Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2017 12:46:09(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hello everyone,

A while back I asked a question about reinserting the wheels of a marklin z br24 steamer. In the meanwhile I have collected some more marklin z steamers, and it stays confusing to me to know when the wheels are being placed back correctly. For some loco s I have looked online for pictures of the same loco, but sometimes the wheels are in such positions where I m wondering if the thing will even run correctly. So here is my question, how do you know when steamer wheels are put back correctly? Are they correctly when all rods have some free movement at any position of the rotation from the wheels, or is it a little more complicated?

Can anyone give me a clear answer how to know I have put them back correctly?

Thanks a lot Smile Kristof
Offline strummer  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2017 01:33:22(UTC)
strummer

United States   
I'm no expert (having only this week done my first Z scale steamer), but I just "eyeballed" the counterweights on the drivers; as long as they look to be at the same spot, relative to each other, I figure it's correct.

Plus, at that stage, there did indeed seem to be just a bit of "play", so I knew they weren't locked into position and that the drive train was (more or less) where it was supposed to be.

Dunno if that helped, but it worked for me... :)

Mark in Oregon

Edit: I would refer you to the thread about the "8885 BR 03", and read the last entry by"zscalehobo" Frank: "trail and error". But hey, if I can do it, anyone can!

Edited by user 13 August 2017 05:30:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline zscalehobo  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2017 19:50:09(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Start at the drive end and work your way to the front of the locomotive. One gear at a time, ensuring side rods are free to move as you place the cogs into place.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Artologic  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2017 17:02:16(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Thanks for the replies everyone,

@Strummer: I indeed know that they should about line up, but the issue is that it doesn t seem so exact in z scale for some locos. Since I m afraid to break or wear out stuff faster than intended, I was looking for advice, you never can be to sure :-). Glad to read it works out so well for you btw :-).

@Zscalehobo: Thanks for the how to, I still have an extra question about that, you say that the side rods need to be free to move when you place them, does that insure that they are correctly placed if they have some free movement, or do you still have to check that they don t "jam"at any point in the wheels rotation? I hope you understand the question, its hard to put it clearly.

I have added some photo s how my steamers currently are, do they look about right to you?

Br50:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Br86:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Br38:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I m not a great photographer sorry.

Kristof
Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 15 August 2017 19:07:16(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Yes, check every point of the rotation. Put some live wires onto the wheels quickly and if the wheels jam, check that no side rods are jammed nor the rods that drive into the front of the locomotive.

As to "do they look right," I cannot reach into the screen and grab each link to see if they are free! :D
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Artologic  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2017 19:23:12(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Thanks for clearifying! Finally I know how to do it, thanks a lot!

Lol, since you don t say that s terribly wrong, it s a start hahaha.

Kristof