Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#51 Posted : 28 September 2016 12:25:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know of any dealers in Europe who may offer more than the 'fixed' 10% discount?

Lokshop doesn't have a price as yet, Modellbahn-Lippe do but it is only 10% discount - 656.99 € inc VAT / 591.29 € ex VAT.

http://www.modellbahnsho...-0-0-gb-h-0/produkt.html
Offline TEEWolf  
#52 Posted : 28 September 2016 17:02:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know of any dealers in Europe who may offer more than the 'fixed' 10% discount?

Lokshop doesn't have a price as yet, Modellbahn-Lippe do but it is only 10% discount - 656.99 € inc VAT / 591.29 € ex VAT.

Hi BDNZ,

“... only 10% discount ...”

Well, an internet dealer told me, that Maerklin has not only risen his prices. Maerklin now is also pressing their dealer not to give more than 10% discount. This is against the law in Germany. But nevertheless Maerklin - as an oligopolist - does not care about it.

And:
Where is no claimant there is no judge!

I follow up this topic via German internet pages of Maerklin dealers. So I can say, that since this year, 99% of the dealers stay with this 10% discount. That is a guess, but suddenly since 2016 I really found so far very, very rare dealers giving another 2 to 5% more discount. None is giving a 30% discount any longer. Whereas 3 years ago, I bought my starter set with a 30% discount, and realized that plenty of dealers gave discounts between 0% and 35%. Maerklin should be happy, because at the present circumstance I would not do buy the set again.

Maerklin suppresses its dealer very easy, as the dealer told me. They threaten them, if they would give a higher discount rate, Maerklin would not provide them any longer with Maerklin articles. This is the classical situation of an oligopolistic vendor.

At the moment it really seems to be the best strategy, staying with a dealer, who is giving via a home price system another little discount, as e.g. MSL does it.

Or we, as customers of Maerklin, force Maerklin to change its price policy again, by not buying as much articles as before.

This has an effect, because I read this about Fleischmann. They had risen prices and then their sales dropped down significantly. So they reduced their prices again.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#53 Posted : 28 September 2016 17:16:24(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Not to light a fire, but while I'm a believer in free market economies it is TERRIBLE for a premium brand and its retailer network when price wars begin. He who discounts the most inevitably wins, and the small guys go away when they lose the sales. Plus it trains buyers not to order in advance but rather wait for a sale or blowout.

While Marklin certainly should not force the retail sale prices, I find it right for them to discourage "dumping" product cheap being the premium brand that they are.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Goofy  
#54 Posted : 28 September 2016 19:03:36(UTC)
Goofy

Or you could just post the picture to save everyone having to follow a web link.....

ma39911-2.jpg

But my posted and suggestment to another link does shows bigger picture than yours anyway.
Nothing wrong with that and you will see more details!

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#55 Posted : 28 September 2016 20:00:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The best offer I've seen so far is € 630 incl. VAT - that's 13.7% below RRP.
I only see this price when I log into the webshop.

I won't tell the name of the dealer to prevent the dealer from trouble.
Visit many webshops, log in, compare the prices shown after the login.

Märklin cannot control the retail prices, but obviously there is pressure on the dealers not to advertise prices that are more than 10% below RRP.

With such a small discount, the Challenger is way too expensive compared to what I paid for my first Big Boy.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#56 Posted : 28 September 2016 22:07:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
But my posted and suggestment to another link does shows bigger picture than yours anyway.
Nothing wrong with that and you will see more details!

How can the photo in your link have more detail than the one I posted when they're the exact same photo.......ConfusedConfused

Where do you think I got it from??

The forum software may have resized the photo, but they are otherwise the same.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#57 Posted : 28 September 2016 22:11:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi BDNZ,

“... only 10% discount ...”

Well, an internet dealer told me, that Maerklin has not only risen his prices. Maerklin now is also pressing their dealer not to give more than 10% discount.

Well, this has obviously been a successful strategy for Marklin since their revenue for the last year dropped by 10 million euro.........(comment is meant to be sarcastic!)

I guess 10% is better than nothing. On the E94/BR194 1 Gauge loco I'm looking at, there is no discount on the full price of 1899 euros.

Offline Purellum  
#58 Posted : 28 September 2016 23:07:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

On the E94/BR194 1 Gauge loco I'm looking at, there is no discount on the full price of 1899 euros.

Are you sure ??

http://www.modellbahn-we...0/E-Loks-262/m55223.html

http://www.modellbahn-we...0/E-Loks-262/m55224.html

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline H0  
#59 Posted : 28 September 2016 23:20:15(UTC)
H0

Good find, Per. And don't forget to log in before comparing prices ...

And to get back to topic: this also applies to 39911.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#60 Posted : 28 September 2016 23:21:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Per. I should have qualified that statement by saying no discount at the dealers I normally deal with - Lokshop, Modellbahn-Lippe, Modellbahn-Fischer, Modellbahn-Seyfried.

I did find the locos at another dealer I haven't dealt with before at the same price that is in your links.

Have you ever dealt with Modellbahn West before?
Offline Purellum  
#61 Posted : 28 September 2016 23:29:09(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

No, I just Google'd because I found it strange that no dealers had a discount.

And I'm quite confident that more dealers will have it discounted when it has been delivered from Märklin.

Per.

P.S: Call your favourite dealers and ask them Wink

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline H0  
#62 Posted : 29 September 2016 08:23:17(UTC)
H0

I bought a few items from them over the years. Packaging is not always world class, but it's a rather big company that was around for several years. I think you will find with many dealers that the quality of packaging largely depends on the person who does the job on that very day.

Owner of Modellbahn West is also owner of Oktorail and Deutschland-Express (the latter is now closed) and former owner of Modellbahnwelt Oberhausen (sold years ago).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again if they had the best price for an item I want.

Some dealers have pre-order discounts, so it may be worth to compare prices now. Give the dealers a week or two to list the Challenger.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#63 Posted : 29 September 2016 18:21:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The 39911 is due in shop in time for christmas.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline kiwiAlan  
#64 Posted : 29 September 2016 18:43:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
The 39911 is due in shop in time for christmas.

Well, they are really going to have to get their skates on with the cs3 and cs2 update so people can use all the functions on this and the Insider railbus.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#65 Posted : 29 September 2016 22:15:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Well, they are really going to have to get their skates on with the cs3 and cs2 update.........

Yay........if only to shut Goofy up from being so negative, and giving him one less thing to moan about! OhMyGod
Offline Goofy  
#66 Posted : 30 September 2016 07:03:10(UTC)
Goofy

Well, they are really going to have to get their skates on with the cs3 and cs2 update.........

Yay........if only to shut Goofy up from being so negative, and giving him one less thing to moan about! OhMyGod

Märklin focus on the CS3 and they did placement lot of money to create an new CS3.
It cost a lof of money by do that!!
So Märklin are not interested to focus by upgrade CS2 to welcome more functions.
If they do it,Märklin loss money by not sell the new CS3.
Instead they want customer to buy CS3.
It´s an smart business way.

On topic...Challenger will only produce one time series.
So be sure to get one this model.
H0
Offline H0  
#67 Posted : 30 September 2016 08:10:27(UTC)
H0

Yeah. Like all Märklin Big Boys were one-time series.

Re "More functions for CS2": We had that a few times. For Märklin it is a trade-off between short-term profit and long-term customer satisfaction.
Going for short-term profit is not the smartest business way in the long run if you got a reputation to lose.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#68 Posted : 30 September 2016 12:29:03(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Re "More functions for CS2": We had that a few times. For Märklin it is a trade-off between short-term profit and long-term customer satisfaction.
Going for short-term profit is not the smartest business way in the long run if you got a reputation to lose.

As i did wrote before...Märklin first focus on the new CS3.
Question is also if Märklin will do upgrade CS2 to let customer use more digital functions instead to buy an CS3.
Time will tell...

On topic...Challenger like big boy locomotive looks impressive,if you have larger curves at least 22 inches.
Too narrow curves like 360 mm is not nice look.

H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#69 Posted : 30 September 2016 15:38:20(UTC)
TEEWolf

Märklin focus on the CS3 and they did placement lot of money to create an new CS3.
Instead they want customer to buy CS3.
It´s an smart business way.

YES Goofy, I want to buy a new CS3 plus.Flapper The problem is, I do not get one!!!LOL

I do not think so, because you are right, saying that M is doing whatever to create new sales. So after a 32 function challenger, comes a 32 function big boy, comes a 48 function challenger comes a 48 function big boy, and so and so on. Perhaps they change colours as well or insert an automatic coal supply or whatever. Laugh But they want your money and Maerklin will get your money!Blink LOL Crying

Offline kiwiAlan  
#70 Posted : 30 September 2016 18:08:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

As i did wrote before...Märklin first focus on the new CS3.
Question is also if Märklin will do upgrade CS2 to let customer use more digital functions instead to buy an CS3.
Time will tell...

While a lot of the development effort will focus on the cs3 software, there will have to be an update for the cs2 once the locos with more than 16 functions are released, unless Marklin is providing free cs2 -> cs3 exchange upgrades and have thousands of cs3s stockpiled in a warehouse.

It is straight out impractical to expect all users of a cs2 who get locos with more then 16 functions to upgrade to a cs3, marklin just couldn't supply enough cs3 units. They are talking of a total of 100 in the first month IIRC from another thread here, and I expect that will all be the G1 locos that are getting a cs3 provided with them.

If Marklin do not provide an upgrade for the cs2 they will drive people away, as at the IMA at Goppingen last year, on the release of the new decoders they were specifically saying there will be an update for the cs2. I would expect this will have sliding menus like the cs3 has, to be able to fit the extra 16 functions on screen. That will be a significant software development effort, but if they have done things right it will be a piggyback on the cs3 design effort rather than a totally seperate project.

I would expect cs2 upgrades for at least a year, probably two years before it is considered 'no longer suitable for further development'.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline steventrain  
#71 Posted : 04 October 2016 17:57:04(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   

Lokshop extra 5% discount if log in.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Goofy  
#72 Posted : 06 October 2016 12:10:48(UTC)
Goofy

While a lot of the development effort will focus on the cs3 software, there will have to be an update for the cs2 once the locos with more than 16 functions are released, unless Marklin is providing free cs2 -> cs3 exchange upgrades and have thousands of cs3s stockpiled in a warehouse.

It is straight out impractical to expect all users of a cs2 who get locos with more then 16 functions to upgrade to a cs3, marklin just couldn't supply enough cs3 units. They are talking of a total of 100 in the first month IIRC from another thread here, and I expect that will all be the G1 locos that are getting a cs3 provided with them.

If Marklin do not provide an upgrade for the cs2 they will drive people away, as at the IMA at Goppingen last year, on the release of the new decoders they were specifically saying there will be an update for the cs2. I would expect this will have sliding menus like the cs3 has, to be able to fit the extra 16 functions on screen. That will be a significant software development effort, but if they have done things right it will be a piggyback on the cs3 design effort rather than a totally seperate project.

I would expect cs2 upgrades for at least a year, probably two years before it is considered 'no longer suitable for further development'.

In the manual of the CS3,it stand you can import data from the CS2 to the CS3.
But not versus!
In fact it´s waste of time for the Märklin by focus on the CS2 while CS3 is far more important to make money.

H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#73 Posted : 06 October 2016 21:42:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

In the manual of the CS3,it stand you can import data from the CS2 to the CS3.
But not versus!

So what, this discussion centers around software updates and having 32 functions available.

In fact it´s waste of time for the Märklin by focus on the CS2 while CS3 is far more important to make money.

cs3 customers are new customers, cs2 customers are existing customers who have already invested significant money. Both are equally important, that is why I see software upgrades for at least a year, and probably two years.

Having been in the business of supporting computer equipment (which tends to have shorter economic lifetimes than MRR controllers) I reckon I have a pretty good feel for the economic realities of customer support.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0
Offline Goofy  
#74 Posted : 07 October 2016 10:08:31(UTC)
Goofy

So what, this discussion centers around software updates and having 32 functions available.

cs3 customers are new customers, cs2 customers are existing customers who have already invested significant money. Both are equally important, that is why I see software upgrades for at least a year, and probably two years.

Märklin focus on the CS3.
I don´t believe Märklin are interested to upgrade CS2 into future.
When Märklin did present "Challenger" with 28 functions(!),they did tell to the market what there is good by use with the new CS3.
H0
Offline vilithejou  
#75 Posted : 05 January 2017 15:07:02(UTC)
vilithejou

First photos

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 06 January 2017 14:24:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
thanks 20 users liked this useful post by vilithejou
Offline steventrain  
#76 Posted : 05 January 2017 18:22:12(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Look nice.ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline foumaro  
#77 Posted : 05 January 2017 19:04:14(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Nice photos,thank you very much.I hope i will get mine soon.LOL ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline vilithejou  
#78 Posted : 05 January 2017 19:09:50(UTC)
vilithejou

looks so nice.... More detailed than Big Boy with the same quality.. good painting, lots of parts inserted.

The wood box is new, adapted to the new size but looks like Big Boy packaging

Tomorrow I put it on the track

For me one's of best model doing for Marklin...
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by vilithejou
Offline grnwtrs  
#79 Posted : 06 January 2017 02:32:08(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: vilithejou Go to Quoted Post
looks so nice.... More detailed than Big Boy with the same quality.. good painting, lots of parts inserted.

I am really jealous.Blushing You have such a great model. a model that
just looks so very very good.

I spent all my little monies of the Orient Express set (# 26922,ep1) that just
arrived today. Haven't taken out of the box. Engine and 7 cars. Busy with
other project so I can't put on test stand.

Asked my dealer to hold my reservation until Jan 22, 2017 so I will be
allowed to order the Challenger, maybe a car set or two.

Your pictures are always so good, thank you for posting them,
and your evaluation.

Regards,gene
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Goofy  
#80 Posted : 06 January 2017 08:14:17(UTC)
Goofy

I wish Märklin could sell era 1 Orient express locomotive and wagons instead piecewise.
The Challenger seems pretty look.
You will sure have fun by test all functions.
H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#81 Posted : 06 January 2017 16:40:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I wish Märklin could sell era 1 Orient express locomotive and wagons instead piecewise.
The Challenger seems pretty look.
You will sure have fun by test all functions.

They did this with the Trix version, the loco, a 5 car set and a 2 car set as seperate items, just like the sets from Marklin in the past. I couldn't understand why they sold this as a complete set either.

I wouldn't mind having just the loco, but I'm not going to get a Trix one and convert it.

Offline TEEWolf  
#82 Posted : 06 January 2017 20:18:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Indeed the model looks very nice and impressive.

Did you get a pair of white glove too? I got a pair with my 37017, the bavarian S 2/6 as a special editon modell.
Offline vilithejou  
#83 Posted : 07 January 2017 07:59:34(UTC)
vilithejou

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Indeed the model looks very nice and impressive.

Did you get a pair of white glove too? I got a pair with my 37017, the bavarian S 2/6 as a special editon modell.

No the loco just came in the wooden box, no gloves!!! Angry
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Offline TEEWolf  
#84 Posted : 08 January 2017 01:35:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

No the loco just came in the wooden box, no gloves!!! Angry

Thanks. This makes me thoughtful. What is the reason, that only the blue S 2/6 got these gloves? Could be the colour the reason, because it is perhaps so delicate?

Has here anybody experience with this colour? The blue S 2/6 has the same colour (by my viewing) as Maerklin uses for its track cleaning car # 46049.

46049 track cleaning
Offline Tower  
#85 Posted : 30 January 2017 08:52:04(UTC)
Tower

I received my 39911 on Saturday, unfortunately when I opened it I noticed that the coupler between the Locomotive and Tender was broken. Fro replies to my facebook post on marklinusers.com's facebook page I am not the only one with this problem it seems.Cursing Cursing Cursing

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tower
Offline foumaro  
#86 Posted : 30 January 2017 11:55:54(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Very bad news.At least unacceptable for such an expensive new loco.
Offline RayF  
#87 Posted : 30 January 2017 11:59:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
In recent years I've had to change one of these coupler bars. They are very flimsy and easy to break on most of the newer Marklin locos. It will be worse on heavy models.

Never understood why they are no longer made of metal.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline grnwtrs  
#88 Posted : 30 January 2017 18:12:51(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: Tower Go to Quoted Post
I received my 39911 on Saturday, unfortunately when I opened it I noticed that the coupler between the Locomotive and Tender was broken. Fro replies to my facebook post on marklinusers.com's facebook page I am not the only one with this problem it seems.Cursing Cursing Cursing

UserPostedImage

So very,very sorry for you, and your model. The model looks excellent, but "failed drawbar' is no excuse, for shame on MarklinCursing

Hope Marklin fixes soon, very soon.

regards,gene

Offline Marius in Africa  
#89 Posted : 30 January 2017 18:18:05(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
In recent years I've had to change one of these coupler bars. They are very flimsy and easy to break on most of the newer Marklin locos. It will be worse on heavy models.

Hi Ray

Is their any other source for these couplers in metal?

Regards

Marius
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline RayF  
#90 Posted : 30 January 2017 19:03:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Marius in Africa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Hi Ray

Is their any other source for these couplers in metal?

Regards

Marius

Not that I know of. Sorry!

When the bar failed on my Br34 I ordered two. If it fails again at least I have another spare.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline BrandonVA  
#91 Posted : 01 February 2017 19:56:24(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Anyone in the US get one of these yet? I pre-ordered in November...but no clue when it will show up.

-Brandon
Offline petestra  
#92 Posted : 02 February 2017 00:45:04(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Anyone in the US get one of these yet? I pre-ordered in November...but no clue when it will show up.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon. Märklin website shows it "temp. out of stock", so it should be soon. Here is the link. Peter Cool

http://www.maerklin.de/e...ts/details/article/39911
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Nielsenr  
#93 Posted : 02 February 2017 03:43:49(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   

-Brandon

I per-ordered mine from Germany. Received an email on Jan 2 that it was ready for purchase and it was delivered on Jan 14.

Nice loco ....

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline Marius in Africa  
#94 Posted : 02 February 2017 17:00:32(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post

-Brandon

Hi Brandon. Märklin website shows it "temp. out of stock", so it should be soon. Here is the link. Peter Cool

http://www.maerklin.de/e...ts/details/article/39911

Hi Peter

I hope that the "temporarily out of stock" status mean that Marklin is busy fixing the draw bar problem before for the rest of us receive the "ävailable to order" notification.

Regards

Marius
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marius in Africa
Offline pserup  
#95 Posted : 13 February 2017 06:19:59(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
Picked up mine on Saturday (654,- € incl. 25% VAT) along with a 78151 test stand. A lovely beast it is ThumpUp
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pserup
Offline jvuye  
#96 Posted : 17 February 2017 20:56:01(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Just brought mine home after a trip to Paris.
The trip home itself was not un-eventful!
My dealer suggested **not** to take it off the little wooden base for a test run.
In his opinion, it was safer to bring it home "as is", in its original and very intricate package.
The events that ensued will prove he was right.

During a line change in the metro, a young pickpocket went for the smartphone in my pocket, but the Challenger box got in the way, and he missed!
But my right foot did not miss his crutch. Cursing Blink
Funny how well I remembered the reflexes learned 54 years ago while training for close combat in the army.

He ran away, but obviously was most uncomfortable doing so! Angry

Some onlookers said "Vous avez bien fait Monsieur" . (You were right to do so sir )
But after all the commotion , I was now **really** concerned with all the shaking endured by my precious Challenger!

I resisted the urge to open the box and waited till the next day, in the evening when I got home after a 400 miles freeway ride to the south.

Lo and behold , the magnificent object was undamaged and ran perfectly at the first trial!

It pulls my standard 30 cars US freight test consist without a hitch.
Double slips, s-curves and switches, R1, etc. nothing is a problem.
Nice stuff! Bravo Märklin.
Have created a brand new space in the display case: when not on the layout, this one is **not** going back in the box.
Want to keep an eye on it.
Only problem: the sounds are **waaayyy** too loud!
But that's an easy problem to solve.
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 19 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Alsterstreek  
#97 Posted : 19 February 2017 13:09:52(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
During a line change in the metro, a young pickpocket went for the smartphone in my pocket, but the Challenger box got in the way, and he missed!

Very good. I see already the headlines in the news:

"Maerklin loco as a life saver or how MRR makes your life safer!"
or
"Maerklin Challenger is a pickpocket challenger?"

:o)
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Marius in Africa  
#98 Posted : 02 March 2017 16:24:06(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
I got home today to find my "item reserved for you" email waiting. BigGrin BigGrin

Placed my order and payed immediately, this is one item i do not want to miss out on! Can't wait to place it on the track next to the Big Boy.

Will have to get that macro lens now; to take some decent photographs. Oh dear, does it ever end?
Marius in Africa

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marius in Africa
Offline jerdenberg  
#99 Posted : 04 March 2017 13:16:52(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
The MTH version is on sale today at Walthers.
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline baggio  
#100 Posted : 04 March 2017 14:51:20(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Marius in Africa Go to Quoted Post
Oh dear, does it ever end?

Hope not! LOL