Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CanadianKid  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2017 02:16:17(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Hello,
I have a few questions; sorry if they seem a little bit dumb but my knowledge and understanding in this area is lacking.
First, I realize that I have two primary options for wiring my turnout motors, one being direct (analog) and the other digital. I believe I will have to go digital, as I would like to control the turnouts from my secondary MS2. However, what are my best options here? Is there any difference between the Viessmann 5211 decoder and the Marklin M83 other than cost and few other digital bonuses for the more advanced users?
Also, I would like to install signalling in my layout, and at this point, I'm not so sure where to start as I would like the signals to be somewhat automatic (i.e. when a train switches tracks, the signals change also) but as far as wiring is concerned this seems to be opening a can of worms. If anyone has any suggestions as to where I should start reading, please inform me with the suggestions.
Thanks,
Matthew
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2017 04:16:44(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi Matthew,

Happy Canada 150!

If you haven't started buying the decoders I would suggest the Viessmann 5211 because it gives you the added option of powering the decoder using external power rather than using digital power like the Marklin K83 does.

For the signals it depends on whether you plan on going computer control with something like RocRail. In that case the computer controls the trains and the signals. The signals are there for show and do not control the trains as you describe. However, if computer control is not in your plans then I will let someone else address your question since as you say there is a lot of wiring involved.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline CanadianKid  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2017 03:44:10(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Hi Matthew,

Happy Canada 150!

If you haven't started buying the decoders I would suggest the Viessmann 5211 because it gives you the added option of powering the decoder using external power rather than using digital power like the Marklin K83 does.

For the signals it depends on whether you plan on going computer control with something like RocRail. In that case the computer controls the trains and the signals. The signals are there for show and do not control the trains as you describe. However, if computer control is not in your plans then I will let someone else address your question since as you say there is a lot of wiring involved.

Cheers
Peter

Thanks for the advice, and (albeit belated) Happy Canada Day to you also!
With the external power source for the Viessmann 5211, can I power it through a Marklin transformer then?
Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for reading as far as placement of signals on a layout/where specifically do they go? I'm working on some sort of track layout on SCARM and I would like to be able to produce a diagram for the general placement of signals.
Thanks,
Matthew
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2017 04:19:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: CanadianKid Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I have a few questions; sorry if they seem a little bit dumb but my knowledge and understanding in this area is lacking.
First, I realize that I have two primary options for wiring my turnout motors, one being direct (analog) and the other digital. I believe I will have to go digital, as I would like to control the turnouts from my secondary MS2. However, what are my best options here? Is there any difference between the Viessmann 5211 decoder and the Marklin M83 other than cost and few other digital bonuses for the more advanced users?
Also, I would like to install signalling in my layout, and at this point, I'm not so sure where to start as I would like the signals to be somewhat automatic (i.e. when a train switches tracks, the signals change also) but as far as wiring is concerned this seems to be opening a can of worms. If anyone has any suggestions as to where I should start reading, please inform me with the suggestions.
Thanks,
Matthew

Hello Mathew,

brand new and very recommendable this book about Maerklin digital:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

I got the German version and it helps me very often.

At the moment Maerklin has a series about his digital signals in the Maerklin Magazins in 2017. Here you find the articles for downloading. Unfortunately they are in German, but they have plenty of pictures and layouts for cabeling, positioning on layouts etc.

https://www.maerklin.de/...men-specials-und-serien/

regards

TEEWolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2017 04:33:12(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Yes for the Viessmann 5211, I use power off of my lighting transformer to supply the separate power. You just need to make sure that your grounds for the lighting circuit and for the track circuit (brown wires) are connected together somewhere. On the 5211 you have the connectors for the digital red and brown wires and a separate single connector for the external power source. You could also jumper the red digital wire to this connector, but that would defeat the benefit of conserving digital power.

The Marklin Signal Manual 0361 is rather dated but is a good source for basics on signal types, wiring and positioning. I believe there is a link to a pdf of this manual in one of the forum threads.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2017 17:55:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello Matthew,

couldn't find Maerklin 0361 but a signal book 0340 for free is available. Have a look here:

http://dermodellbahnblog...andbuch-anleitungen.html

It is a German side, but they offer books in English as a PDF download as well. Similar here:

https://www.download-han...%C3%A4rklin%20signalbuch

In my post #4 I listed links to Maerklin signals support. Because the Maerklin Magazin shall have an English version too (I never has seen it yet), then these signal articles must be available in English somewhere. Perhaps Bigdaddy NZ may help you to find the English versions BigGrin? (He has done it already before Blink). Thanks BD.

With Viessmann I cannot help, except sending you a link to their homepage in English. They have a signal book as well, but only in German. But why do you not write them an e-mail for an English version?

http://www.viessmann-mod...308&cat=&lang=en

They even give you their retailers in CDN:

http://www.viessmann-mod...?show=search&lang=en

regards
TEEWolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline CanadianKid  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:18:25(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Thanks for the information and useful links PMPeter and TEEWolf.
The information is very valuable to me. I am slowly working on learning German; my Mom can speak it pretty much fluently so I think I'll be able to get by with the German one.
Regards,
Matthew