Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2017 00:26:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

Another Ebay "deal". The problem is the three pole in it has a spot of solder right on the armature, which the seller did not disclose, I even had a hard time discovering it. Don't know how it got on there it may be a manufactuer flaw. It would spin once, and encounter the casing and stall. Couldn't get it to clear and did not successfully get it to work. I decided to install a five pole, but I cannot find one from my usual sources.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I am not sure if I pay another $70 for a motor it might be excessive. This item is hardly used, and the wheels still have the shine which new ones have. To bad it did not work out. I really like this loco.

Thanks for anything you might suggest.

Dwight
Offline Z-nerd  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2017 10:03:14(UTC)
Z-nerd

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Another Ebay "deal". The problem is the three pole in it has a spot of solder right on the armature, which the seller did not disclose, I even had a hard time discovering it. Don't know how it got on there it may be a manufactuer flaw. It would spin once, and encounter the casing and stall. Couldn't get it to clear and did not successfully get it to work. I decided to install a five pole, but I cannot find one from my usual sources.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I am not sure if I pay another $70 for a motor it might be excessive. This item is hardly used, and the wheels still have the shine which new ones have. To bad it did not work out. I really like this loco.

Dwight

I dont believe in manufacturer flaw, I have bought locos on our ebay that were obviously poorly repaired, probably the seller of your loco tried to fix it.

Are you sure that the loco has a standard 3-pole motor ? the 88961 seems to be too new to have a 3-pole motor.

I actually tried to replace a faulty 5-pole motor on the 8895 loco with an old 3-pole that I bought, but the motor didnt fit, the driveshaft was too long, so it hit the casing which resulted in a squeky noise.

UserPostedImage

Spare parts for z-scale are expensive and hard to come by, so $70 for that loco is way too much to pay. I bought the similar looking 88061 for about the same price on our ebay, but in perfect condition.
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2017 17:17:27(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

Thanks, I may have paid to much considering what I know now.

I am committed to getting it going though. Otherwise it would just be a display piece and that would be sad.

According to LOK Museum DE this model was made in 1996.

http://lokshow.de/showar...ite=5&SID=khjbycokwy

I believe the five poles were not released yet, they came out around 2000 or 2001, something like that.

I did locate a used three pole motor, but with the issues you had, I don't think I would want to try it.

Was it obvious the shaft on yours was long when compared side by side, or did you install it and then discover the cause of the squeak? Sometimes these discoveries take a while. Mine would just shutter when electricity was applied and then not respond. When I rotated the armature a bit it would just do this again, and the solder would always be in the same position. I tried to just scrape it off, thinking the solder was just an unintentional drip which wasn't really going to stick. Despite repeated attempts it would not come off and there is not much room in that small opening. Now the motor is not responding at all I must have damaged it. I took a chance, it just did not work out.

Hopefully if I find a five pole it will work correctly.

The 88061 you have looks like a great one. Any problems navigating sharp curves? Mine has four drive wheels and this is a bit of a concern.

Thanks for your reply. I will keep looking, maybe I will find something.

Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2017 10:16:14(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Given that your motor seems to be completely broken and if you are feeling masochistic, perhaps you could try re-winding the rotors. Confused

Carim
Offline Benjamin f Graves  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2017 18:15:05(UTC)
Benjamin f Graves

United States   
Hi

Dwight

Hi Dwight , Check Z-scale Hobo , I'm sure he has them or can refer you to where you can get them , and I've seen several 5 pole motors on the e-bay for 35.00 to -50.00 . just building up my own tools to do motor swap out hopefully soon . Most time the I've noticed lot of being sold on E-bay that no longer work is age old Grease/oil Marklin used for motors , Seems to lock up in motor stem area where bottom gear set to connect to main drive gears or wheels . I've bought 3 Steam locomotives not working and after cleaning and using liquid wrench to free up stems they work all 3 Good. There are some Good Bad Ugly sellers so sometimes it is easy to get taken . Ben
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2017 18:28:39(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. No thank you. Everything is small I couldn't muster enough courage to try that

I located a motor and it is on its way

Perhaps I will get this loco working soon.

I will review the Youtube z repair guides while I am waiting

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2017 18:40:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Sorry Ben my last reply was to Carim

You got that right some sellers don't know what they are selling

You definitely had some good luck going for you. I am sure I will find some too.

Z hobo did not list this one but could have ordered it perhaps

Marklin parts site says they cannot ship to USA. Wonder why?

Thanks

Dwight
Offline Benjamin f Graves  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2017 15:17:21(UTC)
Benjamin f Graves

United States   
Sorry Ben my last reply was to Carim

You got that right some sellers don't know what they are selling

You definitely had some good luck going for you. I am sure I will find some too.

Z hobo did not list this one but could have ordered it perhaps

Marklin parts site says they cannot ship to USA. Wonder why?

Thanks

Dwight

Hi Dwight , The problem with Marklin that I've discovered is age old your on your own sin-drum when it comes to repair or modification. they don't seem to need to keep Replacement parts for the special Trains they make. That's OK maybe that is why lot of us prefer their craftsmanship over some of others . Also why price stays up there . (Quality Costs ) There are several good Parts Dealers even on E-bay that if you contacted them would help as much as possible. E-bay Seller GPS 97 has helped me in many ways and has lot of Marklin Parts for sale . I'm not ordinary Z-trainer . I like to modify lot not because they are not good or best as they are . but because the research the planning the challenge of making something closer to real thing or something no one else has. So far I'm concentrating Steam Locomotives . but will expand when spirit moves Me. Ben
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Benjamin f Graves
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2017 16:32:17(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

I admire your goals with your z scale trains but I am barely understanding the locos as they are designed by Marklin. I can clean and maintain them but this is about it right now. I did a few engine upgrades and I believe the five pole adds to the realism because they are so much more smooth and quiet. My upgrade of an older CL 18 could have worked out better but I learned from the experience. I am looking forward to seeing what Marklin's new motors will do this year when they are released I am working on my first layout and enjoy the process and agree it is a beautiful hobby.

I like the steamers too but must confess I have more diesels and a bunch of railbuses but I cannot explain why. I just like them.

Peter at GPS 97 is a reliable dealer at reasonable prices too but none of these motors were listed on EBay at this time. I noticed a few of the 88961 have been listed for auction recently and I believe all mention they are working backward and forward. A good point I overlooked.

I am glad we have this forum to discuss the hobby it seems to capture all of our interests.

Thanks Ben.
Offline parakiet  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2017 00:55:18(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Just my 2 cents... alot of them together with my frustrations :)
I got my collection together on eBay and discounts at German stores. I am still a green starter with more time online then at his rr. Learning every day and having a long way to go.
I have no really bad experiences on eBay.

Once I got a bad loco on eBay but the seller quick fixed it. Runs like crazy now (slow and fast) but the lights don't switch.
I'm keeping it for the time until I can fix it myself. Like a test loco :D
I have two steam tanks. One new version with 5 pole bought in a store and the other old serie with 3 pole for 50-60 euro on ebay. Well.. that cheap f@#$ runs better! Not that the new one is that bad.. Same here: I am youtubing and searching so I can give it a checkup/service myself.

I did have bad experiences at second hand events or expos or whatever!!!

I used to go to aquarium and photography events, fairs or what it is called.
When you're new you absolutely have no idea whats worth what and what you should or shouldn't get.
When you know the gear, the prices and the good/bad choices you see some pretty harsh stuff.

It is worth what the fool pays.. and I still get the shivers.
Example: I wanted an external flash. So I searched around and finally found something I liked. I call the seller and asked the price. Rookie mistake at fairs I guess. He gives a price which nears the price of a brand new one. More than 2.5 times what that item was worth. Then I start thinking... "if I didn't know better I paid way to much for a 20 year old...." What kind of seller is this?
Same goes when you sell. On a aquarium fair I sold of some of spring. Already setting a low price and getting scores of people offering close to nothing. It must be somekind of mindset I guess :/

So I can imagine a newby running around at a fair. Spending way to much money on all kind of incompatible stuff. And face it.. at a fair you just buy to much ;)

So..with this hobby I scout ebay. At the same time I scout modelshops sites. I lurk around here. Taking notes, building a wishlist. Getting a crush for a set or loco!
Having an excel file for new/secondhand prices. Knowing how much it went last time.
And a rule set: shipping is a part of the price. If it nears new price, I abort or buy it 'new'. Read the description carefully! Buy lots, sets or buy a few items at the same store.
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2017 04:58:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. A "bargain" is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Happy hunting!

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme