Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2017 21:39:06(UTC)
mb300e4m

I have an older 3102 BR 53 0001 fitted with a basic 6090 decoder and upgraded motor. Today when I checked her out I found that the lights and dual smoke units were not working. I am using a 6646 transformer.

The light bulbs and smoke units are OK, but I cannot see where the power for these is fed from. The wire runs under the motor and disappears. Is it safe to assume that the power is fed directly from the center rail pickup?

Before I start tearing out the motor to look underneath to see where the wire starts/ends, perhaps someone would be so kind and tell me if my assumption is correct.

Whilst tracing out the wiring earlier today, I found a whisker of steel wire attached to the magnet along with a short Lagerbolzen (gear axle/pin) part 13 (231840) on the exploded view diagram. Not good I thought...but all of the gearing and gear axles appeared to be present. Someone's sloppy work no doubt.

Today I also had to repair the post that is under the tender top, the one that the holding screw screws into. Someone had overtightened it and broke off the plastic post near the bottom. Consequently the tender top would not stay on. They also botched that repair too, but I made a permanent repair to it, at least the broken off plastic piece was still inside the tender. I have got into the habit of assuming that any plastic that needs to be glued is of a polyolefin type, so I use a primer before using any superglue, liquid or otherwise. Polyolefin plastic used to be a nightmare to repair, but no longer.

Maybe I should go sit out by my pool in the sun, it seems it is not my day for model trains today.Cool

Peter B.
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2017 22:12:09(UTC)
H0

Hi, Peter,

It could be that light and smoke generators are controlled with F0. If so, they would be off with analogue operation.
But maybe they are on all the time.
That depends on the taste of the person that made the conversion.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mb300e4m  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2017 23:03:19(UTC)
mb300e4m

I just made a discovery. My instinct told me to try the loco with one of my MS2s. I did and everything was normal again. Obviously when run on analogue AC the only thing that works is the motor.

At least while I had to bodies off, I took care of some essential maintenance. Digital is still a mystery to me.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline mb300e4m  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2017 23:14:31(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Peter,

It could be that light and smoke generators are controlled with F0. If so, they would be off with analogue operation.
But maybe they are on all the time.
That depends on the taste of the person that made the conversion.

Thanks Tom for the reply,

Not having a copy of the 6090 installation instructions did not help. Are they available online? I can find circuit diagrams for the decoder internals on line but they were of little use in this case.

I did take the bull by the horns and removed the motor and I found that the wire goes back to the decoder in the tender.

Like you say it depends on the taste of the installer.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2017 10:05:32(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Both sites have the info's that may be useful to you

https://wiki.3rail.nl/in...%C3%A4rklin_6090_Decoder
http://www.web-hgh.de/in...h.de/p03_maedig_6090.htm

There is more literature available

The 6090 decoder is old. Has only one function: the lights (with flickering).
If you want smoke generator (2 in your case ) you have to connect them directly to the red wire or replace the decoder with a newer one with more functions.

The smoke generators must be 16V-22V.

For two smoke generators is necessary to use a relay or a transistor amplifier to have the required current (something 140 - 180 mA)

Regards

Costas

Edited by user 28 February 2017 18:30:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2017 11:17:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
The flickering is not caused by the decoder, it is caused by the way the lights are connected to the decoder.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mb300e4m  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2017 15:52:18(UTC)
mb300e4m

Both sites have the info's that may be useful to you

https://wiki.3rail.nl/in...%C3%A4rklin_6090_Decoder
http://www.web-hgh.de/in...h.de/p03_maedig_6090.htm

There is more literature available

Regards

Costas

Thanks Costas. Good information.
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline mb300e4m  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2017 16:04:53(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The flickering is not caused by the decoder, it is caused by the way the lights are connected to the decoder.

Thanks Tom, is there a simple way to cure the flickering?

I do not want to spend much cash on the 3102 as I have a newer one with a better decoder in it, and it is boxed too. I shall put the 3102 up for sale soon.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline ktsolias  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2017 18:28:05(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
In this post that I did some months ago you will find an easy way to cure light flickering

Is in a more complicated Re 460 Swiss Loco but the principle is the same

https://www.marklin-user...-460-ligths-modification

This may help you

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias