Posted : 14 November 2017 21:57:23(UTC)
cwp_marklin

United States   
Arrive mine.Smile

Would this book/manual be very useful to someone who is still using a CS2 (60215)?
Offline Minok  
#46 Posted : 15 November 2017 00:47:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I think so based on it being a good primer on what the various Märklin system parts are and how they can be used on a layout - that helps get a product line and usage overview even if you don't have a CS3.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline dickinsonj  
#47 Posted : 15 November 2017 01:23:48(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I think so based on it being a good primer on what the various Märklin system parts are and how they can be used on a layout - that helps get a product line and usage overview even if you don't have a CS3.

What he said. BigGrin

It might also give you some good ideas whether the extra capabilities of the CS3 are things that you are interested in and if you might want to upgrade from your CS2 to a CS3 or not.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Atebit  
#48 Posted : 23 April 2020 00:10:14(UTC)
Atebit

United States   
Any chance you could please repost English pages 40-80 as the original link is kaput?

German page 1- 39 and English page 40 - 80

>DOWNLOAD PDF<

Note: 38 page English only manual attached to BDNZ's post (#4).

Offline JohnjeanB  
#49 Posted : 23 April 2020 11:50:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
The latest English version of the CS3 manual is here http://streaming.maerkli...3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf
Cheers
Jean
Offline TEEWolf  
#50 Posted : 23 April 2020 19:09:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Atebit Go to Quoted Post
Any chance you could please repost English pages 40-80 as the original link is kaput?

Do not think that there is a broken link to a Maerklin PDF file for the CS 3 manual. Please be aware Maerklin is offering different links (at different websites!) to PDF file manuals for its CS 3. It makes sense because these links contain different constellations of languages and therefore sizes of the PDF file manual. You do not miss pages. You probabely just found a version which does not contain you are looking for. Here is a link to a Maerklin website, getting one language out of six in one file only.

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/downloads/cs3-updates/

All files are identical including page numbering. Only translated into a different language. Sometimes it is easier to handle a small PDF file with one language than six instead. Make your choice, please.

But I have not yet found an updated manual including software update 2.0. It is still the same standard as the CS 3 started in 2016.