Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2017 00:07:21(UTC)
Minok

United States   
As I'm drawing up my layout in WinTrack 12 I am not surprised to find that making some of the auto-connections between to points takes a variety of track pieces of various sizes and often oddball fitting (2-3mm offsets). In general I'm wanting to avoid having to make a lot of custom C-track lengths if I can avoid it and will likely use K Flextrack along the longer parade type sections anyway.

So what I'm thinking is using the C-track in areas where it makes sense to me (inside the tunnels, the turnouts and rail yards, and then supplement that with the longer flex k-track runs on Merkur roadbed between.

The C-track in its charcoal grey would not stay that way anyway.. I'm planning to dry brush it at a minimum, or do more colorizing. So the question arises... when having a section of C-Track->Merkur/K-Track->C-Track what treatment do I need to do to each of the 2 types to get them to match up well.

As I mentioned, I'll be doing some painting on the C track as is, but the Merkur roadbed is too orange/brown out of the box to match even with some treatment of the C-Track track bed, so the interest in :

1) Have folks painted their Merkur to change its appearance?

2) If folks have done matching to C-Track bed in some way what works well?

A small amount of manual ballast at the C to K transitions will be needed I assume as the Merkur will only pick up on the proper K-Track, and that is fine.

Merkur:
UserPostedImage

C-Track:
UserPostedImage
C to K transition
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2017 06:29:14(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I wouldn't be doing transitions in visible areas if I were you.

Use K track anywhere visible and C track only in tunnels and hidden areas (though really, I think its easier to just use K all the way).
That way you don't need to worry about the visible differences.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline GlennM  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2017 12:18:48(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
The latest track plan book from Marklin by Klaus Eckert advocates hybrid C track K track layouts, combining the beauty of the C track wide turnouts with the flowing curves of flex track. This is the book;

UserPostedImage

When trying to get a ballast match for C track, Merkur they make bags of ballast which matches the K track inserts which could be used to blend the C track with K track see here

Here are a couple of extracts from the above book, showing the results that have been achieved on other layouts;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This final photograph shows one method of ballasting the C track and shows a transition from C track to K track;

UserPostedImage

NB: If you like the above please support the Author by buying the book

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2017 18:27:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't be doing transitions in visible areas if I were you.

Use K track anywhere visible and C track only in tunnels and hidden areas (though really, I think its easier to just use K all the way).
That way you don't need to worry about the visible differences.

The thing is, I don't want to deal with the track connectors and soldering wires to the track, I really like the uniformity of the C-track including through the turnouts. If there was C-Flex-Track I'd use that.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2017 18:38:11(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
The latest track plan book from Marklin by Klaus Eckert advocates hybrid C track K track layouts, combining the beauty of the C track wide turnouts with the flowing curves of flex track. This is the book;

UserPostedImage

When trying to get a ballast match for C track, Merkur they make bags of ballast which matches the K track inserts which could be used to blend the C track with K track see here

BR

Awesome! I'm so going to buy that book... IF I can find it. Thats always the problem.. finding such things. Amazon.com Amazon.de results in no matches.
What is the ISBN number in the book?

Märklin indicates it is not produced anymore, so buying an original (and thus supporting the author, doesn't seem possible). :(

Is there a source for this book? If not I'm out of luck.

Eurorail hobbies claims it has one in stock but the book doesn't meet their $45 min order requirement to avoid the $15 add-on-small-order-fee. :(
ACJKids isn't clear if they have it in stock or not. Reynaulds is as typical impossible to know if they have it in stock (email sent to them).
Will see what the purchase from ACJKids turns out...
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 24 March 2017 11:58:38(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

BR

Awesome! I'm so going to buy that book... IF I can find it. Thats always the problem.. finding such things. Amazon.com Amazon.de results in no matches.
What is the ISBN number in the book?

Märklin indicates it is not produced anymore, so buying an original (and thus supporting the author, doesn't seem possible). :(

Is there a source for this book? If not I'm out of luck.

Eurorail hobbies claims it has one in stock but the book doesn't meet their $45 min order requirement to avoid the $15 add-on-small-order-fee. :(
ACJKids isn't clear if they have it in stock or not. Reynaulds is as typical impossible to know if they have it in stock (email sent to them).
Will see what the purchase from ACJKids turns out...

There is no ISBN number printed in the book that is why I included a picture of the front cover in my post. I have noticed on the back cover it does say Item Number 07451, so I am guessing this is Marklin's item number. I hope this helps.

If you want this book, there is one for sale in USA on Ebay see here

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 24 March 2017 18:09:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Reynaulds indicated they didn't have it but apparently AJCkids did, so a copy is presently on the way.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok