Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline scottnl1947  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2017 05:22:35(UTC)
scottnl1947

United States   
All,

I'm am primarily a US HO modeler (DCC) with a focus on Santa Fe steam, warbonnet diesels and streamlined locomotives from the 30's and 40's. While shopping for DC version of the DRG 19 1001, I came across the Kruckenberg Scheinenzeppelin. I purchased kit 3077, with goal of converting it to DCC. This may be sacrilegious, but I stripped out the Marklin components and installed a Northwest Shortline Stanton powered truck in front and a dummy Stanton truck in the back. I installed a loksound decoder with the Schienenzeppelin sound file loaded. I've heard that the propeller motor is not top notch, so I want to replace it with a small can motor.

After installing the decoder, the model did run. However, the model only moves after turning it on and advancing the throttle. The model accelerates very quickly. I suspect I need to modify some of the decoder settings, especially when I install the propeller motor. I know this will be a trial and error procedure. I thought I might inquire if anyone else had done a DCC modification using a Loksound Select decoder and what settings did they modify to start the motor, then the fan and have better speed control. I also have a 3477 Scheinenzepplin that I may convert using the Marklin conversion kit as outlined in Tip: 60903 Conversion of the 3477 Rail Zeppelin. That may be the better route to go, but I like tinkering, so...

Thank you!
Scott
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2017 09:26:19(UTC)
H0

Hi, Scott!
Originally Posted by: scottnl1947 Go to Quoted Post
I suspect I need to modify some of the decoder settings
ESU decoders come with a universal default settings, but for unusual motors they have to be changed.
If is does not start moving at speed step 1 you may have to set the minimum speed (could be CV 2).

The latest Schienenzeppelin from Märklin had the propeller motor connected to an AUX function output set to "Smoke" mode. The propeller runs faster when the car starts moving.
With an ESU decoder you might get more than 2 propeller speeds fiddling with the settings for AUX1[1] and AUX1[2] or by connecting both AUX1 and AUX2 to the propeller.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2017 11:12:44(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
All,

I'm am primarily a US HO modeler (DCC) with a focus on Santa Fe steam, warbonnet diesels and streamlined locomotives from the 30's and 40's. While shopping for DC version of the DRG 19 1001, I came across the Kruckenberg Scheinenzeppelin. I purchased kit 3077, with goal of converting it to DCC. This may be sacrilegious, but I stripped out the Marklin components and installed a Northwest Shortline Stanton powered truck in front and a dummy Stanton truck in the back. I installed a loksound decoder with the Schienenzeppelin sound file loaded. I've heard that the propeller motor is not top notch, so I want to replace it with a small can motor.

After installing the decoder, the model did run. However, the model only moves after turning it on and advancing the throttle. The model accelerates very quickly. I suspect I need to modify some of the decoder settings, especially when I install the propeller motor. I know this will be a trial and error procedure. I thought I might inquire if anyone else had done a DCC modification using a Loksound Select decoder and what settings did they modify to start the motor, then the fan and have better speed control. I also have a 3477 Scheinenzepplin that I may convert using the Marklin conversion kit as outlined in Tip: 60903 Conversion of the 3477 Rail Zeppelin. That may be the better route to go, but I like tinkering, so...

Thank you!
Scott

Hi Scott!
Too bad I no longer live in Sonoma, we could have played with this one together.
(I even went to the Sonoma airfield one day to record a taxiing/departing plane for the sound files, just to get that "propeller" feel!) !!)
I strongly suspect the NWSL motor need some special tuning of the "driving characteristics" of the DCC ESU decoder
CV 53 is critical to start with.
You want to make sure that the car doesn't reach it maximum speed before the throttle is "all open".
So try to reduce the value in CV53 until you still measure a speed difference going from speed step 27 to 28. (It's easier to run in that 28 steps mode for the adjustments' sake)
Now you can fine tune the CV 51, 52 54 and 55 to achieve a nice and smooth speed regulation across the whole range
Of course adjust top speed accordingly and min speed for proper behavior at speed step 1.
Now you can adjust the shape of the speed curve for all the intermediary steps. (linear, progressive, exponential, whatever gets your fancy!)
BTW, this is way easier to perform using the ESU Lokprogrammer! (which I assume the tinkerer in you already owns Wink )
Have fun, and keep us posted!
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline scottnl1947  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2017 20:52:02(UTC)
scottnl1947

United States   
All,
Thank you for your prompt replies!. I have the Lokprogrammer and have done a couple of modifications to other Loksound decoders. I look forward to playing with this one as well. I am going to purchase a small can motor from Northwest Shortline for the propeller. I'll keep you posted.

Do you know of any sources for line drawings of the Scheinenzeppelin? I see that the original had exhausts, for the engines, coming through the roof of the unit. I'd like to add these, but would like at least a basic reference for location.

Cheers,
Scott
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2017 23:24:07(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
All,
Thank you for your prompt replies!. I have the Lokprogrammer and have done a couple of modifications to other Loksound decoders. I look forward to playing with this one as well. I am going to purchase a small can motor from Northwest Shortline for the propeller. I'll keep you posted.

Do you know of any sources for line drawings of the Scheinenzeppelin? I see that the original had exhausts, for the engines, coming through the roof of the unit. I'd like to add these, but would like at least a basic reference for location.

Cheers,
Scott

If you google Schienenzeppelin....you'll find a plethora of info

Here's a teaser....Schienenzeppelin Youtube

What is not told in Wikipedia is that the real reason to build this vehicle was to test an airplane motor (the BMW VI 12 cyl) at a moment when building large airplanes was forbidden to the Germans by way of the Versailles treaty.

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline ixldoc  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2017 01:42:37(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Which is why I decided to furnish my version with twin pipes! Cool
Zeppelin D.jpg
Remotored propeller and electronics to give low idle speed and higher fixed speed while running.
Zeppelin E.jpg
Zeppelin H.jpg
I don't have a Lokprogrammer hence the old fashioned electronics. I should have tried harder changing CV's !
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ixldoc