Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tex  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2008 07:06:48(UTC)
Tex

United States   
I am in an area where there are no marklin dealers and very few marklin users. I'm hoping that someone could help me with the layout I have under construction.
I started with a digital starter set in 1989 and added to it over the years and ended with a large layout using a 6021 control unit and a 6015 booster with a 80f control on the side . Controls for solenoid accessories were done with 7272 control boxes. The layout was dismanteled in 2004.

Since that time I have retired and this year started constructing a mult-deck layout in an upstairs bedroom . I planned to have this layout digitally controlled using my M track and control system. I purchased four keyboards , a 6017 booster and a memory unit along with more M track and five new marklin k 83 decoders from e bay. One keyboard was used.

To make the story short, the layout has 0 % of the track in place and the control components are installed in neat rows. I have followed the directions in the handbook for the 6021 control unit and I cannot get the docoders to do anything. At present, the 6021 control unit is only connected to the digital components, the 6015 booster is connected to the tracks and the 6017 is connected to a decoders. Each has a seperate transformer. The trains run but the decoders do not respond. The 6021 is set at the universal swithch setting - 2 - - as it was in my previous layout.

What do I do now ?

Dick Setterlund
Offline Philip  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2008 10:24:39(UTC)
Philip

Hello Dick
As i see it you are missing a componnet - the 6040 keyboard to opperat the turnout decoders - because the menthion 7272 is for analogmode.

Philip
Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Online mvd71  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2008 10:38:15(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Yes you definatly need the 6040 keyboard, and could I suggest the Marklin Digital handbook also, it gives a good explanation of how the components work, and how to set them up.
You should be able to get it cheaply on ebay, or possibly even download it from somewhere.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2008 11:09:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mvd71
<br />possibly even download it from somewhere.

Send me an email. I have it in adobe pdf format.
Offline Tivvy  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2008 11:09:32(UTC)
Tivvy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Tex
<br />SNIP
Since that time I have retired and this year started constructing a mult-deck layout in an upstairs bedroom . I planned to have this layout digitally controlled using my M track and control system. I purchased four keyboards , a 6017 booster and a memory unit along with more M track and five new marklin k 83 decoders from e bay. One keyboard was used.

To make the story short, the layout has 0 % of the track in place and the control components are installed in neat rows. I have followed the directions in the handbook for the 6021 control unit and I cannot get the docoders to do anything. At present, the 6021 control unit is only connected to the digital components, the 6015 booster is connected to the tracks and the 6017 is connected to a decoders. Each has a seperate transformer. The trains run but the decoders do not respond. The 6021 is set at the universal swithch setting - 2 - - as it was in my previous layout.

What do I do now ?

Dick Setterlund

Hi Dick,
Personally I have noe experience with the 6021 but it does sound like you have the right componenets. I believe there are some dip switches on the keyboards themselves which relate to the address range of the keys. Check these and the addresses of the decoders match.
Hope that helps

Caillin
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
6 track dead end station, twin track loop, 4 track through station.
Under construction.
Offline graafjp  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2008 11:59:05(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi Dick,

So the keyboards/memory are connected to the left side of the 6021?
Do the led's on the keyboards react when you push the green/red buttons??

Did you set the dipswitches at the back of the keyboards and inside the K83 decoders to the corresponding settings?

As you say 0% of the track is in place did you connect anything to the K83 decoders?? Otherwise you could not check these as there are no indicator lights or something on these devices.

You could also connect a K83 directly to the output of the 6021 to eliminate a possible problem with the 6017 booster..

Are the booster connections (plug orientation) correct??

Well perhaps a few redundant questions for you but that's what popped up in my mind reading your post.
Regards,
Jos
Online mvd71  
#7 Posted : 22 October 2008 12:12:16(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Since that time I have retired and this year started constructing a mult-deck layout in an upstairs bedroom . I planned to have this layout digitally controlled using my M track and control system. I purchased four keyboards , a 6017 booster and a memory unit along with more M track and five new marklin k 83 decoders from e bay. One keyboard was used.

Just like when I was at school, read the question Mike.

The download from BigDaddy should do it.

Cheers.....

Mike.
Offline Tex  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2008 17:26:03(UTC)
Tex

United States   
The keyboards are set with the dip switchs for 1,2,3 and 4 as listed in the 6021 instructions. All react when the red and green buttons are pushed. The memory to the far left also lights up.

Have usede an older k 83 decoder at first with factory settings for first four of keyboard 1. Tried new 83 k as well with same result.

I have installed about 40% of the track with nine turnouts. Remainder of track will be on upper two decks. Lower part of helix constructed and operationable.

Have had same result when decoder is from 6021. Feed from 6021, however, will operate trains in a normal manner.

Efforts to date have been on a single turnout. No movement however I noted that the lantern was very bright for a short period of time and the went dark.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by graafjp
<br />Hi Dick,

So the keyboards/memory are connected to the left side of the 6021?
Do the led's on the keyboards react when you push the green/red buttons??

Did you set the dipswitches at the back of the keyboards and inside the K83 decoders to the corresponding settings?

As you say 0% of the track is in place did you connect anything to the K83 decoders?? Otherwise you could not check these as there are no indicator lights or something on these devices.

You could also connect a K83 directly to the output of the 6021 to eliminate a possible problem with the 6017 booster..

Are the booster connections (plug orientation) correct??

Well perhaps a few redundant questions for you but that's what popped up in my mind reading your post.
Offline dntower85  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2008 18:48:25(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Dick I would start out simpler for testing.
connect one keyboard to the 6021. then connect that to a k83. Dale Shults made a cool tester for k83's search his web page for it.http://modeltrain.servehttp.com/layout.nsf so you might build one for testing.
make sure the keyboard and k83 dip switches are set correctly.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Tex  
#10 Posted : 22 October 2008 20:16:08(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Good idea. will run tests but do not think that the 6040 keyboards are at fault. The decoder tester looks like a good approach but will need two as half my decoders have the newer marklin plugs. The new plugs are not an improvement in my opinion as it is still too easy to back the set screw out and lose it. The older design was fine and all M needed to do was to improve the quality control as the fit varied with some too loose and others too tight.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by dntower85
<br />Dick I would start out simpler for testing.
connect one keyboard to the 6021. then connect that to a k83. Dale Shults made a cool tester for k83's search his web page for it.http://modeltrain.servehttp.com/layout.nsf so you might build one for testing.
make sure the keyboard and k83 dip switches are set correctly.
Offline graafjp  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2008 21:20:14(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Tex
<br />

Efforts to date have been on a single turnout. No movement however I noted that the lantern was very bright for a short period of time and the went dark

Dick,

If you test this switch by connecting the yellow wire to a yellow output of a transformer and touch the blue wires against the mass (brown) connection does this switch operate normally??? (traditional method)??

Have you checked the red/brown connections between the 6021/boosters with the tracks and with the k83. Are they not accidently connected the wrong way around?

You could also test a K83 output by connecting a 20v bulb between the yellow and correspondig red/green terminal and see if it lights up when you press the corresponding keyboard button for a short time.

Regards,
Jos
Offline hemau  
#12 Posted : 22 October 2008 22:04:05(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
Originally posted by Tex
<br />
Efforts to date have been on a single turnout. No movement however I noted that the lantern was very bright for a short period of time and the went dark.
Quote:

Check first the connection of the red and brown. Since apparently the light in the switch burned, the polarity might be wrong.
Hope you get things working!
Regards, Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline dntower85  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2008 22:27:21(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I wonder if the turnout motor is shorting out. I am tiring to remember how the light is wired into the m track turnouts but it could be causing the problem if it is getting a voltage in form a separate transformer and going back through a common ground.
DT
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline hemau  
#14 Posted : 22 October 2008 22:36:04(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
<br />I wonder if the turnout motor is shorting out. I am tiring to remember how the light is wired into the m track turnouts but it could be causing the problem if it is getting a voltage in form a separate transformer and going back through a common ground.

I've no one at hand at the moment but I'm pretty sure the light of the m-track switches is powered by the yellow power input and return via common ground. So Tex's switch and switchlight must get its power from the K83. I don't think it can be operated succesfully digital if powered directly from a separate transformer.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline graafjp  
#15 Posted : 22 October 2008 22:46:12(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
I checked the old Marklin Digital handbook as I have no M-switches at hand. The light is internally connected to the yellow wire of the switch. So the mass must be flowing back via the rail itself as far I can see on the drawing. It is suggested to disconnect this wire as it can then be feed by a separate power source as not using up the digital power available for the switch lighting.

So there should be a common ground between the different components. On my setup I connected the ground wires from the transformers together. I also use a setup with 6020-6040-6043 for switching and a separate 6021+booster for driving.
Regards,
Jos
Offline Tex  
#16 Posted : 24 October 2008 20:56:23(UTC)
Tex

United States   
the proplem is still not resolved but it seems to point to my old 6021. The turnout works by touching wire from transformers to the lead wires. Tests with single keyboards show no resonse, test using new decoder shows no response. Have bought a "new" used decoder from ebay and will see how it works in a week or so. Also am testing my hookups as the red feeder wires in old 5111 track sections have mostly turned back to brown. Also making sure trhe the transformers have matching polarity and are grounded together.

I thank you all for your interest and comments. I will be working on other areas of the layout until the new 6012 shows up. It is good distraction from the election, the economy, and the damage to my home caused by a falling tree during huricane ike.

Dick Setterlund
Offline dntower85  
#17 Posted : 24 October 2008 21:32:26(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Dick are you abole to control loc's with your 6021?

is there a red light on when the 6021 is turned on no flashing??
DT
Offline Tex  
#18 Posted : 26 October 2008 02:36:39(UTC)
Tex

United States   
I made one more test of the 6021 which indicates it is the problem. The red light went on and the test engine started. However, it would not stop or change speeds . Another test gave the same result with a false locomotive address. However, the engine responded to the 80f controller attached to the 6021. The problem is getting worse and will wait until the "new" 6021 comes before I power up again.

I have had the the 6021 for about 15 years with no previous proplems but had never had keyboards attached to it before. The test engine is an old 3000 from the digital starter set I have had since 1989. It just keeps on running.

Quote:
<br />Dick are you abole to control loc's with your 6021?

is there a red light on when the 6021 is turned on no flashing??
Offline clapcott  
#19 Posted : 26 October 2008 12:01:51(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Tex,

I would suggest that a short has (had) developed between the yellow and red.
This results in stressing the driver transistors of the 6021.

2 situations usually occur
- 1 A "good" short - will blow the transistors
- 2 A "poor" short will make them sluggish

Your description is typical of (2) - a poor short with the the transistors delivery power but not crisply enough for the decoder to understand - A loc will therefor assumes "analogue mode" and will take off at 2/3 speed.

occasionally different address patterns may make the signal recognisable but this is borderline.

replace BOTH driver transistors

BEFORE you connect it (or any other controller) to the layout thoroughly check for yellow&lt;&gt; red shorts,

Peter
Offline Tex  
#20 Posted : 27 October 2008 05:13:16(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Are you saying that there may be a small short in one of the red track attachment wires? How does one locate " small" shorts? My only experiences with shorts is with overload cut-offs fron derailments or other causes. I suspect the red lead wires since the only yellow wires are from the thansformers to the control unit and boosters and a short seems unlikely. Also, have no idea what a driver transistor is, who does this sort of repair?

Dick

I would suggest that a short has (had) developed between the yellow and red.
This results in stressing the driver transistors of the 6021.

2 situations usually occur
- 1 A "good" short - will blow the transistors
- 2 A "poor" short will make them sluggish

Your description is typical of (2) - a poor short with the the transistors delivery power but not crisply enough for the decoder to understand - A loc will therefor assumes "analogue mode" and will take off at 2/3 speed.

occasionally different address patterns may make the signal recognisable but this is borderline.

replace BOTH driver transistors

BEFORE you connect it (or any other controller) to the layout thoroughly check for yellow&lt;&gt; red shorts,

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 27 October 2008 05:21:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Tex, there are some other threads around dealing with what type of transistors are in the 6021. They are quite common Darlingtons, and are fairly easy to replace, if you have some good soldering skills.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 27 October 2008 05:25:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Tex, here is the thread in question:- https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8569

Transistors are standard BDW93C/94C Darlingtons. (Note: insulation from the heat sink is required - which means you need the insulating washers that go with the transistors, plus some heatsink compound)
Offline Tex  
#23 Posted : 13 November 2008 19:58:11(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Thanks for the information. Would like to close out the topic as the short has been found and repaired and my new 6021 is in and everything is running as designed. It was, as I suspected from an old 5111 M-track feeder in which the red wire had faded to brown. It still concerns me that a "small" short can cause damage without triping out. I will try to have the old 6021 repaired based on the information that I was given.

Dick Setterlund
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />Tex, here is the thread in question:- https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8569

Transistors are standard BDW93C/94C Darlingtons. (Note: insulation from the heat sink is required - which means you need the insulating washers that go with the transistors, plus some heatsink compound)