Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rugauger  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2017 22:10:49(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
My little Kof 36819 had its first run today. At first, it registered on the MS2 just fine, and all the functions etc. worked. I then selected another loco before wanting to go back to the Kof by picking it from the list. This is where it all went wrong - the MS2 refused to pick the loco from the list. It now won't even register at all.

Things I've tried:

*restart the MS2 (20+ times)
    *delete the loco from the list
    *reset the MS2 to factory settings (i.e. delete everything)

I also have a 6021 but the loco does not appear to respond to ANY of the 80 addresses.
At the moment it only runs in analog mode.

Help! Does anyone know the default MM address for this loco? Or should I try and use DCC only? I don't have a CS or a Lokprogrammer or any other digital equipment, just the 6021 and the MS2.

Richard
Richard
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2017 23:28:38(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rugauger Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know the default MM address for this loco?

Ref: http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/36819_betrieb.pdf
factory address = 23

Are other locos still able to be controlled by the MS2?
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
H0
Offline rugauger  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2017 23:39:35(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rugauger Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know the default MM address for this loco?

Ref: http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/36819_betrieb.pdf
factory address = 23

Are other locos still able to be controlled by the MS2?

Thanks Peter.
I tried address 23 on the 6021 but that does not work. This is the only mfx loco I have. Other (MM) locos still work on the MS2. I can't believe I would have fried the Kof's decoder by.... not doing anything other than trying to re-select it from the list? BTW I've also tried a decoder reset via the 6021 which didn't work, either Sad
Richard
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2017 12:18:00(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Richard,

It seems that you are in this grey MFX zone which can be solved easily by having your MFX Köf registered on a CS2, MS2, CS1, MS1 or CS3.
Once the loco has registered on a second unit, coming back to your MS2 will force a complete registration. You may do this at a friend's or at a Märklin shop.
To limit this occurrence in the future,
1 make sure all other locos are stopped,
2 set the loco on track without power
3 power on and wait until registration is finished without controlling other locos
This is a bug by Marklin where your loco number is registered (thus stopping a new registration) but erased from the list (sounds stupid I know!)

Bonne chance
My train (Rocrail + CS2) video

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2017 12:37:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Doing a Factory reset of the MS2 should clear any false registrations, so I don't think this is the problem. I am also concerned that it does not respond to any address on a 6021.

I think you have a faulty decoder.

As a last resort you could try selecting address 80 on your 6021 and entering programming mode, then change CV 8 to value 8 which should force a factory reset of the decoder. Don't have any other loco on the track when you do this. If there is still no response you can consider the decoder faulty. With so little use this can be considered an "out of the box" failure. These are not uncommon. If it's still under warranty you should be able to get it fixed free.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline rugauger  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2017 13:28:50(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Thanks all; I'll try and report back.
I had tried the reset via the 6021 already. The lights did NOT start blinking whilst I was doing this, either because I did it wrong or because the decoder is indeed faulty.
I'm finding it hard to understand why at first it registered OK on the Mobile Station and now refuses to do anything. The loco''s already been to Marklin due to a fault with the gears! I hate the idea of sending it back yet again...
Richard
Offline rugauger  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2017 18:28:05(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
SHE LIVES!
So my little Kof now works again perfectly - but don't ask me what made the difference!

I did perform a few more decoder resets on the 6021, including Ray's suggestion to write 08 into CV 08. First, she wouldn't run at all, even in analog, but she started going as soon as I put my V200 on the track....? Anyway, unplugged the analog transformer, put on the 6021 and - bingo - the loco ran on address 23 (thanks, Peter). Unplugged the 6021, plugged in the MS2, took a deeeeeeeeeeeep breath and - bingo again - she registered. So now I have her working on all three controllers again. Thank you forum members!

I can't say I've discovered a repeatable procedure here, though. But I do believe the MS2 had somehow managed to get the decoder "confused". I have now created a loco card on the MS2 so that if I ever have any difficulties, hopefully that might help.

As an aside - what are people's experience with the MS2? I find the thing prone to crashes and other misdemeanours. I'd like to persevere with it, though, because it's more intuitive to use, but it sure is less reliable than my trusty old 6021 (which I'll keep forever).

Many thanks again for all your suggestions, friends!
Richard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rugauger
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2017 20:42:38(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Happy that you could solve the problem. As for the MS2, i would not even think of using it as a main controller in other than a starter set. Both read and write of CV´s is not very reliable. if you control a pair of turnouts it might be useful, but for a larger layout it can be very anoying, it is better an old keyboard IMHO, no posibilities of setting routes... etc
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2017 20:55:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I hope you are very happy with it.

Well done Ray.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2017 21:53:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I use the MS2 on my small layout. It is true that they occasionally reset themselves or otherwise stop working at random, but thankfully all that is usually needed to get it working is just a power off and restart.

As a precaution I obtained a second MS2 in case of bigger problems, but so far I have rarely used it.

Setting CVs with the MS2 is best done using DCC, but it also works well on MM as long as the loco is on it's own on the layout.

I find few problems using the MS2 with mfx locos, especially since I upgraded the software last year to work with MFX+ locos. The MFX functionality plus the ability to use loco cards to store loco parameters for non-MFX locos make it much easier to use with my large loco collection than my old 6021.

I have to admit that I don't use the MS2 for turnout control, but it should not be a problem for small numbers of turnouts.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.