Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mkbkiwi  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2017 09:26:06(UTC)
mkbkiwi

Australia   
Hello All,

I am about to start work on a new layout, and up until now I have used the old screw in bulbs to light my houses. Powered by an old Marklin blue box transformer.

For this new layout I am looking at replacing these light with 3mm yellow 3000mCd LEDs in the house and the same to make some street lights. As this layout will be for young kids to be around I want to invest in a new transformer I like the Faller one 180641 as is looks to do AC and DC. which I need as the layout will have a smoke gen in one house and more AC accessories to come.

I am not that knowledgeable on the LED and power side. There for I ask your help

Between the house and street lights there would be about 40 lights. I am wondering if that transformer would be able to handle that load on the 12dc or

I do have a wall plug pack that can run the LEDs use that for them and the faller transformer for the faller and other AC accessories

Cheers for your help

Kiwi
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2017 10:03:26(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
HI Kiwi,

Depends on the size of your layout.

For a normal size layout I think you would be all right with 3amp power supply.

For lighting up interior HO scale house buildings you would probably use max 3 led on a strip.

A single standard white led normally consumes 0.02A - so 1amps will power 50 led.

The LED strip you buy on Ebay normally has 300 or 600 LED (and can be cut in pieces of 3 LED).

A 300 LED strip draws around 2amps.

Remember single LED needs a resistor. LED strip has build in resistor and self adhesive tape on the back - hence why they are so easy to install.

You may want to install a dimmer. I run all my lighting a absolutely min voltage. If you use the 12V DV you will find many LEDS to bright and all your buildings will shine through everything.

Here is a cheap ebay DC supply with dimmer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...10a2d:g:o-QAAOSwEetV79P3

PS: it pays to do some comparison regarding LED and their colors. Personally I would fine yellow LED to yellow (it's not similar to the old bulbs). Instead I recommend warm white LED but even these have different lights depending on the manufacture.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline mario54i  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2017 10:26:39(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Did you already buy these 3000 mCd LEDs ?
3 mm 3000 mCd LEDs are VERY bright and light is emitted in a narrow beam, say 30 deg. or so. I'm wondering if this is the best choice for house or street lighting.
Usually to get a suitable brightness LED current is reduced to very low values, say 1 or 2 mA. Besides being all turned on together they can be grouped in 4-5 LED series, that further reduces power consumption.
I would expect that 40 LEDs in a proper electrical arrangement draw around 0.5 W at 12 V all together.

regards

Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2017 14:40:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: mkbkiwi Go to Quoted Post

I am not that knowledgeable on the LED and power side. There for I ask your help

Kiwi

Hi

I added a section on determining the size of the power supply to my web page about LED lighting at
http://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2017/04/led-lighting-circuits.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline mkbkiwi  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2017 11:51:11(UTC)
mkbkiwi

Australia   
Good Evening All,

Thank your great advice. I am continuing to look in to the LED which will now replace the older lights over time.

Cheers

Kiwi