Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2017 16:33:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Has anybody used the Grass master from Noch and does the grass actually stand up.

Would be grateful for any information as it is not cheap to buy if it does not work as advertised.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline French_Fabrice  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2017 20:19:07(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

I don't have a lot of experience as a "grass planter", but the use of Noch 60135 has provided me a very pleasant green area.
The grass stand up in a very nice manner.
See: https://www.marklin-user...ble-operation#post538333

I've used, as recommended by Noch, a nail, special glue (Noch 61130), and various grass length (max 6mm in my case) from Noch.

Before dropping the grass on the layout, I've tested it on a piece of wood on the workbench, to discover how to mix various tones and length.
I suggest you to do the same, to discover how to use this thing... It's very fun.

A word of caution: If you have some electronic devices close to the area where you wish to put grass, I suggest to disconnect them from the main wiring, just to avoid unwanted effects, because a 20KV electric field may generate some possible problem on such electronic devices.
Of course, the power must be shut down on the layout !

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2017 21:42:40(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi David,

I initially only had a cheap version from micromark and it worked ok for small areas.

When I started to do more landscaping I also invested in the Noch grass master and for me it was worth the investment.

Yes the grass will stand up, but the main advantages is that is much easier using than some of the cheaper version with an open top. You also get different size grates cover to screw on depending on your size of fibres.

I mainly you fibres from us maker Sifor as I found many of the normal European brands to colourful. Woodland Scenics also got good colours but unfortunately only in one short size.

Best result is to mix different colours and fibre length unless you are building a golf course. With Noch grass master you also get a small funnel for spot applications. This is really neat for applying the last layer. E.g. I normally mix a batch of light green, green and brownish and make this the base layer. Afterwards I spray the area with a mist of white glue and then slowly, using the funnel, apply a dark green on top in patches. Almost like painting.

Brgds Lasse

Edited by user 17 May 2017 02:15:21(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling mistakes!

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2017 22:56:56(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hi David,

I purchased one and it work as advertised and then some!

If you would like some pictures of the results let me know and I will take and post them for you.

Regards,

Michel
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 16 May 2017 23:03:02(UTC)
Minok

United States   
While I don't have the Noch Grassmaster, it is something I fully intend to get once I get to the stage of applying landscaping to the layout (I'm far from that at present).

The tool works quite well from the various YouTube reviews I've seen. The key is to
1) Disconnect any electronics (due to the high static voltages)
2) Make sure the glue base has enough water or the area is damp so that
3) The nail/pin/clip that provides the charge to the scene you are adding grass to can be applied
4) Use multiple types to get a more realistic depth feel, and follow up with hand inserted patches

The static charge differences will pull the static grass elements into the glue.

In fact, there's a great review of types of grasses, and techniques to get a good effect (using Peco products in this case, but the same rules apply with Noch products):

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2017 23:03:36(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
If anyone what's to know the best kept secret for the type of glue to use for the grass master, pm me and I'll let you know.

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 17 May 2017 00:01:55(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Many thanks all for your help. I will now order one. This is why this site is so good for information. Thanks again guys.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 17 May 2017 12:54:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
If anyone what's to know the best kept secret for the type of glue to use for the grass master, pm me and I'll let you know.

Michel

I would prefer to see it put in this thread so it is here as reference in the future when I eventually get around to going through the process.

As to Davids request for info, there are a number of tutorials around on the web about building one out of a metal sieve and an electronic fly swat. While these work, and are very cheap (someone in the UK sells such a unit for around £20) the problem is that the voltage from the electronic fly swat is only about 400V, so the static charge is not as great, so the grass doesn't stand up so well. If you are going to get serious with doing your scenery this way then get a proper unit.

Noch also have the instruction manual available for download..

I thought that Faller had a similar grass spreader, but cannot find it on their web site. Whoever it is that does have one under another brand, it may be the Noch one rebadged.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2017 13:11:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I would prefer to see it put in this thread......

Agreed! Surely there is no need to have secrets, especially when Juhan's objective in starting this website was to encourage the free exchange of Märklin and modelling knowledge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline hxmiesa  
#10 Posted : 17 May 2017 14:29:04(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Agreed! Surely there is no need to have secrets, especially when Juhan's objective in starting this website was to encourage the free exchange of Märklin and modelling knowledge.

Actually I could use harsher words about michelvr´s comment. I hope he is just joking...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline michelvr  
#11 Posted : 17 May 2017 15:07:53(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

Actually I could use harsher words about michelvr´s comment. I hope he is just joking...

All I've asked for was to send a pm for the answer. Now some ungrateful members leave unsavoury comments because they are too lazy to pm me to get the answer. Thanks!

And most definitely Auf Wiedersehen to you!

Michel
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 17 May 2017 20:05:23(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

All I've asked for was to send a pm for the answer. Now some ungrateful members leave unsavoury comments because they are too lazy to pm me to get the answer. Thanks!

And most definitely Auf Wiedersehen to you!

Michel

The point Michel is that this is a community of interest forum where knowledge should be shared openly relatively to the topic.
Having a post that says effectively "I've got some useful tip but won't post it so PM me" not only adds an extra step to getting the info, but doesn't provide the info to all who come across this thread.

What was the point of the PM request and not just posting the tip?
Is it the recipe of white PVA glue thinned a bit with water and amended with wall paper paste (to extend the working time and viscosity of the mix) and a bit of brown latex paint to give it color?

Or the thinned liquid latex solution?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 17 May 2017 23:41:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks again guys. I have ordered the Grass master today along with various packets of grass. My main reason for the thread was just to confirm that it was worth buying and that does appear to be the case.
As I said above this site is fantastic for information and always will be. It is of course helpful if the information is available to all who may want to look at the thread in the future.

I will come back and let anybody who reads the thread again know how I get on.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 18 May 2017 18:50:44(UTC)
Goofy

Here is some pictures.
Before i add blended turf (the plastic bottle you see) on the ground first i paint brown color on the plaster.
This to make darker plaster which are white color.

DSC_0008_427.JPGDSC_0007_426.JPGDSC_0012_431.JPGDSC_0009_428.JPGDSC_0010_429.JPGDSC_0011_430.JPGDSC_0013_432.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2017 23:39:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks Goofy. Very nice work.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 20 May 2017 13:25:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
All I've asked for was to send a pm for the answer.

And all we ask you to do is to post the information in the forum, after all that is what the forum is here for. If you don't want to publish it publicly then don't mention it!

Now some ungrateful members leave unsavoury comments because they are too lazy to pm me to get the answer.

Are you including me as a Moderator in that comment? I didn't think I was being 'unsavoury' as you put it, I just politely asked you to consider posting the info. It has nothing to do with being lazy!
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 30 May 2017 17:06:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Said I would come back on my purchase of a Noch Grass master. Original topic was locked.

It is quite good and most of the time the results are excellent with the grass standing up. I also bought the smaller nozzle for more difficult areas but found that this did not give as good results. Sticking nails in the layout to connect to the clip is not exactly state of the art stuff.

Happy with the purchase and thanks for the comments in the other thread which were helpful. Noch do produce some good stuff although maybe a bit expensive.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 30 May 2017 17:50:39(UTC)
Goofy

I have the old model and it still works good.
But i can only use maximum 6 mm high grass.
But the result is excellent.
However i recommended Noch grass glue nr.61131
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 30 May 2017 18:20:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Merged David and Goofy's posts back into this original thread. Topic now unlocked.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz