Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DV  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2017 08:57:38(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Just received three mfx semaphore signals 70392, unpacked one, read all the instructions, including the single sheet stating that CS2 with 4.0 update has to be used for registration.

Checked the CS2 and, yes, it is above the 4.0, 4.1.2(3) in fact.

UserPostedImage

Followed the instructions

1. set the dip switches for address 35 (on 1, 2 & 6) before connecting to CS2 (as per instructions)
2. Connected the the brown and red wire to the two pin connection on the rear of the signal.
3. Connected to the track which was connected to the programming connection (as stated in the instructions)
3. Began the registration process, and voila, there it was registered (after that registered the other two signals....boy I'm on a rollThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Did a test, semaphore went up then down

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

First problem I encountered was which three pin connection do I use for the two red wires that control the current flow?

Looked at the diagram in the instructions and decided that it had to be the one next to the red/brown connection (Märklin instructions are so crappy).

UserPostedImage

Insulated the track pieces as shown and the wired up as instructed.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then the trail began.

First with semaphore down, in stop (red) position.

Woohoo it worked, the loco stopped.

Then with the semaphore up, in go (green) postion.

CrapCursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing the loco stopped.

Scratched head, trying to figure out what I had done wrong.

Ahhh, maybe I used the wrong three pin connection at the rear of the signal

Eventually disconnected the two red wires (why do Märklin make these connections so fiddly and delicateCursing Cursing Cursing) and connected to the other three pin connection.

Double crap Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing, it stopped again in the go (green) position.

Why wasn't the current flowing thriugh when signal was up/go/greenConfused Confused Confused Confused Confused ????

Re-read the instructions (about three timesCursing Cursing Cursing) and noticed some instructions on CV, hopping that might give me an idea of why I'm having this problem.

Went to the CV and only 6 possible programming could be done (so much for setting Slow Movement CV39), and no wiser on what was causing my problems

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I am at my wits end, can someone please advise on what I have done wrong, or whether I'm trying to do mfx signals on a CS2 that can't be done.

HelpCrying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2017 09:40:10(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
The instruction lack a small detail: they assume the right track is connected to power (a feeder track not showing).
If there is no power at the right track then there will be no power at the signal even if it is green.

Could this be the problem?

That wonderful CV screen has a "+" button that allows you to add an entry for CV 39 or any other CV you may ever need.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline DV  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2017 10:06:05(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
The instruction lack a small detail: they assume the right track is connected to power (a feeder track not showing).
If there is no power at the right track then there will be no power at the signal even if it is green.

Could this be the problem?

That wonderful CV screen has a "+" button that allows you to add an entry for CV 39 or any other CV you may ever need.

Thanks for the quick replyThumpUp

Not too sure what you mean by highlighted in the quote above.

Power to the test track is provided by red/brown wire connected under the track as normal (that track piece is connected to the test track at one end) and the brown/red wire is connected to the correct power outlet of the CS2.

Or are you saying that it needs a continuous loop connection?
Dusan V
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2017 10:21:40(UTC)
H0

Power to the test track is provided by red/brown wire connected under the track as normal (that track piece is connected to the test track at one end) and the brown/red wire is connected to the correct power outlet of the CS2.
Three sections of track, let's call them left, centre, right (as shown on the photo).
Is the centre rail of the right track directly connected to the CS2?
When wired as shown, power for the centre section comes from the right section - if that one has power.
The left section has power and the signal gets its power from there.

You need a power feed for the left track (before the signal) and for the right track (after the signal).
It would probably work if the signal was in a closed oval, providing power though the track.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline DV  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2017 13:19:04(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Thank you, I will try that tomorrow....it's nearly bed time hereBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Dusan V
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2017 22:17:37(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
.... read all the instructions, including the single sheet stating that CS2 with 4.0 update has to be used for registration.

The reference to a CS2 prerequisite firmware version is for "mfx" registration capability. This is an optional alternative to manually configuring the device.

The "mfx" option for registration can be initiated using the "mfx" symbol in the bottom corner of the keyboard when in service mode.

Included with the 4+ version was a factory CV configuration file (see comment late)

Quote:
3. Began the registration process, and voila, there it was registered

As per photo of keyboard, you have not used the mfx registration process , but the manual variant

Devices registered using mfx will be seen with a small "m" in the top corner of the icon on the keyboard

Quote:
Went to the CV and only 6 possible programming could be done (so much for setting Slow Movement CV39),

This is default set of values shown when first accessing the CV screen (manual configuration - not "mfx" registration) and is normal before you load the CV profile (marklin or your own)

You are quite able to add a line for CV39
Or
If you click the icon of a folder with the up arrow, you may load the "70xxx_dcc_Formsignale.cs2 file. This will pre-populate the CV list with names etc.

Alternatively, if you had used the "mfx" registration method, then accessing the Configuration tab when in service mode would have read the configuration from the signal decoder.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2017 00:03:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

You need a power feed for the left track (before the signal) and for the right track (after the signal).
It would probably work if the signal was in a closed oval, providing power though the track.

The PDF is in color (not that this helps much) and even there its not clear, but can be reasoned out if you make some assumptions.

The middle 2 pin port is a switch controlled connection that connects those 2 red wires - one of which goes to your isolated section, the other which goes to where you need to pull the digital track power. If that other place doesn't have digital track power (ie if the track power feed is on one side only, but not running through to the other side due to the isolated section, and no loop existing in the track) then you have only connected a dead central rail to the isolated section.

Capture.PNG

The signal is connecting the central power feed from the right end to to the central power feed in the isolated section in the diagram. (not via the control signal taken from from the central power feed from the left side.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline DV  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2017 02:06:24(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Thank you everyone, gonna be a busy day with all these recommendations/suggestions/instructions to doThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Stay tuned
Dusan V
Offline DV  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2017 09:25:52(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Huge success, again many thanks to all.

All three signals are now mfx registered, very simple to do when it is explained to you. Either I'm blind (or stupid) or couldn't understand the provided instructions, but nowhere did I pick up on registering the signals with the mfx button.

And, yes, I am stupidCrying Crying Crying , of course on a test track you require power on either end of the track...dohh!!!!

Once I realised this, and provided power on both ends, the signals worked marvelouslyThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Still to work out the CV situation, but that can be on another dayBigGrin BigGrin
Dusan V
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DV