Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AtlanticMan  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2017 20:40:26(UTC)
AtlanticMan

United States   
I have decided to use all my M-track and to put up catenary. Lots of the older Marklin catenary system is available on Ebay, and this system went with the M-track. I will be satisfied with that even tho the catenary itself is a bit 'clunky'. The Marklin section is my layout will be simple, a loop with the 5200 series curve tracks (equivalent to about 18" radius) and with longer straight sections. I have noticed that on Ebay there are several lengths of catenary available. What would be the proper lengths for the straight and curved sections? Thanks.
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2017 21:48:26(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, if nobody already has it, when i get home tomorrow i can scan a manual for you. But if you havent bought anything yet i stronlgly recommend that you go for a newer and better looking one.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2017 19:23:59(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: AtlanticMan Go to Quoted Post
I have decided to use all my M-track and to put up catenary. Lots of the older Marklin catenary system is available on Ebay, and this system went with the M-track. I will be satisfied with that even tho the catenary itself is a bit 'clunky'. The Marklin section is my layout will be simple, a loop with the 5200 series curve tracks (equivalent to about 18" radius) and with longer straight sections. I have noticed that on Ebay there are several lengths of catenary available. What would be the proper lengths for the straight and curved sections? Thanks.

Using longer lengths will reduce the number of masts required on the straights, using shorter sections on curves will mean less bending and for some, more visually pleasing.

If you have no turnouts it's simple but if you do have turnouts and in particular crossings or double-slips then it requires more planning of mast placement.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline analogmike  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2017 02:19:30(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Using the shorter sections in curves is recommended for stability therefore increasing reliability.
So you have to ask yourself: Do you want it to look good or do you want it to run good?
Maintaining standards of quality during construction of a layout will slow down the work but the extra time spent will be well worth it down the road.
Construction on my layout has slowed to a crawl because I am in the process of dismantling/rebuilding every switch, signal etc. So when my catenary goes up I'll never have to go back and fix something that I thought was "good enough" at the time.
Good luck.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike