Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2017 22:55:11(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Here is what I have been waiting for the last couple of weeks. I traded my 3 smaller live steamers for one nice, larger engine and my first entry into alcohol firing. Aster's Swiss 2-6-2T from the early 1980's. Hasn't been run in quite awhile, he included an Aster draft fan, needed to fire until the engines own steam blower can maintain the draft for the fire. Looks good on the mantel as well. So far I have 3 Marklin gauge 1 wagons to pull with the engine. From my research, these were mostly used in commuter service along with some local freight working. Correct passenger coaches are out of my budget for a couple more years right now. So a few freight wagons will have to do. Mike
20170615_164134.jpeg

Edited by user 03 July 2017 04:46:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2017 15:57:08(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Dwarfs my Marklin one. Beautiful!
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2017 23:17:44(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
She turned her wheels under her own power for the first time in years today. First try only showed a leak on the rubber tube that couples the fuel tank to the wick burner and a loose return crank on the left hand valve motion. Second attempt was much better, managed to get up enough pressure to run for several min while up on blocks. I suspect my fuel is stale as its over a year old. So I picked up a fresh can from the local home improvement store, and a mirror like a dentist might use so I can look up under to see if all 3 wicks are lighted. Mike
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2017 06:09:47(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Made my first runs with my Aster SBB Eb 3/5 Habersack locomotive today at the summer steam up held at Jim Sander's house in Brownsburg, Indiana. Hopefully the link will take you to a short video I made of a couple laps in the middle of one of my many runs today. Still having some steam raising problems but with some babying she will eventually stablize and run well for the duration of the boiler water. Ernie Noa, John and me traced it to some improper packing of the wicks, along with being packed way to tight. So I will be repacking wicks properly tomorrow. I had not messed with the wicks yet since trading for the engine. I did burn a complete quart can of fuel today, so some miles were put on the old girl. Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2017 23:36:18(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
This engine is available for sale if anybody would like to try thier hand at gauge one live steam. Would look good pulling some of the Marklin 3 axle DB coaches or if you can find period correct Swiss coaches to pull. Mike