Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline anoden  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2013 22:41:08(UTC)
anoden

Canada   
Hi there

I am based in Ottawa Ontario Canada

I am looking to see if there are any other local Marklin folks here in Ottawa or in Ontario whom may be interested in meeting or even forming a club

Focus will on fun and helping each other with Marklin trains etc

Also to help folks with setting up their layout, digital systems and computer control

Let me know and we can then go from there

Cheers
Andrew
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by anoden
Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2013 23:06:38(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
I'm in the GTA. I think there's a couple of us on here.
Offline Gavin  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2013 23:13:49(UTC)
Gavin

Canada   
I'm just north of Toronto in the Barrie area.

Gavin
Offline jcrtrains  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2013 10:41:42(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
GTA as well. get together would be a good idea.
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2013 23:17:52(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Anoden:

The idea is good. I am not sure how easy it would be to meet when we don't live in the same city.

I live in Toronto, so the GTA area would be fine. But Ottawa is a long way from Toronto.

Nevertheless, one can certainly "meet" on the forum to discuss local problems and issues.

For example, one issue is Marklin dealers. I only know of one in Ontario, it's in Toronto. Any others anyone is aware of?

Finally, as I am writing, I am wondering if there is any concern from the other users of this forum if we were to discuss matters that may be too "local".

In any event, let's play with this idea and see what happens.

Happy New Year to all!

BigGrin
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2013 23:29:44(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi Andrew,

I'm in Montreal and would love to see a club anywhere not too far away.
Keep me posted.

In fact it would be great to have a chapter here too...
... but starting a club and finding space can be work, depending on your goals.

Pierre Gillard in Montreal has an annual Train party at his house... but something monthly at least would be great!

Cheers and peace in 2014
Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2013 23:51:19(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Andrew,

I live in Barrie, Ontario. I more or less stopped with the hobby due to reasons that are personal but your idea is wonderful and I would like to be apart of it if I may.

Michel
Offline Gavin  
#8 Posted : 01 January 2014 02:10:29(UTC)
Gavin

Canada   
Hi Baggio,

I only know two shops in Toronto that carry Marklin. West End Trains at bottom of Kippling Ave. and John's Photo and Hobby on the Danforth.

Gavin
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 01 January 2014 07:19:30(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you, Gavin.

Now that I think about it, there is also Walthers that sells Marklin. Their prices are much higher than Westend's prices, however, unless they are on sale, a good sale.

You can get them through Credit Valley Railroad in Mississauga at par with US dollars.

Offline Gavin  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2014 18:07:12(UTC)
Gavin

Canada   
I have also used Euro Rail Hobbies in Langley B.C. The prices are good and there is no currency exchange to worry about. Only thing is a minimum order value to ship, which isn't hard to do :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gavin
Offline baggio  
#11 Posted : 01 January 2014 19:02:27(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Gavin, Happy New Year. BigGrin :

How much does it cost to have a single loco shipped to Ottawa from Euro Rail in BC, $20.00?.
Offline PMPeter  
#12 Posted : 01 January 2014 19:16:53(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Happy New Year from BC.

While Eurorail Hobbies has a minimum $45 order requirement, they ship at actual Canada Post rates with no handling charge. So if you know the approximate weight and size of the locomotive package you can get a good estimate on the Canada Post "Find a Rate" link.

Cheers
Peter

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e2s1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 01 January 2014 20:49:22(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I visit John's Photo (or whatever it is called today) and Westend most times that I am in Toronto. Most of the time, it is just to see what they have in stock. Most of my pre-orders go through Eurorailhobbies or through European or US dealers. There is at present, no authorized Maerklin dealer in Montreal.

If I am looking for a single small item or two, I usually check with the usual Canadian sources or US sources like Euromodeltrains, Hartmann, Helmuts, AJCKids as the DHL shipping rate of almost 40EUR makes ordering a small order from Germany prohibitive.

Regards

Mike C
Offline PMPeter  
#14 Posted : 01 January 2014 21:42:30(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I visit John's Photo (or whatever it is called today) and Westend most times that I am in Toronto. Most of the time, it is just to see what they have in stock. Most of my pre-orders go through Eurorailhobbies or through European or US dealers. There is at present, no authorized Maerklin dealer in Montreal.

If I am looking for a single small item or two, I usually check with the usual Canadian sources or US sources like Euromodeltrains, Hartmann, Helmuts, AJCKids as the DHL shipping rate of almost 40EUR makes ordering a small order from Germany prohibitive.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike - I'm not sure where in Europe you are buying your stuff from, but 40EUR seems excessive. Try Modellbahnsho-lippe. You can buy a lot of small items and not exceed their starting shipment rate for Canada which is a lot less than 40EUR.

Cheers
Peter
Offline Dreadnought  
#15 Posted : 04 January 2014 04:43:19(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I like the idea of meeting. Given the distances, and the weather that may not be so easy. Roads around here have been a mess for a week now.

I have used Westend Trains. I have found Mike, the owner, to be excellent. Once I found a special price on the Lolo. I called him and he matched it. He has been excellent on repairs and warranty work. He is an excellent source for advice. He has been good on shipping too. All in all I have been very pleased with his efforts on my behalf.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 04 January 2014 05:01:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike - I'm not sure where in Europe you are buying your stuff from, but 40EUR seems excessive. Try Modellbahnsho-lippe. You can buy a lot of small items and not exceed their starting shipment rate for Canada which is a lot less than 40EUR.

Cheers
Peter

It is possible to send a single car/coach or parts as a normal letter, which costs less than a Paket.
There are limitations as the coverage for damage to such packages are much less than an insured packet.
For a 25 EUR used coach I am willing to take a chance on a regular letter rate package.
For a more costly model, it is preferable to opt for the more expensive option with coverage.
A 30cm coach, locomotive box or such would result in at least one box dimension being over 30cm (12") which substantially increases the cost of shipping and moves you from a simple package to the more expensive options only.
Some postal services may go for total dimension (L+W+H) and overlook the 12" limit, but not all.

Regards

Mike C
Offline baggio  
#17 Posted : 04 January 2014 06:35:41(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Meeting may be an option, but has its own complications:

1. Where do we meet? At someone's home? In a restaurant? In a park? In a city more or less central to everyone?

2. Once you meet, what do you do or can you do? This would depend upon where you meet.

3. Also, how long is the meeting intended to last? If it's a couple of hours in a central location, it may be OK for a one-day excursion, but otherwise one would need to stay in a hotel at a very substantial cost.

For now, I would suggest we keep it simple, we discuss issues which need not exclude anyone in the forum but that can be of particular (not exclusive) interest to those of us who live in Ontario or Quebec.

In this respect, I have a question, does anyone have any locos or coaches one may want to sell at a good price? I an interested in Italian locos (Marklin or Rivarossi). I am not sure if this forum can be used for this, however.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Offline Gavin  
#18 Posted : 04 January 2014 16:51:51(UTC)
Gavin

Canada   
In regards to sending by regular mail, I think the best you would be able is regular parcel rate.

I have found that with padded envelopes that don't fit through the gauge slot; about 2cm (3/4") wide; the post office uses, it goes regular parcel. It is a slower delivery and there is no tracking, it gets to its destination when it gets there. Depending where it is coming from - going to; could be from a week to a month.

Gavin
Offline anoden  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2014 00:54:13(UTC)
anoden

Canada   
Hello everyone
Happy New Year
Well I am glad to see that there is some interest.

I would be happy to start a forum or prepare a simple newsletter and create an Ontario Marklin club if that would be of interest?

Also we could look at an annual or semi annual weekend get together probably in the Toronto area, we would book a hotel or small conference room and set up some track to both run trains and do some technical topics training

Not sure on this forum how I can securely share my email address but if anyone can tell me that will be good and then I can start something

In terms of stores
I visit Johns hobby in Toronto
Also use Eurorail hobbies in Bc

Cheers
Andrew
Offline Webmaster  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2014 22:44:18(UTC)
Webmaster

We do have a club section in the forum if you wish to use this forum to have club stuff published.

Just trying to make things easy also for clubs related to this forum... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline anoden  
#21 Posted : 06 January 2014 01:51:38(UTC)
anoden

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
We do have a club section in the forum if you wish to use this forum to have club stuff published.

Just trying to make things easy also for clubs related to this forum... Smile

Thanks
How do I set up a club forum? Within this users net

Andrew
Offline Webmaster  
#22 Posted : 06 January 2014 22:34:19(UTC)
Webmaster

You tell me to set it up... BigGrin

It will be a subforum in this "clubs" section just as Marklin club UK, Faller AMS Sweden & MMRCSA...

Tell me the name you wish for it. BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#23 Posted : 06 January 2014 22:49:33(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Andrew,

I'm in Montreal and would love to see a club anywhere not too far away.
Keep me posted.

In fact it would be great to have a chapter here too...
... but starting a club and finding space can be work, depending on your goals.

Pierre Gillard in Montreal has an annual Train party at his house... but something monthly at least would be great!

Cheers and peace in 2014
Mark

I can organize parties every month, if you want ! BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Pierre.
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#24 Posted : 06 January 2014 22:59:54(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

1. Where do we meet? At someone's home? In a restaurant? In a park? In a city more or less central to everyone?

2. Once you meet, what do you do or can you do? This would depend upon where you meet.

3. Also, how long is the meeting intended to last? If it's a couple of hours in a central location, it may be OK for a one-day excursion, but otherwise one would need to stay in a hotel at a very substantial cost.

For now, I would suggest we keep it simple, we discuss issues which need not exclude anyone in the forum but that can be of particular (not exclusive) interest to those of us who live in Ontario or Quebec.

In this respect, I have a question, does anyone have any locos or coaches one may want to sell at a good price? I an interested in Italian locos (Marklin or Rivarossi). I am not sure if this forum can be used for this, however.

My suggestion : an Eastern Canada club or forum group. We are not a lot in the area, so it would be interesting to cover more than a city area such as Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal.

We can then organize gatherings and meetings each time in a different city once or twice a year.

Pierre.
Offline anoden  
#25 Posted : 08 January 2014 01:38:29(UTC)
anoden

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PierreGILLARD Go to Quoted Post

My suggestion : an Eastern Canada club or forum group. We are not a lot in the area, so it would be interesting to cover more than a city area such as Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal.

We can then organize gatherings and meetings each time in a different city once or twice a year.

Pierre.

Hello everyone
First. For the webmaster I would like to request can we set up a club forum?

I am going to propose the club name to be "Marklin users club of Eastern Canada"

At the commencement we have potential members from GTA, Barrie, Ottawa and Montreal

I will prepare a user club framework with a proposal on the aims, expectations of the group and post once we have the forum live

I am not sure how access to the group will be administered but I am sure the webmaster will guide us through

More to follow

Best regards
Andrew
Offline bmcrae  
#26 Posted : 08 January 2014 20:59:02(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Happy New Year from BC.

While Eurorail Hobbies has a minimum $45 order requirement, they ship at actual Canada Post rates with no handling charge. So if you know the approximate weight and size of the locomotive package you can get a good estimate on the Canada Post "Find a Rate" link.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,

It's nice to see another BC resident on the forum! Cool

Brian
Offline srielau  
#27 Posted : 27 January 2014 18:32:47(UTC)
srielau

Canada   
I just moved from the GTA to Ottawa a month ago.
Have a set of 5 engines, some of them over 60 years old and I just now started rebuilding my H0 layout.
Nothing digital here. :-)

Used to go to John's Photo which I liked quite a bit.
So seems like no luck for a Maerklin carrying store in Ottawa?
What stores can you recommend for generic H0 scale modeling, carrying e.g. Faller or Vollmer?

Cheers
Serge
Offline mike c  
#28 Posted : 27 January 2014 21:09:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: srielau Go to Quoted Post
I just moved from the GTA to Ottawa a month ago.
Have a set of 5 engines, some of them over 60 years old and I just now started rebuilding my H0 layout.
Nothing digital here. :-)

Used to go to John's Photo which I liked quite a bit.
So seems like no luck for a Maerklin carrying store in Ottawa?
What stores can you recommend for generic H0 scale modeling, carrying e.g. Faller or Vollmer?

Cheers
Serge

Serge,

there is a guy named Charles Belair who has some kind of Euro Train operation in the capital area.
For buildings, etc, you can try Udisco in Montreal or Eurorailhobbies in BC
There is probably at least one shop in Ottawa or area that stocks at least some generic looking Faller or Vollmer kits

Regards

Mike C

Offline Oliver nagel  
#29 Posted : 27 January 2014 21:37:11(UTC)
Oliver nagel

United States   
I live in western New York ,but born in Toronto . I would be interested in meeting the rest of you.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver nagel
Offline PMPeter  
#30 Posted : 27 January 2014 21:38:18(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bmcrae Go to Quoted Post
Happy New Year from BC.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,

It's nice to see another BC resident on the forum! Cool

Brian

Hi Brian,

Not too many of us out here considering we probably have one of the largest North American Maerklin dealers in the neighbourhood!

Peter
Offline baggio  
#31 Posted : 28 January 2014 02:04:22(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I would suggest you simply ask Westendtrains.comin Toronto to send you what you need.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Crazy Harry  
#32 Posted : 27 April 2014 05:33:07(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Greetings!

I'm also in the GTA area and am currently getting back into the Marklin scene. Took my childhood layout apart about 25 years ago and successfully tested several items a few weeks ago - not bad for 50 year old components! Now the questions are: Do I stick with analog and M-track or go all out and start over with C-track and maybe even go digital?

I also have Marklin Metal and Elex construction sets from the late '60's.

Harold
Offline michelvr  
#33 Posted : 27 April 2014 23:25:15(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Just to let everyone know I'm getting back into the swing of things!

I live in Barrie, Ontario. If anyone wants to see what I am doing with Marklin you're invited to come over!! Barrie is only 50 minutes north of Toronto and I am sure the trip will be well worth it!! Guaranteed not to disappoint!

Michel
Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#34 Posted : 16 July 2015 06:51:02(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   
Originally Posted by: anoden Go to Quoted Post
Hi there

I am looking to see if there are any other local Marklin folks here in Ottawa or in Ontario whom may be interested in meeting or even forming a club

Also to help folks with setting up their layout, digital systems and computer control

Cheers
Andrew

Hello. I like the idea of a Marklin Club in Ontario. It was what I was looking for. My name is Bernd and I live in Kitchener Ontario. I hope the idea becomes reality.

Bernd :o)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bernd Kunzler
Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#35 Posted : 17 July 2015 06:59:03(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   
Hello Bernd here again. I noticed this group called ETE European Train Enthusiasts. Looks like all the chapters are in USA. None in Canada. Not sure how many members all these chapters have. But this could be a model for a potential Ontario or Canada group. Or maybe we could become a chapter in the ETE? This group looks very interesting.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bernd Kunzler
Offline baggio  
#36 Posted : 17 July 2015 14:11:35(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Can we get some information on ETE? Maybe we can write to them to see what is involved in joining them as a chapter here in Canada. Quebec is not far from Toronto, so we should make it a Canadian chapter.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#37 Posted : 17 July 2015 14:52:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Sounds to me like you could start an informal group and have meetings like the UK guys do.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#38 Posted : 17 July 2015 18:19:33(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   
Can we get some information on ETE? Maybe we can write to them to see what is involved in joining them as a chapter here in Canada. Quebec is not far from Toronto, so we should make it a Canadian chapter.

On the ETE website there is a contact person with information about starting a chapter.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bernd Kunzler
Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#39 Posted : 18 July 2015 07:22:46(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   
Originally Posted by: anoden Go to Quoted Post
Hi there

Cheers
Andrew

Here is what my layout looks like.

https://www.facebook.com...7&type=1&theater
Offline baggio  
#40 Posted : 18 July 2015 14:40:03(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I can't see your layout, Bernd, maybe because I don't have access to Facebook. Any chance you can put one of the links in Jpeg/Youtube style?

Tx.
Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#41 Posted : 18 July 2015 16:21:54(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   
I can't see your layout, Bernd, maybe because I don't have access to Facebook. Any chance you can put one of the links in Jpeg/Youtube style?

Tx.

DSC_000001.JPGDSC_0046.JPGDSC_0049.JPGDSC_0048.JPGDSC_0057.JPGDSC_0051.JPGDSC_0050.JPGDSC_0047.JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bernd Kunzler
Offline Bernd Kunzler  
#42 Posted : 18 July 2015 16:36:37(UTC)
Bernd Kunzler

Canada   

Tx.

Do you have pictures of your layout?

Offline baggio  
#43 Posted : 06 September 2015 00:41:51(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
You tell me to set it up... BigGrin

It will be a subforum in this "clubs" section just as Marklin club UK, Faller AMS Sweden & MMRCSA...

Tell me the name you wish for it. BigGrin

Hello, Webmaster:

We now have a name for the club in the Toronto area: Model Trains Fun Club

Can we have the discussion in the thread "Starting a Toronto/Ontario Train Club" moved here under the name of the club?

Thanks.

BigGrin

Your wish is our command.
Offline Oliver nagel  
#44 Posted : 08 January 2016 01:04:17(UTC)
Oliver nagel

United States   
I got this from the New York State ETE today Cool
Exhibitor invite GBTS 2016.pdf (110kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver nagel
Offline baggio  
#45 Posted : 08 January 2016 01:32:54(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I will be in Italy or on the plane back from Italy.

Also, May 8 is Mother's Day....
Offline Gusaya45  
#46 Posted : 14 January 2016 06:40:11(UTC)
Gusaya45

Canada   
Thank you, Gavin.

Now that I think about it, there is also Walthers that sells Marklin. Their prices are much higher than Westend's prices, however, unless they are on sale, a good sale.

You can get them through Credit Valley Railroad in Mississauga at par with US dollars.

best dealer in Canada :westendtrains , michael very good costumer service, prices are all same like rolex,but again westend make my happy.
i move to toronto 5 years ago from florida ,i buy some staff (from 20 year i am marklinist) in miami dealer some in forlauderdale they have 0 costumer service. they just sold the product an then you figured how (example) connect signals light with signal module.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gusaya45
Offline Mike chasz  
#47 Posted : 26 May 2017 04:12:08(UTC)
Mike chasz

Canada   
IMG_5912.JPG
Originally Posted by: Gusaya45 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, Gavin.

best dealer in Canada :westendtrains , michael very good costumer service, prices are all same like rolex,but again westend make my happy.
i move to toronto 5 years ago from florida ,i buy some staff (from 20 year i am marklinist) in miami dealer some in forlauderdale they have 0 costumer service. they just sold the product an then you figured how (example) connect signals light with signal module.

I have to agree. Being a (not trains) retail owner myself I am sensitive to how others run their business and West End is great. Have had little contact with Mike, but have spent much time with his dad Klaus who has been extremely helpful.
Moving on to the topic of a club here in the GTA, count me in!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mike chasz
Offline baggio  
#48 Posted : 26 May 2017 05:13:14(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Mike:

Welcome to the Toronto Model Trains Fun Club that is a bit dormant but screams to be revived with keen new members.

Here is the link: Toronto Model Trains Fun Club

Who are the two people in the picture? I am assuming that the man is Mike's father, but the lady? Your wife?

Blushing One correction: When I said that CVR sells the Marklin gear at prices at "par" with US dollars - I meant you only add the exchange, about 37%.

I realize now that my statement was possibly understood to mean that you pay in CAD$ the same number of dollars as US dollars so that if you pay in the US $100.00 you would pay here CAD $100. No, you pay about CAD $137.00. No shipping charges.
Offline Mike chasz  
#49 Posted : 26 May 2017 12:45:01(UTC)
Mike chasz

Canada   
Hi, Mike:

Welcome to the Toronto Model Trains Fun Club that is a bit dormant but screams to be revived with keen new members.

Here is the link: Toronto Model Trains Fun Club

Who are the two people in the picture? I am assuming that the man is Mike's father, but the lady? Your wife?

Blushing One correction: When I said that CVR sells the Marklin gear at prices at "par" with US dollars - I meant you only add the exchange, about 37%.

I realize now that my statement was possibly understood to mean that you pay in CAD$ the same number of dollars as US dollars so that if you pay in the US $100.00 you would pay here CAD $100. No, you pay about CAD $137.00. No shipping charges.

Ouch (he said kiddingly)! The pic is of my wife and Klaus from West End Trains.
And thanks for the welcome.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mike chasz